1990 Thunderbird sc

trublekat

Hello,
I am a new owner of a 90 super coupe and I have been having problems with it. Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. It idles up all by itself. We took the generator off and had it tested, it was bad, so we replaced that and it still idles up. Any advice on what could be wrong with it???? :confused:

By "idles up" do you mean that it idles at a fairly high RPM? Sounds like your IAC (idle air control) valve. It is mounted on the throttle body. It is the forward most and larger of the two electrical sensors mounted on the throttle body.

Yup. Idle air control valve for sure.

Also, if you get a new IAC valve, go to Ford for it. For some reason the auto parts store IAC valves do not work on our cars.

Last edited:
sensor

see, I had one sensor replaced already. The car started bucking and jerking when I gave it gas, shortly after I got it. They replaced , (ford), that sensor and told me I had another about to go out... would that make it idle up... Or do you think it is still what you said? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am a mere female.. lol and love my car... :) I just don't like spending money where I don't need too and here in Kansas they screw you over every chance they get...

here in Kansas they screw you over every chance they get...

Unfortunately, that is a nationally occurring phenomena at all Ford dealers. What other sensor did they replace before? I am guessing either the cam position sensor or the DIS module? I am quite confident that your current problem is the IAC valve. It is pretty easy to replace even for a "mere female" :) Expect to pay around $60-80 for the part at a Ford dealer. Shop around as prices vary from dealer to dealer. You may even want to have a male call and ask for pricing. It seems as though the dealer pricing is quite random and more dependent on the direction of the blowing wind than anything else and I have seen sexual discrimination against females at parts stores before (i.e. charging higher prices, unfortunate but it does happen).

They replaced the dis sensor.. yes, I always have a male call. The first time I called and priced something at a part store, don't remember what, I thought the quote was outragous. Got a male to call and gee, what do you know, the price was different. Well I will check into the aic. sensor.. or whatever that thingy was you said.. lol I can't see it, so I forgot it. hehe Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.. :)

The IAC valve is on the front of the throttle body. It kind of looks like a cylinder with a cone on the end of it. It is held onto the throttle body by two 10mm bolts. It should be fairly easy to replace. Remember to buy the part from Ford. Good luck!

Thanks........

I just wanted to thank you for all your help.. It was that part you said it was. We replaced it today and the car runs like a dream again.. Just remember, now you get bugged every time my car messes up.. lol It cost 90 dollars to buy the part from Ford, but at least I didn't have to pay them for labor charges.... Thanks again....

No problem. Glad I could help out. I still think that thing costs way too much, but then again so does every other part on the car. At least like you said you didn't have to pay labor. God knows how much they would have charged to remove two bolts, unplug a connector, replace the two bolts and plug the connector back in. Good luck with your car and have fun :) Feel free to bug away (well, that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean :) ) if you have anymore problems.

Bug.... Bug....

:) I have been enjoying my car..... hot roddin all over... :) It sure is nice to have a car that runs right again and doesn't eat all the gas in a block. It sure is nice talking to someone who truly helps without all the crap on the internet...:) ;)

Back