'03 SC Cobra motor in an SC

dirtybird91 said:
If David Neibert is remotely close on his estimate of $30K it will be much easier to just buy a low mileage '03-'04 Cobra and call it a day.;)
Frank

Yeah...but where's the fun in that Frank ? I would love to see someone install that motor in an early model SC, or even a late model.

David

Drew..You wouldnt want the tranny and the crate motor should come with a harness. So it would just be a matter of getthing the proper stand alone system

I kind of like the idea of having the six speed tranny in the coupe. Why wouldn't I want it. And if someone is going to say automatic is the way to go, there is no way that is going to happen. My wife will never get behind of a car with a manual transmission, so manual it is.

drewk said:
I kind of like the idea of having the six speed tranny in the coupe. Why wouldn't I want it. And if someone is going to say automatic is the way to go, there is no way that is going to happen. My wife will never get behind of a car with a manual transmission, so manual it is.

I was going to use an automatic out of a Lightning, mainly because I didn't want to deal with wheel hop.

David

The six speed shifter will be in the wrong spot and there are alot of mods to make it work..Only reason I mentioned it

drewk said:
Is there any way to use the manual tranny out of a stock SC with a modified bell housing?

probably...but why? If you are set on having a stick, i know of a Lenco forsale that will put the shifter(s) in the right spot :D :p

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I would think getting a standalone EFI setup would be the best route. Consider around 1,500 with a tune for that motor.
It would make the mechanics job alot easier as well

just curious...but where is this tune gonna come from? when you buy a FAST/BS3/etc. system, they dont come with a tune for your combo. And if you've never messed with any of these systems, putting a base tune in yourself will probably result in hurting the motor. There would be no need to go with a DFI really... the stock ECU for the cobra motor will support more power then he'd probably make anyway. I make 600+ with a stock A9L ecu with a Interceptor 2 system... and there are cars that have put down 700+ on non piggybacked A9L's

Make no mistake, I will not be attempting this project myself. I will certainly be gunning for the six speed even if it means cutting a hole in the floor in a different spot. I'm sure getting a new center console fabbed up will be low on the list of concerns. I am lovin the feedback from everyone and any info is helpful. On a non-related note, I will probably be looking for a new set of wheels when the project is complete. I heard that SVT was going to put a 32V 4.6 in a bird in '98, and it was going to have a different set of wheels on the car. Does anyone know what they looked like? I am guessing they're close to the Cobra rims, but I'm not sure. Anyone heard of or seen this car?

Blown Bird,

Depends who you get your EFI system from. EVERY one I have ever purchased came with a base tune to get my car running and well mind you. Even my old school batchfire DFI came with a base tune. Besides idle issues it ran great. I'd actually be curious how you ever got your car started if it didnt come with a "TUNE"? Or are you talking about a specific tune for a specific custom applications. Which a stock 03 Cobra motor is not. It's a stock motor. Noone can fine tune any custom combination in the mail

The reason to go aftermarket is ease of installation. I personally would rather do that then use a factory 03 cobra harness along with adapting that wonderful fuel system they come with...The cost involved to get all of that together?..Not worth it or the hassle involved when you can get a much better much more advanced standalone system which no matter how you slice it, the cobra EEC isnt let alone the A9l. I dont think there is a situation out there where a properly tuned FAST setup doesnt make more power. Like comparing a Macintosh to a new G5...Sure the MAC was amazing for its time and can still do some tricks. But it is limited in both speed and precise tunability. But we arnt even going there.

Whats easier and cheaper in the long run... Doing many a harness swap and many a standalone I can tell you beyong a shadow of a doubt the standalone is simpler. Time=$$....Why spend it there when you can spend it elsewhere

BTW my turbo old school batchfire DFI powered 302 made 748rwhp...All with a computer more archaic then the EECIII..Doesnt mean ist better, easier to tune or anything...

Back