A Bad Accident

hytorksc

I was rear ended very hard today by a Ford F-350 utility truck which thrusted my SC into another car, completely rendering my supercoupe useless. The damage is very significant, and it will probably be totaled.

I had minor injuries, but my wife had contusions and other complications which were much more serious. We just got back from ER and we are holding out ok i guess.

Well... i have lost my SC :( , and i doubt i will get another one again. So i'm saying goodbye to this wonderful forum and it's great people. I joined back in 2002, and i have learned and acquired so much technical knowledge about cars it's not funny. The SC is/was my total inspiration, and that car was the ONLY car that has the capability to do everything well, and still be relatively cheap. You will not find such a car brand new unless you are spending $50k or more. It truly is the king of torque. Fairwell and take care.

hytorksc said:
I joined back in 2002, and i have learned and acquired so much technical knowledge about cars it's not funny. The SC is/was my total inspiration, and that car was the ONLY car that has the capability to do everything well, and still be relatively cheap. You will not find such a car brand new unless you are spending $50k or more. It truly is the king of torque..

Also...Glad to hear that you and your wife are both OK...Having got that out of the way...

In regards to what I quoted from your post. After such a statement why and the heck would you choose to bail on the SC?? Or are you just bailing on cars as a hobby all together..??

Brad

Can certainly understand the feeling this soon after a bad accident. Glad you and your wife survived. Perhaps later down the road after you and the wife have had time to heal, you can re-evaluate.
I'm almost paranoid at times driving my car in traffic. That's why I'm glad I don't have to drive it everyday.
Did the accident cause the air bags to deploy?

Glad you two are ok. Sorry to hear about ur car. Take some time to think it over, these cars are so addictive many who sell end up coming back.

Again, glad you guys are ok.

Cars can be replaced, your lives cannot. Glad you are ok.

If you have some room you could buy the car back from the insurance and then part it out, or remove your engine and trans from it, junk the shell, and sell the motor and tranny for money.

I think if I totalled mine I'd pull my engine and trans and rear out, sell what I could, junk the car. Maybe find one with a blown engine to swap mine into or sell them. I have a few SC's so I could go without one of them. I'd be pissed, but life would go on.

Glad to hear your ok..But what about SC's forever!

Now that your SC protected you....Commone....You know you need another....If it were a civic perhaps we wouldnt be speaking to ya now

:O)

Regardless glad to se eyou are doing well

Hey Guys!

thanks for your thoughts, and encouragements. I hate to drop the SC, but right now unfortunately i have absolutely no capacity to regain what i have lost. i may just take a break for a few months and get back into it- but, for right now it's a devastating loss. My wife is seriously injured, and will have to go to therapy most likely. And myself, not as bad as her. The tow truck driver just told me that it was a very nice car and it's a shame it got messed up. i guess he had a chance to look it over closely. I hate to leave the forums, but i will post every once in a while and try to keep in touch. Right now my life's assessment disables me from getting back into an SC project, because you all know when you buy one, you are commiting to alot more work and wrenching just to get the thing to run reliably. That one took me 9 months to get it to near perfect running condition. We are all brothers and i will never forget any of you. maybe i'll be back with one, we'll have to see.

later-

Get a good LAWYER!! If your wife and you are injured you have a right to collect. Dont let some incurance agent or claims adjuster try to buy you out cheap. Tell them that besides your injuries you lost a very rare hard to replace car.:mad:

tim said:
Get a good LAWYER!! If your wife and you are injured you have a right to collect. Dont let some incurance agent or claims adjuster try to buy you out cheap. Tell them that besides your injuries you lost a very rare hard to replace car.:mad:
already on it my friend.

Glad you are both recovering!

Just remember not to go lighter in whatever else it is you drive! You guys survived because of the weight + size of the car.... Like Damon said, in a Honda or the like, forget about it.
My next family car will be a Caprice or Crown Vic cuz I dont want to lose my family that way if I can help it!
I'd been rearended in a Co Taurus TWICE in one year, and after those incidents, I won't DARE go with a small car.
Take care,

paul:)

thirdbird said:
Just remember not to go lighter in whatever else it is you drive! You guys survived because of the weight + size of the car.... Like Damon said, in a Honda or the like, forget about it.
My next family car will be a Caprice or Crown Vic cuz I dont want to lose my family that way if I can help it!
I'd been rearended in a Co Taurus TWICE in one year, and after those incidents, I won't DARE go with a small car.
Take care,

paul:)
thanks- definitely not going Honda, Toyota, or even Nissan (besides i already have one of these and it's definitely not impressive performance-wise like everyone else seems to be hyped up about). i went to the yard where my SC was being kept, and i saw a Honda civic right beside it that had been t-boned.. the tow guy said that person did not survive it. The next one will still be a specialty vehicle i'm sure because i do want a good size and lots of torque. i just have to wait until everything settles down and see.

Last edited:
Very sad to hear that this has happened to you. I understand the gravity of the situation and I wish you only the best in your recoveries. I totally understand how the car is not and probably will not be a priority for at least an extended while. If and when you get the urge to come back we will be here to help you with the next one. In the mean time just worry about yourselves. :)

You'll be a loss to our community but still an asset to the reputation of SC's everywhere. Take care.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully you will not suffer and long term health (or otherwise) affects from the accident.

I think one of the things forget about these cars (this platform) that when it was designed back in the eightys, it was one of the top five safest cars in the world! Actually in a rollover, the Cougar, because of its roof line, ranked either #2 or #1 at the time.

I'm sure that you know by know, you have all of this communities support behind you as things like this are all of our worst night mares.

All the best.

1HUMINBIRD said:
Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully you will not suffer and long term health (or otherwise) affects from the accident.

I think one of the things forget about these cars (this platform) that when it was designed back in the eightys, it was one of the top five safest cars in the world! Actually in a rollover, the Cougar, because of its roof line, ranked either #2 or #1 at the time.

I'm sure that you know by know, you have all of this communities support behind you as things like this are all of our worst night mares.

All the best.
definitely realize that- My wife and i would not be here if this happened in a honda. Thanks to you and everyone else for the support and kind words.

I know your pain I had an accident some guy ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of my Tbird I hit him at about 45 mph and not a scratch on me,my mom, my girl or my 82 year old aunt (we were on the way to a family reunion)

I hope you are all right and wish your and your wife the best and a speedy recovery;)

Back