preventative cooling questions

shawpdx1

I havent ran my bird this year yet in the heat but remember it running what seemed to me to hot didn't over heat just seemd to hot for my peace of mind, what are the updates I can do to get her to run cooler , thanks

Upgrade the radiator.
Change to a cooler thermostat and get a chip to adjust when the cooling fan comes on.
Make sure the blend of coolant/water is optimum and add a product like Redline's Water Wetter product.

any or all will help some.

All of what Mike said and check to see if your air dam is still there. If not, a pontiac grand am works.

Don't overlook the basics...

Another simple thing is to make sure the radiator (and A/C condensor) heat exchanger fins are clean. You'd be amazed at how much dirt, bugs, tar, etc. gets in those fins. Clogged fins means no air flow. It won't matter how many fans you have, cool running thermostats, water wetter, or big air deflectors you install if the air can't get through the heat exchanger.

what i've done on my 89 is put the high and low speed fans to a switch, added two of the pontiac air dams sandwiched in front of the rad and a 180* robbert shaw thermostat...runs freaking cool only with the low speed fan :cool: . Im using a stock rad too.

two air damns?

why and hows that work>hows about a picture?
i cant find the right gasket, and i think itll leak, we all knoww how the housingn warps after so many years, so i left it alone, but for the summer i really need to change it out.

cant even get to it with my regular tools, i need a stubby ratchet, or something, maybe a really long extension.:D

Mine was overheating and I took some advice from several of the guys on here. They knew what they were talking about. I first changed the thermostat and put on a new(used) cooling fan from a salvage yard. I added an air dam off a taurus, which fit perfect by the way. Then I changed all of the coolant. I ran two thirds water to one third coolant and added the water water I got from auto zone. It's amazing how cool this thing runs now. Will barely get to 190 degrees, even on the hot days.

did you put the 180 stat in? and whats this read about drilling a hole in the stat? my air dam is there

Back