looking to get a new car, what should i get?

which car should i get?

• Total voters

operation rob

i'm into the 80s american muscle, and no i dont have a mullet. i'm considering getting rid of the SC and buying a different car, so which one should i get?

operation rob said:
lots of keep the bird. any other suggestions?

Well of all the choices you listed, it's easy: KEEP THE SC !!

My list was a little different; it was (1) Keep the SC, (2) new GTO, or (3) Chrysler 300C. The 300C won out:) The SC was the best car I'd ever owned but just plain wore out and I don't like working on cars as much as I used to. The GTO looks too much like a Grand Am, and besides it's a GM product. The 300C is Bad-~~~ looking and it has a HEMI - 'nuff said!

If a new car is not in the cards, rebuild the SC and drive her for 10 more years; much nicer and more unique car than any of those on your list.

kevenj90sc said:
Well of all the choices you listed, it's easy: KEEP THE SC !!

If a new car is not in the cards, rebuild the SC and drive her for 10 more years; much nicer and more unique car than any of those on your list.
thats what i'm thinking, except i'm a 16 year old with a small paycheck. i do enjoy the uniqueness of my car, and the 1/722 of them. i just dont want to be fixing stuff all the time. and because of the type of car it is, supercharged, 5 speed, it was probably beaten on pretty bad by previous owners.

I've had 3 5.0s & they are no picnic when it comes to repairs either.
Have a 97 cobra right now that recently blew a plug out of the block
at startup.before that had a leak in the oil filter housing. it's only got 67,000
miles. so any way you go it's a crapshoot.

My initial thought was 5.0 Mustang, but then I read the reasons you had against the SC. I don't think an SC would be beaten any harder than the other choices and possibly taken the lightest beating. Of the cars listed it's the newest except for possibly the Mustang and at least in it's early years had a good chance of a more mature owner.
If you do repairs yourself, you'll learn that these cars aren't really any more difficult than anything else. I was a lot more comfortable once I had my IC off and on a couple of times without any leaks. Plus you're here so you already have the most important part of fixing these cars figured out. :D
Only thing that would make me vote for the Mustang is a convertible.

Kurt

I actually bought my SC because I've become so familiar with the ford 3.8.
Including my bird, out of the 6 cars that now reside at my house, three of them have a EFI 3.8. (2000 Mustang 3.8 [modded], 2000 Ford Windstar, 1990 Tbird SC)
As a mustang, camaro or firebird be prepared for increased police attention as a 16 year old. The SC will definitely be the cheapest to insure and is the least likely vehicle out of those listed to get pulled over. Just because your SC is a 5-speed doesn't mean it's been beaten on. The mere fact that it's a tbird means that somebody old probably owned it first. Old people do two things: drive slow and perform routine maintainance.

Since you're still 16, keep the SC because your insurance will also be much cheaper. It's also a nicer car. Your driving record stays with you a LOOOOOONG time as I'm just now finding out. It's been years since my last accident/ticket, but I'm still paying double than what I would if I didn't have any. It sucks when you have no f*cken money. Don't race on the street either, racing on the track is MUCH cheaper (as I've found out).

I'm thrilled with my s/c already despite having to figure out a few minor glitches (a few blown fuses replaced and very minor cosmetic defects) before I show my parents the car (and let them know I bought one).

The 3.8's a great motor. I love it, despite the OHV pushrod design.
Just take some weight out of your SC using the TCCOA tech article under the misc section. It'll be easy and cheap and make your car much quicker.

So, basically, keep the bird. If I hadn't bought the bird, my next choice would've been 94-98 Mustang V6 5-speed, just so I could do the 3.8 SC swap to it. For less than half of the price of one of those, I have the genuine article. :)

Anyhow, that's my 2 bits as another young driver.

Peace,
Ghost

The_Ghost said:
I actually bought my SC because I've become so familiar with the ford 3.8.
Including my bird, out of the 6 cars that now reside at my house, three of them have a EFI 3.8. (2000 Mustang 3.8 [modded], 2000 Ford Windstar, 1990 Tbird SC)
As a mustang, camaro or firebird be prepared for increased police attention as a 16 year old. The SC will definitely be the cheapest to insure and is the least likely vehicle out of those listed to get pulled over. Just because your SC is a 5-speed doesn't mean it's been beaten on. The mere fact that it's a tbird means that somebody old probably owned it first. Old people do two things: drive slow and perform routine maintainance.

Since you're still 16, keep the SC because your insurance will also be much cheaper. It's also a nicer car. Your driving record stays with you a LOOOOOONG time as I'm just now finding out. It's been years since my last accident/ticket, but I'm still paying double than what I would if I didn't have any. It sucks when you have no f*cken money. Don't race on the street either, racing on the track is MUCH cheaper (as I've found out).

I'm thrilled with my s/c already despite having to figure out a few minor glitches (a few blown fuses replaced and very minor cosmetic defects) before I show my parents the car (and let them know I bought one).

The 3.8's a great motor. I love it, despite the OHV pushrod design.
Just take some weight out of your SC using the TCCOA tech article under the misc section. It'll be easy and cheap and make your car much quicker.

So, basically, keep the bird. If I hadn't bought the bird, my next choice would've been 94-98 Mustang V6 5-speed, just so I could do the 3.8 SC swap to it. For less than half of the price of one of those, I have the genuine article. :)

Anyhow, that's my 2 bits as another young driver.

Peace,
Ghost
yeah, the plus side of the SC is cheap insurance. it's only a couple hundred more than my 93 lx that was a 3.8. i've gotten pretty attached to the SC so i will most likely keep it. i just want to fix all the problems with it :mad:

operation rob said:
thats what i'm thinking, except i'm a 16 year old with a small paycheck. i do enjoy the uniqueness of my car, and the 1/722 of them. i just dont want to be fixing stuff all the time. and because of the type of car it is, supercharged, 5 speed, it was probably beaten on pretty bad by previous owners.
I know you're only 16 but you might want to look into the new ford fusion. I'm looking at one with a 5 speed, 17 inch rims, leather seats, chrome grill, for 18k. The car looks good and it's not bad on gas 23mpg.

If your into 80's muscle, ive got a nice 86 cutlass salon for sale, great body, solid frame, clean int, $2500

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 141
i kept the bird, which is why it is in peices in the garage. since i think it'd be a pain to sell with a blown motor. i'm going to make it look nice again/get rid of all the rust. :cool:

i still want a muscle car though, except now i want an el camino or a monte carlo.

Good choice keeping the SC. Of the other choices you listed I think the best is the t-type regal. Same as the Grand National with different badges and cheaper insurance.

Almost any one of the other cars will give you les trouble, and cost a lot less to repair.

Back