Thread: 1990 Sc

1990 Sc

Hello, I am getting ready to join the ranks of another proud SC owner. I am going to be buying 1990 White Auto SC. There were just a few questions I had concerning the car since I am a little new to them. Almost everything on the car works well surprisingly. But there are some concerns that I have. The car sometimes gets an intermittent Check engine light. It will come on for about a minute or so and then just turn off. I was just wondering if there were any common problems on these cars that would trigger the CEL? I am probably going to get a OBD1 Scanner anyways though just in case.

Also under hard braking the ABS and E-brake lights both light up. The ABS still works though, kinda funny? Is it just the shift in fluid that is triggering the ABS light to come on? I am sure it is but just wanted to see if anybodyelse had any ideas about it though.

The only other issues the car has is the passenger side switch for the window doesn't work but the drivers side switch can roll down the passenger window, no biggie should just be the switch. Also the door locks don't work. In Fox body mustangs it is very common for the Door lock actuator to take a crap. Is it common on the older SC's too.

Car should be alot of fun, it already has some light mods to it. 5% overdrive on the blower, Magnum powers CAI, C&L 76 MAF housing, Weld in Magnaflo catback, remote start and it has lowering springs as well. Car could us a little tuning, pinged a little bit under part throttle but fine under full throttle. I will probably get an oil seperater first just cause of the mileage.

Just wanted to pick your guys brains on setups and what not. I was thinking about running the Magnum Powers Stage 1 power kit.
    Which consists of,
    MagnaPortIII Conversion, Supercharger Rebuild and MPIII Intake Plenum
    Magnum Powers 85mm Throttle Body
    Magnum Powers Cold Air Kit with 3 " Chrome Intake Tube.

Basically I am just looking for around 300 rwhp & 380 tq at the tires and atleast run 13's on DR's. Just want to check to see what gears people are running and what are some weak points the car have? Like will the tranny hold (automatic)? How long will the halfshafts last . Any help could be appreciated. I am new to SC's. My family used to have one when I was 10 and I loved it.

I have been no stranger to speed though. I have owned a long list of mustangs and a lightning. All which ranged anywhere from the 10's to 12's in the quarter. Now I just have a 98 SVT Contour with some little go quick goodies . But I am going to spare the car from heavy modification due to the fact that it is so clean and runs really well, and I am saving the car for my girlfriend so when we get married she will have a nice quick realiable car to drive. So I am going to pick up the SC to be the go fast fun car. All your help and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ross

Cool

Welcome.
    Whatever I have a question about, I type it in the search dropdown.
    There is reading in there for you that will keep you busy for a solid month, with all those keywords in your post my friend!

paul

Speaking just for my Bird, both brake lights on the dash light up every time I touch the brakes, whether I hit em hard, or light. I always thought of it as a ghost in the machine, and didn't worry about it. The lights go out after the first pump on the pedal. Had the brakes checked, and got the ok on them. This is not a normal car in soooo many ways!

I think Beetlejuice lives in your dash>

Quote Originally Posted by 1slosnake
    Hello, I am getting ready to join the ranks of another proud SC owner. I am going to be buying 1990 White Auto SC. There were just a few questions I had concerning the car since I am a little new to them. Almost everything on the car works well surprisingly. But there are some concerns that I have. The car sometimes gets an intermittent Check engine light. It will come on for about a minute or so and then just turn off. I was just wondering if there were any common problems on these cars that would trigger the CEL? I am probably going to get a OBD1 Scanner anyways though just in case.

Also under hard braking the ABS and E-brake lights both light up. The ABS still works though, kinda funny? Is it just the shift in fluid that is triggering the ABS light to come on? I am sure it is but just wanted to see if anybodyelse had any ideas about it though.

The only other issues the car has is the passenger side switch for the window doesn't work but the drivers side switch can roll down the passenger window, no biggie should just be the switch. Also the door locks don't work. In Fox body mustangs it is very common for the Door lock actuator to take a crap. Is it common on the older SC's too.

Car should be alot of fun, it already has some light mods to it. 5% overdrive on the blower, Magnum powers CAI, C&L 76 MAF housing, Weld in Magnaflo catback, remote start and it has lowering springs as well. Car could us a little tuning, pinged a little bit under part throttle but fine under full throttle. I will probably get an oil seperater first just cause of the mileage.

Just wanted to pick your guys brains on setups and what not. I was thinking about running the Magnum Powers Stage 1 power kit.
    Which consists of,
    MagnaPortIII Conversion, Supercharger Rebuild and MPIII Intake Plenum
    Magnum Powers 85mm Throttle Body
    Magnum Powers Cold Air Kit with 3 " Chrome Intake Tube.

Basically I am just looking for around 300 rwhp & 380 tq at the tires and atleast run 13's on DR's. Just want to check to see what gears people are running and what are some weak points the car have? Like will the tranny hold (automatic)? How long will the halfshafts last . Any help could be appreciated. I am new to SC's. My family used to have one when I was 10 and I loved it.

I have been no stranger to speed though. I have owned a long list of mustangs and a lightning. All which ranged anywhere from the 10's to 12's in the quarter. Now I just have a 98 SVT Contour with some little go quick goodies . But I am going to spare the car from heavy modification due to the fact that it is so clean and runs really well, and I am saving the car for my girlfriend so when we get married she will have a nice quick realiable car to drive. So I am going to pick up the SC to be the go fast fun car. All your help and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ross
    Ross,

I read the Magnum Powers power recipies and all I can say is good luck hitting those numbers. I have never seen even one car, make 300 rwhp with stock heads and cam unless it was using nitrous or a twin screw supercharger.

For the performance level your seeking, the MAF and intake tube you already have will be plenty. A 75mm TB will work fine with the 3" intake tube and will support 350 plus rwhp.

The MPIII and matching plenum are going to be a huge improvement over the stock early model blower and plenum, but IMO they are not going to produce as much power as your expecting without additional mods.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    Ross,

I read the Magnum Powers power recipies and all I can say is good luck hitting those numbers. I have never seen even one car, make 300 rwhp with stock heads and cam unless it was using nitrous or a twin screw supercharger.

For the performance level your seeking, the MAF and intake tube you already have will be plenty. A 75mm TB will work fine with the 3" intake tube and will support 350 plus rwhp.

The MPIII and matching plenum are going to be a huge improvement over the stock early model blower and plenum, but IMO they are not going to produce as much power as your expecting without additional mods.

David
    Ahhhh just the guy I need to talk too. This is what I am looking for, I need to know what mods work and what are just junk... I am a mustang guy through and through. So I am just not to used to the SC aftermarket scene, and not sure of any of the combos. I guess I really need to just sign up to be a member so I can check out the members forum. Speaking of which who do I send the money to so I can join?

I was just thinking of running that combo till the head gaskets give up the ghost and then I will pull out the motor and put in some parts to make some real power

Ross,
    First of all I want to say welcome to the boards. I wish you lotsa luck on your endeavor to hit 300HP. I want to do it so bad I can taste it but having just gone through a nasty divorce in which I lost a lot I can only dream of 300HP because financially I cant think about it. I can't tell you much about mods because I dont know. I do have the 145MPH speedo in my car which looks cool but doesnt make it go any faster. In fact it tops out under 130. Anyway, good luck.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by repoman27
    Ross,
    First of all I want to say welcome to the boards. I wish you lotsa luck on your endeavor to hit 300HP. I want to do it so bad I can taste it but having just gone through a nasty divorce in which I lost a lot I can only dream of 300HP because financially I cant think about it. I can't tell you much about mods because I dont know. I do have the 145MPH speedo in my car which looks cool but doesnt make it go any faster. In fact it tops out under 130. Anyway, good luck.

Nick
    Gracias me amigo. It is kinda of funny that I am trying to reach a goal of 300 hp. It is funny the last car that I had at 300 hp was my first 347 Fox body that made 365hp/385tq, that was 4 years ago .

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, Hopefully everything worked out for you. Women are great but sometimes you just can't work things out, divorce can get ugly sometimes too. Just remember atleast its over and done with.

Do you happen to know who I should be in contact with to become a member here?