Anyone know how the oil life monitor works?

Yea, my 91 xr7 has the change oil now indicator. When it was new it was pretty accurate at warning the factory 7k mileage.. The older it got the sooner it came on. I pretty much just watch it blink now. I know when to change the oil. Cute little gimmick back in the day.

Yea, my 91 xr7 has the change oil now indicator. When it was new it was pretty accurate at warning the factory 7k mileage.. The older it got the sooner it came on. I pretty much just watch it blink now. I know when to change the oil. Cute little gimmick back in the day.

If it comes on very soon (say, 1500 miles), then the oil temperature sensor has probably gone bad. It happened to me on one of my past Thunderbirds. I don't know if it's possible to clean it or what.

Yeah mine has always gone off after like 1000 miles. Sensor is probably bad, it seems to indicate it has low oil when I check it and it is full. So I'm assuming we can't buy these sensors anywhere now?

That's right. However, I think that it was made by modifying a standard temp sensor to also incorporate a simple on-off conductivity test to check the level. So it might be possible to replace it with a readily available temperature sensor, if you can do without the level sensing. I am not sure of the thread size, though.

Back