Spark plug selection confirmation needed....

HoseHead

My parts guy couldn't get the factory plug, therefore cross referenced to these:

NGK GPower - Part# TR5-1GP 3716

Are these factory equivalent? Thanks for your advice.

Engine is a bone stock 124,000 km '90 SC behind an AOD with a recent blower, crank sensor, cam sensor, alternator, PS pump, tranny and now about to get a new water pump. I'm going to do plugs and wires since the engine bay is pretty bare at the moment.

NTF - Those of you with cars of this mileage may want to pull out your intercooler to clean it or at least use pressurized water from the inside of the IC and blow out the garbage collected on the front of the IC. Not too powerful though as the fins are fragile. This IC was factory original but 60% of the cooling fins were caked/plugged with grease and grime. This thing couldn't have cooled down a large double double.

Bruce

I used these plugs for a season while running nitrous, they worked fine.

Now that the nitrous is gone I am using Autolite 103's.

here is a list of plug skus

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1140578

In my humble opinion, the oems are the best for durability and duration. I've tried the NGK platinum ok and the Iridium when they first came out. The iridiums are bullet proof . The last ones that I've tried have been the Champion double platinums. I believe that Autolite manufactures the oem for Ford ?? When you see Platinum that means that just the center electrode is made of platinum. When you see double platinum , both the center and ground electrode are platinum. The link site above will fill you in with all of the details.

Wayner the SC guru suggested that once you have become an expert in the art form of changing your plugs with your well fed python arms you can do them annually with any kind of plug and have your plugs fresh every year. The older the car the less likely that the plugs will stand up for 4 years.

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp

As for the gapping, .054 is suggested and over time they will open a bit. The Aurora Wire people suggested that the gap can be increased up to .005" with their wires. I did that , but will be taking them out this spring to see how they are standing up. Pictures at 11.

Last edited:
Don't use the NGK gpower plugs I had a set in a parts car that would not run swaped them out and it ran like a champ. all that to hear the motor run.lol

Jason Wild said:
Don't use the NGK gpower plugs I had a set in a parts car that would not run swaped them out and it ran like a champ. all that to hear the motor run.lol

Just did my plugs today. Removed the NGK (TR55-1GP) and they were still in excellent condition (I put them in less than 5000 kms ago).....car ran great with them, well..... good enough for a 14.001 at least.

I'll let you guys know how the Autolite's are once I get the car running.

I still have to do mine...never changed them before in an SC..so I am kinda dreading it ;-)

Cheers.

Back