Clutch not disengaging correctly.

Dustin Yenny

What could cause the clutch in my '91 to not disengage correctly? The fluid in the mater cylinder container is filled to the appropriate level! This problem seems random but it has been doing it more and more. I do hear a rattle when I take off in 1st and it only happens when I take off. A friend of mine suggested the rattle could be the throwout bearing....but he was just thinking. The clutch grabs high as it is so I am fearing its not healthy, I just need to know if something besides the clutch could cause these problems as I can get the work done fairly cheap but I'll have to drive it to the shop about 100 miles away and I take my own parts.

If you are just tuning in to the problems, I have a different post a few threads down. My car from time to time will not go in to any gear after I get it in neutral. If I shut the motor off when it does this the car goes right in to gear. It is stupid to shut your car off at every other stop sign just to get it in gear so I would like to get it fixed. I just had both motor mounts replaced and that did not fix the problem. There is still a clunking when the car won't go in to gear that I can not figure out!?!?!?!?!

I just sqeezed underneath the car and checked the u-joints. The car was in gear and there was no play (twisting the driveshaft)! However when I push up on it I hear a little noise and the transmission moves a very little bit. I noticed I can move the transmission crossmember a little bit. The bolts on the crossmember didn't seem loose but when I grabbed it and tried to move it the rubber flexed. I may just go ahead and replace the transmission mount since it doesn't look as tough as the motor mounts and see if it has anything to do with the problems.

Thanks for the reply but I doubt that is the problem. Why would the car go in gear fine when I shut the car off? Why won't it go in ANY gear? I have NO grinding, and shifting is otherwise SMOOTH. There is another guy with the same problems and he believes it has something to do with the slave cylinder. I am gonna have my mechanic put in a clutch. I get a good deal on labor, and I prefer to take the required parts because I can get them cheaper at say an Advanced Auto Parts whereas he deals with the local Ford Dealership. If someone on here has had a similar problem I would like to know. I am about 100 mile away from the shop and if the mechanic gets the transmission out and finds it needs other stuff like a slave or lines then I am screwed!

I was hopin' it was simply sumthin' like the clutch needing a good bleeding but I haven't seen anyone mention that yet. I'm payin' on a '94 5spd and it has the same symptoms and hope it just need sbleedin'.

Can you pump the clutch 3-4 times and then hold it in and get the tranny in gear? If so then it sure sounds like it just needs to be bled. Hope it works out good for ya.

'bird

Well, since I was bitching my father volunteered to drive the car and give me his opinion. He thinks the car is fine and its me! Sometimes the car does not like to go to 1st, 2nd, etc.. when it did this he put it in 5th and it dropped right into first. He says I am inpatient and get pissed them start trying to shove it and thats why it won't go in to the gears. The only other 5 speed I have owned was my SHO and I had similar problems. Is it normal for the car not to want to go into 1st or 2nd from time to time? Does it sound logical to try 5th and then 1st? I need input here. I still can't explain why the car will go right into gear if I shut the motor off!?!?!? By the way, sometime the car doesn't like to drop right in first....if you go to 1st it drops in! What up with this car?

I believe its the hydralic clutch fluid.. mine is black and watery, it should be almost clear and thicker. See your other post for more info..

Back