Gears

unzer

Got a 95 black, 5-speed, 70mm TB, Cold-air kit and Flowmaster exhaust. My diff is growling @ me. What do you recommend for a good streetable gear ratio. I still want to use 1st gear. Thanx

I'd agree with Tom, 3.27 is what I would recommend for the max. gearing with a 5 speed SC. I have those in my 95, the car accelerates awesome in 5th now. First is a bit short, but not too bad. The 94 and 95 had a bit taller 1st gear ratio than 89-93, so it's not so steep when you do change rear gear ratios. If you're planning on putting a bunch more power in the car later, go with 3.08. If you plan on keeping it mild, the 3.27 works nice, and you don't loose any top speed, it just revs a bit higher in 5th (mine went 4600 rpm in 5th with 27.0" tall tires for 150.7 mph).

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

What do you guys rev at with 3.27's @ around 70MPH, 120kmh?

Just wondering. Highway gas mileage go down a lot? (I do a lot of road trip driving.

thanks, ronnie

Mine's at around 2300 rpm at that speed ... gas mileage is still good on the highway at steady speeds if you stay out of the boost. I made it from Watkins Glen (Finger Lakes region of NY) back to Toronto in 3-1/2 hours (that's at a fairly high average speed, just driving straight, no stops), and only used not quite 3/4 tank of fuel, that's roughly a 250 mile trip.

cheers
Ed N.

Mine revs a bit higher in 5th at 70mph. It is around 2700-2800rpm. My tires are shorter at 25.5". This annoys me, I miss the low rpm cruising. I am considering 3.08's in my 94, but not sure.

I think the 3.27 gear is idea for the track, I go through the traps in 4th around 4500rpm. I think the 3.08's would be great for the streets but not as good at the track.

Doug, I've pondered a swap down to 3.08s in my car as well, but I REALLY love the way the car pulls in 5th with 3.27s. Maybe when I get some more HP and torque going out of the motor, I'll go down on the ratio. Figures, about 2 years ago I tossed the perfectly good, low mileage set of 3.08s out of my old 87 5.0L Mustang that I had bought brand new ... first mod to it at about 15,000 km ... 3.55 gears !! Oh well.

cheers
Ed N.

I will add my opinion for 3.08s for streetability, but you'll need 3.27s to pull well in every gear. Also, 3.27s are the 5 speed owners choice for the dragstrip.

Back