best way to soak up oil in street

Merlon

so ive had this small oil leak and over time its left a huge slick in front of my house. ive since fixed the problem, and am now left with this huge ~~~ oil slick. how can i clean this up?

degreaser and cat litter?

this isnt the driveway its the black street with blacker oil. any help is useful and appreciated

I use generic store-brand (the cheap stuff) unscented cat litter on my concrete driveway. It works fairly well. You could also probably just dump a bucket of sand on it if it is in the street.

did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?

and then try this

If the kitty litter doesn't take up all the oil, Try some industrial degreaser & a very stiff push broom.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
If the kitty litter doesn't take up all the oil, Try some industrial degreaser & a very stiff push broom.

68COUGAR

I have found that after you soak the oil up with litter. You can take powdered laundry dtergent and a stiff bristle broom and get the rest up. It wont get rid of the stain.

Degreaser may work but I have found it softens the black top and just makes it worse later. Maybe I used too much.

xThunderbirdSCx said:
did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
Hate to burst your bubble but that's 100% not true. Washing your car on your lawn will fertilize it. I seriously hope you don't pour oil on your lawn!!! :mad: 1L of oil can make 10m3 of soil contaminated. Who told you that?

I wouldn't recommend drinking it either because it takes awful.

Attachments

• wfc7-drinking-oil.jpg
    wfc7-drinking-oil.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 282
  • drinking_oil.jpg
    drinking_oil.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 260
Grims95SC said:
Hate to burst your bubble but that's 100% not true. Washing your car on your lawn will fertilize it. I seriously hope you don't pour oil on your lawn!!! :mad: 1L of oil can make 10m3 of soil contaminated. Who told you that?

no i dump it on the lawn by the gallons. oil is great for grass and antifreeze does wonders for killing weeds. Nettlesd showed me that trick

cant be to sure

ive had people tell me that using tranny fluid is good for the paint??? maybe back before clear coats.

If its blacktop, its full of oil anyway, just get up the puddle with kitty litter and the rest will stay with the road.

seriously?

mixed with anything?

i know people who say spray it down with water
pour kitty litter,
let it soak some more water and oil, let dry, let sweeper guy clean it monday.

then go out with degreaser, and bucket water down, and scrub with wire brush.

on my concrete driveway, i've had luck with Brakleen. Just the other day, it was warm and sunny out, i sprayed my stains with it, let it dry, sprayed, let dry, maybe 3-4 times. After that, i sprayed the stains, and rinsed with the hose. There was qutie a noticable difference. Im not sure if the same works for asphalt, but it may be worth a try. Also, my stains i think were more trans fliud than oil, im not sure if there is a difference when it comes to removal.

-Nick

i shoudl have never

had an oil leak. i bought the car without one, had new oil put in it, oil leak the next day. i took it to the place told them to recheck the filter, and the plug, but they insisted i had to replace the front seal. not unheard of, but i was reluctant. i then used some seafoam to clean the injectors, which casued a misfire i have had with this car for months, and cleared the crankcase of sludge. drained oil replaced it and no oil leak. amazing.

love that seafoam stuff, my injectors would deprive my car of gas in the heat, cuz my car got hot. and it would stumble, and feel like a genuine misfire from a plug or wireset. wasnt the dis, plugs, wireset, or the coilpack. vaccum lines were good, and so is the tranny. whats left? a can of seafoam, and some praying. well im so happy so very happy that i even felt like cleaning my stains for my ~~~~~~~ neighbors!

no more overheat, i use ice water 40 degrees below. mixed with water this stuff helped me stay cool in traffick and under great boost levels.

anyways thanks for the info you guys, this site has helped me in so many ways.

I usually grind the cat liter in with my boot, and it usually gets it relatively clean if you clean it up right when its spilt...

the best thing ive ever used was ashes from my furnace, plus you can throw them back in the furnace and use them again

Last edited:
nick62087 said:
on my concrete driveway, i've had luck with Brakleen.
If i have an oil mess, i spray it down with brake cleaner, which brings the oil to the surface, and then I throw something absorbent on it ( like kitty litter, or flour, or corn starch) and that sucks the oil up.

Back