Cam selection and you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
JStudrawa said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but where is this list of vendors? What forum?

If I want a cam, where is the "CAM SELLERS" forum?

I see Group Buys (no, I just want one), a LINKS page that gives me really no info about what those links are about (just a damn lot of car related links), a SELLER'S NEW PARTS OUTLET (not used much), and a MEMBERS DISCOUNTS (not much there) forum. None really contain what I need.

Point is, I am ignorant. I don't turn wrenches. I play video games like a mofo and can do taxes like a pro. So if I want to go fast, do I humble/debase myself like certain folks here think because I don't work on my own car? Or do I seek a listing of vendors and services? I have the money, just not the knowledge. I bust my ~~~ as an accountant so I don't HAVE to wrench. So I want vendors to make noise. I want word of mouth (or post of mouth). i want a small banner under your sig that says what you do. How else will I know?

Since we have no set LIST or YELOW PAGE FORUM by TYPE OF SERVICE, what am I left with? Either seeing a random banner or asking who sells what, in the non-tech forum.

Until the SCCoA gets some organization, things with continue as they have been. *shrug*

Unless I am wrong and there is a nice little vendor info link I am missing? Where are my yellow pages sorted by service provided?

Dave, HOW/WHERE/WHEN do you actually advertise? Or are you small enough you don't need to at all?

Btw, I don't agree or disagree, as I know nothing about cams :)

Edit: Also, you're wasting your time typing as well. Same with computers, etc. No "one size fits all" in most products on the market. Should be common sense. Go back to work!

http://www.sccoa.com/discounts/

supertbird89 said:
Ok I am building my engine by myself, and everything about has been done by me. And each cam is made to your aplication he needs to know your plans and what you have at the moment just like any cam. But as you want proof I can't say until Victor is ready........ And if you are say why fix what isnt broken you arent actully building a car. You have a car then. And as far as proof once the person tells Victor he can post he info I can post mine. But rest a sure you wont have to just read about it for long you will see it.

So what I got from that is that you are still building the engine that the cam you bought belongs to. OK.....that makes it a little difficult to determine how well the cam choice was made.

supertbird89 said:
And when the person you are actually dealing is coming from flordia to iowa to vist you and see your work, I dont see that from anyone else. I have talked to.

You seem impressed by this, yet this sort of thing happens pretty frequently. Just off the top of my head, I can think of three of the vendors on this site that have visited my shop in person to see my projects. I try to do the same with some of my customers, though unfortunately, I don't have much time to devote to traveling.

-Rod

JStudrawa said:
Doesn't list by item or service. Would be nice to see the main vendors that touch the SC and what they do. Not just those with a website.

For instance, Supercoupes Unlimited isn't there.

Yes, it would be nice, but the way it is right now you have to go to the site to see what they do. It's not that big of an inconvenience I don't think.

pablon2 said:
Yes, it would be nice, but the way it is right now you have to go to the site to see what they do. It's not that big of an inconvenience I don't think.

Well, it's not THAT bad, no. Could be more informational, yes. Again, Dalke isn't there.

How about a VENDORS or SERVICES forum? Like we do with the Knowledgable SC Mechanics?

Start a new thread about each vendor and what they provide and any good feedback?

For example:

Name: JTS XR7 Renovations
Specialty: Deconstruction of XR7's
Other Services: Tire Wear Guages, Rim Rashing, Exhaust Rust Applications

Comments: The guy can tear apart your XR7 faster than any mechanic in the South :)

Just brainstorming.

JStudrawa said:
Well, it's not THAT bad, no. Could be more informational, yes. Again, Dalke isn't there.

How about a VENDORS or SERVICES forum? Like we do with the Knowledgable SC Mechanics?

Start a new thread about each vendor and what they provide and any good feedback?

For example:

Name: JTS XR7 Renovations
Specialty: Deconstruction of XR7's
Other Services: Tire Wear Guages, Rim Rashing, Exhaust Rust Applications

Comments: The guy can tear apart your XR7 faster than any mechanic in the South :)

Just brainstorming.

Pitch it to George. As far as why Dalke isn't listed with the vendors, you'd have to ask him.

Ok so i just came out here to say that you now victor has nice cams too, because everytime someone says something about the guy it seems like he gets bashed so i figured i would just state my expierence and opinion so others would know, that werent as knowledgeable or were new. And I have ran the cam but that was in a different engine. And I am in the process of building another. So thats all I am stating. And I would agree with everyone that it is about trust and your opinion. But for some reason it seems like that whenever someone says something about spinningwheels-sc and victor it gets all defensive to dalke. And I wasnt coming out to automatically put dalke down cause I havent worked with him much.

Last edited:
Supertbird....everyone gets bashed. Coy, Charles, Victor and Dave. It's nothing personal, it's just the human nature around here. So Victor isn't getting ganged up on...he's just not getting special treatment by being excluded from the experience.

“I have the money, just not the knowledge.”

Josh, I hate to come off snotty, but these forums are full of the answers if you would just take the time to read. For instance, if you know that you want a cam….do a search for cams and read everything that comes up. So what if it takes you a week to wade through. See what people are using, where they bought from, and hopefully try to find some before and after performance data. You may have to email people asking specifics. It probably won’t be a 5 minute procedure to familiarize yourself with the topic and make an informed decision.

If you just want to go fast and turn your car over to someone and say “Here…make it faster” then you will be in a world of hurt. You have to educate yourself on the basics in order to get an idea of what direction you want to go with your car. Then take the time to read up on some of the possibilities so you’ll know where you can get parts. Hopefully in this process you’ll be able to recognize and outrageous claim when they are made and won’t have to part with your money due to some of the research you’ve done.

In my case, I looked on these forums to see what cam’s people were using. The Crane 208 was popular. Fortunately for me, I was able to consult a member who was a trusted friend and had performance documentation on his car. He supplied me with part numbers, I contacted Crane and Comp Cams directly for parts. But I couldn’t have just shown up at sccoa.com and waited for cam info to drop out of the sky.

Micah, I totally understand what you mean. But the problem is I have a very hard time grasping it all. Hence why I ask and ask the same crap. I bug Rick and Mike to death. I just cannot get my mind wrapped around how they all affect each other on all their levels.

In regards to cars, I NEED a structured way of going fast. Or rely on someone else to figure it and apply it. For instance, if Dalke knows how to get to 400+rwhp (he does, he posted it), then why can;t I give him my car and $5k (or however much) and expect 400 horse?

You're not being snotty or condescending at all. I should be able to say "I want this" and send a check. Even if I do all the research AND understand it all, it still comes down to paying someone else to do it. Right?

I don't want cam info. I could care less. Just like when you go to CompUSA and say "I want a PC that will burn DVD's, play Oblivion at 60fps, and rock my house", they go... here's the HP Pavilion XXXX. Credit Card, bamm!

damn it, I just answered myself :( Buying a PC isn't that easy either, as the above scenario requires some questions asked as well.

yeah and then you get a pc that its suppose dto do that , but at the end doesnt deliver.....

but if you plan ahead and build your custom pc you can have it cheaper , faster and a higher quality one ;)

turbospeed said:
yeah and then you get a pc that its suppose dto do that , but at the end doesnt deliver.....

but if you plan ahead and build your custom pc you can have it cheaper , faster and a higher quality one ;)

Exactly. I haven't purchased a boxed PC since my old 486sx16 :) What aggravates me the most is that I can build a rig no problem and research PC stuff, it's just that car stuff is a mental block. :(

After reading this thread and looking over some of the
RWHP & RWTQ numbers of some of the people posting here.
I am very happy with the price and performance of my
stock cam and heads.:)

Randy

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
After reading this thread and looking over some of the
RWHP & RWTQ numbers of some of the people posting here.
I am very happy with the price and performance of my
stock cam and heads.:)

Randy

hahaha that was great

Hello everyone,

I would love to respond to each and every one of you, but right now I am too damn busy. My wife had her hand caught in a Super Coupe door as I was ready to leave for Iowa, Nebraska, California, and Oregon. I will answer this post as soon as I get a moment to myself. Or maybe I will when you are all done posting!!! I will see and meet some of you in due time. Maybe you will have a different opinion of me once you get to know me a little better than you do now. If I could get away more often I would but we have a business to run and this sure can be distracting.

Be safe and take care!
Victor.......

PS I did start a post regarding a "GROUP BUY FOR CAMS" in the proper forum,and just like before, it got hijacked into a post about how great David is. Actually, the first post David wrote happens to be exactly how we feel and do.....or at least 95% of what he writes not everything. David does one some things, I do others. That is just the way it is. Sorry I missed you in Nebraska. Maybe next time....

supertbird89 said:
Ok so i just came out here to say that you now victor has nice cams too, because everytime someone says something about the guy it seems like he gets bashed so i figured i would just state my expierence and opinion so others would know, that werent as knowledgeable or were new. And I have ran the cam but that was in a different engine. And I am in the process of building another. So thats all I am stating. And I would agree with everyone that it is about trust and your opinion. But for some reason it seems like that whenever someone says something about spinningwheels-sc and victor it gets all defensive to dalke. And I was coming out to automatically put dalke down cause I havent worked with him much.

WHY WOULD EVEN THINK OF COMING OUT TO AUTOMATICALLY PUT DALKE DOWN WHEN HE IS ONE OF THE MOST TRUSTWORTHY, HELPFUL, INFORMATIVE, KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE HERE THAT CONTRIBUTE TO THIS COMMUNITY AS WELL AS VICTOR, BILL AND MANY OTHER SC VENDORS. OH HELL YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PAID FOR MEMBERSHIP! SNAP

why pay for a membership, what do i get out of it a bunch of discounts i dont need cause i get all my parts from one person. Makes sense on that one, or pay to read more horse ~~~~~. Makes alot of sense, all of my friends and there cars all the forums they have out there for other cars that are absoulutly free, and help people just like this. Why waste my money when it can be spent better somewhere else. And who the hell cares if i attack anyone everyone attacks everyone on here and its quite funny. So what do i need to pay for? Exactly, nothing. And if you can trust someone great i found someone i trust and it differs from you, i am happy and so are you. I am just helping other people out here trying to help out a friend selling a part. And as soon as I say Victor or spinning wheels someone has to say Dalke is better. Better why, ITS CAUSE YOU TRUST HIM. And instead of everyone on this site automatically saying dalke when someone says anything about someone else, i wanted to offer an alternative for the other people out there.

supertbird89 said:
why pay for a membership, what do i get out of it a bunch of discounts i dont need cause i get all my parts from one person. Makes sense on that one, or pay to read more horse ~~~~~. Makes alot of sense, all of my friends and there cars all the forums they have out there for other cars that are absoulutly free, and help people just like this. Why waste my money when it can be spent better somewhere else. And who the hell cares if i attack anyone everyone attacks everyone on here and its quite funny. So what do i need to pay for? Exactly, nothing. And if you can trust someone great i found someone i trust and it differs from you, i am happy and so are you. I am just helping other people out here trying to help out a friend selling a part. And as soon as I say Victor or spinning wheels someone has to say Dalke is better. Better why, ITS CAUSE YOU TRUST HIM. And instead of everyone on this site automatically saying dalke when someone says anything about someone else, i wanted to offer an alternative for the other people out there.

I would hope you have said your piece already. Could there possibly be any more to say that isn't just reiteration? If you don't like the way things are around here, might I encourage you to frequent the other sites/clubs you speak so highly of? I can only imagine that your reception at these sites is much more sunny than here. We all have our squabbles on this site, but it is fairly humourous and a bit embarrasing for me to read what you are posting. You may become upset when reading this, but I am embarrased for you when I read some of the things you write. I too feel you should pay to complain. If you don't then you come across as someone that complains about the way America is run, but s/he doesn't pay any taxes. Another thing, it seems to go without saying, but then again maybe not, but one should spend some time "in" the club and maybe earn some respect before they are going to be taken seriously. With such a low post count and non-paying status your words will fall mainly on deaf ears. Do what you want, most people do anyhow. They do what they want, not what's best. Sometimes these two things are the same, most times they are not. (George if you have to yank this, so be it. I tried very hard to keep it clean and diplomatic. Besides, it's no more off topic than 95% of the posts in this thread.)

Maybe George should look hard at this thread. In my opinion even Dave orignal post does not belong here. This is a Forum for Group Purchases/Specials. I dont see how a discussion on how cams are selected belongs here. I dont see any,lets get 10 guys together to buy a cam here. I dont see any special prices on Cams here. So what is this thread here for. Everyone loves to climb on these things and side with their favorite vender. Seems our administrator should step in and move the thread to the lounge where paying members can have it out if they so choose. If I was new to this club I would walk away shaking my head wondering why I want to belong to a club where we beat each other up so much just because. I belong because I have got my money back 10 fold in information and help. I am sick of the bickering and I think the venders, Dave Victor and the rest wonder why they should try to bring us all the best in high performace parts and get shafted everytime on these forums. I think most of these post should be deleted and the thread moved to another forum but then that is my opinion

Ken

supertbird89 said:

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ONLY HORSE~~~~ IS COMING FROM YOUR POST. YOU SAY THERES NO REASON FOR YOU TO PAY FOR A MEMBERSHIP HERE WHEN THERES NOTHING HERE FOR YOU, WELL MAYBE YOU DON'T NEED TO BE HERE ANYWAY. THE PEOPLE HERE DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER AS YOU HAVE IMPLIED, THE TRUTH IS THESE PEOPLE CONTINUOUSLY HELP EACH OTHER REGARDLESS OF THEIR DIFFERENCE OF OPINION. THESE PEOPLE GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP FELLOW MEMBERS AND OTHERS THAT ARE NEW TO THE CLUB.

ANOTHER TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF ANYTHING YOU HAVE POSTED SO IT WILL BE TAKEN AS SUCH (HORSE~~~~). THAT BEING SAID, IF THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE YOU PROBABLY SHOULD TAKE IT TO THOSE OTHER SITES YOU REFER TO. THIS KIND OF HELP IS NOT WELCOME.
STOP HATING

We are done with this.

Vendor makes a informative post and we end up arguing over who is a member. My only question is why do ANY of the vendors put up with US? Can’t be the money or the glowing praise for great products and services. They must either really love these cars or are complete masochists. I know all them personally, so fortunately I realize it is the love of the car. (Well, maybe some masochism, but only on the weekends.) You people would never act this way face to face with any of these guys/gals!

Let me make a few points. While these are public forums and we welcome everyone whether they choose to be a member or not, if you are just here to watch and participate in a train wreck, these forums are NOT for you. And members, please do not remind everyone who is not a member of that fact. It is not relevant.

Don’t just come in a thread by one vendor just to say your guy is better. I’m sure he is to you, but all of our tremendous number of vendors (what maybe 4-5 vendors, total?) is good to someone or they would not be here. Each one brings something different to the community.

If you have a really good (or bad) experience with a vendor, we have a Feedback Forum for people who actually have had the experience. Post your experiences, read others experiences, ask questions and make an informed choice.

I realize that by closing this thread I am being unfair to the original poster and not giving the other vendors time to respond. Don’t email me about it. I have upset everyone so I realize I am doing a great JOB! LOL Besides, you all know better and I should NOT be using time today to end this.

We at the SCCoA have always prided ourselves on being different than a lot of the other websites that allowing fussin’ and fightin’. It is great to ask even the tough questions of vendors, it is not so great to keep beating on a DEAD issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back