Sc Took A Crap...(help)

wwotr

OK, this is getting all too familiar, with the vehicles I own, so I know I'm opening up for ALOT of input and opinions, but right now that's all I can afford.

First off, if I sound bitter, it's more out of FRUSTRATION than anything else.

Let me say this first:
1)I have LIMITED mechanical Knowledge.:(
2)I'm awaiting surgery on my shoulder/wrist, so any mechanical work or getting under. leaning over the car is out of the question.:(
3)I'm on Disability so my funds are EXTREMELY TIGHT.:(

Now that being said, I drive to the store yesterday and park the car.
I come out 5 minutes later and the SC wont start.
Let me rephrase that.
After 10 attempts at starting, it would BARLEY start to idle at about 500 RPM and the second, I'd try to put ANY gas to it....IT DIES.:eek:
Had it towed home and there it sits.:mad:

Questions/Comments/Opinions welcome.:rolleyes:
(Got A feeling I'm opening the door on this one!

It's a beautiful Car and my first thought was "~~~~ It" I'll get rid of it, but it's too nice of a car that I've brought this far.:cool:
Money is just so tight that last time this happened with a vehicle of mine, it spent 2 months in my garage and another 6 weeks at the mechanics and $1500.00 later and the car STILL didn't run!
I sold it for a loss.

Roger

Go to Napa auto store and buy a code reader that plugs in to the eec plug under the hood. I'm supprised that folks will start replacing parts and have know idea where to start looking for the problem. A code checker will give you a starting place. These are not very expenencive and a must for our cars!

Most of the time it will nail the problem for you right away. Just read the book that comes with it real good to get a real good idea on how to read the beeps.
At this point and time I would think it might be the cam sencor. If the motor will fire and run to a point then the crank sencor is fine.

Kurt

Thanks Curt,
Funny I just bought a $70.00 code reader for 1995 and up Dodges, (plugs in under the dash).
Where under the dash does the code reader you speak of, go?
I mean is there an actual plug that is easy to reach and plug into or is it one of those , "remove the cover and take off tab A to release the ratcheting mechanisum to slot C, while inserting you Left Testicle into the tail pipe" kinda thing?
Roger

With the hood open and you are standing in front of the car, look to the left corner (pass side) at the or near the fire wall,fender wall area. There will be a plug snaped to one of them. There a cover on the end of the plug that should read eec on it. It a fairily good size plug and not to hard to spot.
You can allways give me a call.....916.987.1784

Kurt

Does the Paperclip method work on these cars ?? I know some other cars Ive been able to do that and count the blinks on the dash without a code reader.
The rest of my cars are all OBD2

- Dan

Dan,
yes the paper clip method will work,but to exsplane it to folks that have little or know mech, back ground on how to do it and read the code , is going to be trouble some at most. I'm not bashing you here Roger, but a code reader would be easier in this case because the book will walk you threw it.

Kurt

No bash intended.
The wife and I had 3 Pontiac Fieroes that we did the "Paper Clip" method on.

;+)

But it is sad to see the Bird just sitting collecting dust out in the Driveway.:(
Roger

I know the feeling, I have 3 birds around the house collecting dirt and bird poo among other things.

I ran into this problem on my sister's Chevy S10 truck last year .. she was on the freeway and it just died, so they towed it over, and I came to check it out .. the truck would start, and idle poor, as soon as you gassed it, it died. Fuel pump was making a Buuuuzzz sound instead of the normal BZZZZZZZ :D
Turned out to be the Fuel pump .. easy $100 fix.

Umm, may not be your problem, but it sounds familuar. Id check fuel pressure, either that or some wire or sensor somewhere that would throw a code, usually a fuel pump problem wont have a code, but you can hear the pump going bad, doubt its a clogged filter but you never know.

Just something to check on ..

- Dan

Last edited:
Well the SC goes into the Mechanics on Monday, so I'll let you all know what the problem was as SOON as I find out.
In a perfect world, hopefully it will be minor, and this will allow me to have it also tuned upand the motor mounts replaced.
Roger

cats

I had the same problem with my 92 sport, replaced the fuel pump, turns out the cats fell apart on the inside and clogged the pipes. Fixed the cats and it runs perfect now.

OK, Seems I'm the "Comic Relief" here, so everone on the list remember my STELLAR question of .......
"which way does the Shifter Knob unscrew on my 90 SC"?
Well given this thread, my reputation holds true.
After my car died, and sat in front of my house for 5 weeks, I FINALLY had the cash to take it to the mechanics.
It wouldn't start for him either.
So I go down yesterday to see whats up with it.
He says "Whats up with it besides running out of gas".:eek:
He said he checked the pressure in the Fuel line but there was none.
Then he put in 2 gallons og gas and it started right up.
Says he drove it around and there was no problem. :D
So I told him to go ahead and do a tune-up on it.
My concern was that I had driven it before when it was "low on gas" and always got a "Low Fuel" light.
When I drove it to town a few weeks ago, it didn't exibit ANY signs of rough running, stumbiling, etc it ran fine.
I went into the store and came back out and it wouldn't start. It was parked on level ground.
So I'm asuming that my "Low Fuel" light was burnt out or I must have a Gas gauge thats off.
Anyways, at least it's getting a well deserved Tune-Up.
Thought I'd share, so bring on the laughs!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Roger

Does the SC have a Low fuel light ?
My LX just has the Check Gauges light that comes on .. I havent ever looked at the VMM in my 94 SC.

My Tbird did this last week before the car show, I had it running and it was a low, rough idle, then I gave it a little gas and it just died. So I started it back up and let it run for about 2 minutes and the car just died completely .. I knew it was out of gas. :rolleyes:

Sometimes its the most simple things that get you .. but at least you can laugh at yourself for that one. :D

- Dan

If you have a VMM then yes there is a low level indacater on it. It does light up a little dim though.....lower r/ hand corner.

Roger, your going to have to make one of these meets......I'm interested in meeting the person behind these goofy posts.;)

Kurt

Yea I was looking forward to that also, but with gas (where I am at $3.64 a gallon ) Supreme BTW, its a "pricey" deal to drive anywhere.
In addition to that, I've been off work for 4 months waiting for Workman's Comp to get they're ~~~~ together and cover an operation on my Right Should (which they havent yet) so then I had to hire an attorney!:mad:
That in itself with surgery and recoupe time, it'll be next February before I get back to work!
So to summerize, cash flow is VERY low).:(
Hell you'd have a better chance of seeing me show up on my Motorcycle, then my SC! :D
Roger

Gas went down to about $3.32 here for 91.

Is your eyesight going bad also ?? Didnt you look at the fuel gauge and see it was on E ? :D

- Dan

Dn,

The light in my VMM usually tells me low fuel and that wasn't the case when this occured, so I'm assuming the light must be out, but you can be damn sure that it wont go below a 1/4 tank from now on!:p

At least it'll have that long awaited Tune-up!
Roger ;)

Got the SC back today and gave it a GOOD WASHING!
Runs smooth and all is well (with a 1/2 tank of gas too)!
Roger

Back