How do I beat him: Stock 90 5spd vs 03 Subaru WRX

The_Ghost

Okay, I hate to make a thread about this but I have to know.
What modifications, at a bare minimum, will be needed to beat a near-stock 03' Subaru Impreza WRX.

Stock stats are:
WRX
227hp@6000
217tq@4000
3085 lbs
AWD

This particular WRX has:
some no-name CAI
f/r sway bars
stock wheels/tires Bridgestone RE40s

S/C 5-speed
210hp@????rpm
315tq@2200rpm (i think)
3760lbs or 3809-- one of the two and I have the lightweight alum. spare, too.

The only thing I have going for me thus far is that I also have a set of 18's with ZR rated 245-series low-pro tires, thus I might be able to get close to matching him in terms of handling. I have a set of Bridgestone made Capitol Negotiator tires. Apparently they're just bridgestones with a higher treadwear, they say made in japan on them.
Oh, and thus far my only mod is:
Thunderbird V8 dual exhaust with magnaflow resonator

How much farther will I have to go to be able to either a) beat him in a straight line or b) outhandle the little booger?

I have more experience as a driver, and the guy doesn't know how to drive his car to its potential-- ie he sucks at driving it.

Since this thread/question is somewhat technical and yet not really, I put it here.

Any suggestions on what path to take so far as modifications are concerned when gunning quite specifically for that WRX and that WRX only?

Again, I am not too familiar with this car but I have become familiar with the 3.8 it uses. The 3.8 in my particular car is strong and the SC makes full boost (registers about 12psi on the gauge, and when the car is off off it likes to read about 1" of vac) and the hg's are nice and strong, they were done sometime recently. not sure when, though.

It's really important that I beat him in one way or another, as he's gotten really ~~~~~~n smug and cocky lately, and it's really annoying to be around him now, so, he just needs to be put back in his place. It'd be especially great if I could put his smug ~~~ back into his place with a big, heavy RWD ford, even moreso in a car that with mods is more comfortable and cost less than his. :D

Thanks in advance for reading and your consideration.

The Ghost

I don't think stock for stock you would lose a race to one of those... I'd be happy to try...
They don't have near the torque we do....
Am I wrong?
Elders?

The WRX has a early 800lb advantage if that info is right. You'll need a few parts to keep pace in a straight line and in the corners.
Springs and shocks for handling
5% J/S, double IC, MAF and a few more things should even it up in a straight line.

I paced a stock wrx with:

5% jackshaft
5% sc
70mm bbk
73mm C&L
IC fan
Ported manifolds, downpipes, and flowmaster catback.

Total funds you will need to do so.

$1100+

Speed is money

You'll need about 230hp at the wheels and run him from a 40mph roll.....that will give you the advantage

I race from the dig. Some others may not. Either way, thats what you need to get the job done. Kid tested, not mother approved.

Racing from a dig is where you'll get into trouble with that AWD Turbo. Id say run him from about 20MPH then you should take him, until he starts to pull.

Some basic bolt ons will push you over the top of him like an exhaust, pulley, and MAF/TB

you're going to play that oh so fun phsycological game of "catchup" then.

If this guy knows how to launch you're going to see tail lights for about the first 330ft at the very least even at equal power to weight ratios.

In other words, yeah he's being cocky, but he's got what it takes for now.

The thing I find strange is....you're gonna mod it so you can call him out, does he get the same amount of time to mod to be back infront of you?

In other words, it'd be better to out drive and out perform, him having the better car and all, maybe he doesn't know how to drive.

I say run what you brung son!

Im no AWD expert but how many people can actually launch a turbo AWD well? I think youd have a better shot at him from a dig and hope that he bogs bad off the line. Just my thoughts.
Phil

Fasctsc has a point, if your gonna dump money into this car. And this is a grudge match, I'm sure he will too. A few simple mods to the wrx and you won't stand a chance.

I think you should pee in his gas tank right before the race. Either that or attach a giant iron boat ancor to the back of his car :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :D. That should do it.

Shane

I recently had a chance to drive my buddies '03 WRX. Let's just say, I was NOT impressed. That thing was a pig off the line. Not only that, it felt pretty squirrly in the tight corners. I asked him if he wanted to run against my (mostly stock) '89 XR7 and he declined.

I say run what ya got. Empty out any unnecessary weight like spare tire and anything else not bolted into the car and give him a shot. Even if you don't kick his arse, you will surely make him work that little Scooby-Doo. If he can't drive worth a damn, then you surely have him. Go from a dig, those things are dead off the line till the turbo spools, then they get a decent bit of pick up. By then you should have a good lead on him and I doubt he will reel you in. The WRX just ain't got the low end grunt to get out of the hole like the SC/XR7 does.

Just be sure you take it either to a VERY secluded empty stretch of road or even better.... take it to the track.

From what I understand, he attempted to launch at a light in front of an NA Supra Mk IV and failed miserably. From a stop I might get him.

my buddy has an 02 wrx i think, he has a boost controller , BOV, and he took his muffler off... from off the line, he eats me horribly, from a roll he eats me like im not moving, when im WOT driving, and he's behind me, he can pass me in the opposite lane ( playin chicken w/ the other cars )

and I have 5% JS, UD pulleys, cat back exaust, IC fan, spearco IC, CAI....

shiot. If I cant beat him mechanically, I guess itll just have to be outperforming him on skill alone. Im pretty sure I can do it on skill alone, and beyond that I have two more years behind the wheel than him.
I am thinking of calling him out to the autocross; in that situation he'll be confronted with multiple hairpin turns and thus probably not shift optimally to keep the car in boost, whereas I'm pretty much constantly in boost, right?

And I can still do things he can't... like burn out, and drift like a pro (the tires that are on my stock alloys are fantastic for sliding). :D

Damn though, I really want him to shut his face and quit acting like he's superior to everyone when he doesn't even know how to drive the d@mn car.

If you aren't running mid to low 13's w/ good tires, don't try. He can rev it up and dump the clutch hook and go. Those things runs high 13's with someone who knows what they are doing. If you roll off the line in one they are slow till the turbo spools, but if he revs it up and launches it, he will smoke you.

Back