Headgasket?

93SC

My 93 sc runs cold until I believe the thermostat opens, then it gets extremely hot. As in the temp gauge goes all the way to H. Also the upper rad hose is very hot and the lower hose is warm. It feels like the rad fan is blowing cold air (or at least not warm). I had the rad checked out and flow tested and it came back ok. There is no coolant in the oil, no smoke from the exhaust, and I haven’t seen any sign of oil in the coolant. Also there are no bubbles in the coolant when it is running cold. My next guess is the water pump, but if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Justin

it doesnt sound good....... my 93 did the exact same thing, staying cold and then shooting up to the H and turning on the check gauges light.... it would take 2-3 seconds to go from C-H...

i would add some coolant to teh overflow and see if it smokes it out the tail end. this is how i confirmed that my car blew them.

I am not losing any coolant either. And I have yet to see any smoke of any kind coming from the exhaust.

What temp thermostat are you running? Stock is 195 I believe. Have you checked it to make sure it is opening properly? Unless the waterpump is leaking from the weep hole it should be fine. Only sure fire way to check the head gaskets is a compression check on each cylinder (not an easy task on an SC). I'd say keep an eye on the coolant level in the rad and keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks, I am running a 180 and I replaced it 2 times, so im guessing that its good unless i got bad parts both times. I am just hoping that it's not the HG's. Thanks again

Do you have control of your fan to make it come on earlier? Otherwise your car will run hotter with that 180 thermostat. I would suggest either a cool fan switch or putting in a 195 thermostat.

I cut the #14 wire so the fan stays on all the time. Why would the car run hottter with a colder thermostat?

This sounds like the water pump. How quickly did it move from cold to hot? The fact that it went all the way to hot indicates there is little or no coolant flow. Do the check gauges lights appear when this happens? I have seen vehicles that would flash check gauges and move from cold to hot in seconds when the water pump went bad.

That’s how it happens, it stays cold for the usual amount of time then it just screams up to H. Oh well, I will try and change the pump out this week. If I find out anything new I will post it hear. Thanks for all the advice.

Justin

Mine did that too!

Mine did that too until I changed the headgskets. Now everything is back to normal.

Back