changing gears

thundrburd

ok , I am really thinking about changing the gears to 3.73 ratio, but what all do I need to do this ?? is it hard to do or would I be better off paying someone to do it ? also, on scp they said you need a bunch of other stuff with it for a 95 , but what all do you need ? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

I'm about to tackle the same thing. Went ahead and bought a rebuild kit for mine, as I've no idea what shape the bearings are in. Cost about 240$ shipped I believe, from Brenspeed (they run an ebay store or www.brenspeed.com). They seem to have pretty good stuff for good prices (cheaper than summit was going to be).

I can't see why a 95 would take different stuff. It should be an open diff anyway, so there's actually less to it (94+ have traction assist rather than traction lok rear ends I believe).

If you're not confident you can do it I'd have it done. Can't cost that much for someone to do, especially if you can pull it yourself and take them the differential.

I see that one of the cars is a five speed. Is your car a five speed Tony? I have a set of 3.55s in mine and I like it a bunch. For the Auto, I would run 3.73s. I can start in 2nd with the 3.55s with a bit (on the excessive side) of clutch. If you had 3.73s, I know you could do second gear starts. As far as the t-lok goes, that is not an issue when changing the gears. That is built on the inside of the carrier and the ring is on the outside.

Chris

What Bill @SCP is telling you, if you have an auto you will need a trac-lok setup. 94 & 95 auto SC's have open diff's.

Later
Ken

like it was mentioned earlier if you go to the trouble of installing gears you might as well install a trac loc.i installed a trac loc along with 3.73 gears in my 94sc auto and it's one of the best mods i done to date.it gives you that real seat of the pants feel in performance.

Setting up gears is not the simple job everyone thinks it will be you need to precisely adjust preload, and the shims have to be just perfect if you want a quiet rearend that will last.
Alan

thundrburd said:
ok , I am really thinking about changing the gears to 3.73 ratio, but what all do I need to do this ?? is it hard to do or would I be better off paying someone to do it ? also, on scp they said you need a bunch of other stuff with it for a 95 , but what all do you need ? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Tony, like has already been mentioned, setting up gears requires some special tools and is not the easiest thing to do. There are two shops in St Louis that I would recommend for gear installs. For top-of-the-line, I'd go to Schielle & Sons (not listed, but I can get the number if needed). Or Driveshafts Unlimited can do it.

I guess this means you fixed your CEL?

Are you going to try and stop by Thursday evening?

kurt, no I still have the cel problem, but it doesnt seem to be causing any problems so I am kind of ignoring it since it doesnt come on very often, but I am going to have my cousin at ruether ford put it on the computer to see what they come up with, but I do want to get the gears for it since I hear that is a mod to go with, and yes I am planning on meeting this thursday, just let me know when and where.

driveshafts unlimited put gears in ?? I didnt know they did installs, but I guess it does make since, I was thinking about asking transmitions to go, but I own a hardware store just down the street so they both come in pretty often, I guess I will ask them next time they come in

thanks for the help

Tony

thundrburd said:
I own a hardware store just down the street so they both come in pretty often, I guess I will ask them next time they come in

Tony

I figured that was you. I'm the young guy that gave you the AzzKicker Cars business card. Hope to see you Thursday night.

-Rod

yeah, I figured you were the one that gave me the card, but I didnt know for sure either, I still plan on coming by eventually to see your cars if possible, I have to say the one on your card is bad ~~~ though, and instead of ~~~~ing with my lx like I was asking about , I decided to just buy a sc and be done.

Well, I'll either have my Splitport LX or my DOHC XR7 at Kurt's house tomorrow night. So you'll get to see one of them. :)

-Rod

hey guys, let me know about what time your meeting , also I had something I just thought about, with performance to our cars, but I dont know if it is possible to do , so I would like to see if anyone knows if it is possible to do or if I would be worth it to do, but I will talk to you guys tomorrow about it

talk to you later

Tony

racecougar said:
Tony, I think Kurt was planning on having people over starting around 7PM or so.

-Rod

Yep, around 7:00 PM

PS Rod, I just finished my truck. Hopefully my VB arrives tomorrow as promised.

Kurt K said:
PS Rod, I just finished my truck. Hopefully my VB arrives tomorrow as promised.

Glad to hear that you got the truck fixed. I actually just finished detailing the underside of the XR7 a couple hours ago. Now I just have to wash/wax/polish the exterior tomorrow.

Give me a call if/when the VB shows up.

Oh, and I HATE my "driveway". :D It's impossible to keep my cars clean.

-Rod

I've got 3.73s in my otherwise stock '93 5 Speed. Second gear starts are easy. If I let my foot off the clutch in first gear, the thing just rolls along like a jeep in low range. Its a blast. Now I need some coil spring air bags so I can hook up - and some wider tires!

Ted

I see that one of the cars is a five speed. Is your car a five speed Tony? I have a set of 3.55s in mine and I like it a bunch. For the Auto, I would run 3.73s. I can start in 2nd with the 3.55s with a bit (on the excessive side) of clutch. If you had 3.73s, I know you could do second gear starts. As far as the t-lok goes, that is not an issue when changing the gears. That is built on the inside of the carrier and the ring is on the outside.

Chris

You are not that high on the highway unless you are going over 80. I have a set in my LX and like them just fine.

Chris

Back