Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know how the oil life monitor works?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdSc94 View Post
    what if everything stays lit and the indicator always says now, I changed the oil last week, coolant levels fine and I dunno about the fuel since my needle reads off center (havnt let it go below half a tank for fear of getting stranded) I dont know about when the fuel light should come on IF it works
    Wow, another OLD thread. Have you reset the VMM? When reset, the "now" will go away.

To the OP, here is the official explanation of how the VMM determines when to change the oil. The actual patent.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    Wow, another OLD thread. Have you reset the VMM? When reset, the "now" will go away.

To the OP, here is the official explanation of how the VMM determines when to change the oil. The actual patent.
    Double Wow ! I didn't even know we had an oil temp sensor.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdSc94 View Post
    what if everything stays lit and the indicator always says now, I changed the oil last week, coolant levels fine and I dunno about the fuel since my needle reads off center (havnt let it go below half a tank for fear of getting stranded) I dont know about when the fuel light should come on IF it works
    To reset the VMM, turn the key to the on position (engine off), and hold the reset button (or push a paper clip into the hole) for about 3 second.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Yeah, doesn't the oil pressure gauge on SCs differ from LXs in that it doubles as an oil temperature sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Breadsax View Post
    Yeah, doesn't the oil pressure gauge on SCs differ from LXs in that it doubles as an oil temperature sensor?
    No, it's the oil level sensor that doubles as an oil temperature sensor. Also, it doesn't matter if the car is an SC or an LX. It just matters if the car came with a VMM or not. Some LX's and some Base models had VMMs. (The "Base" model was only available in the very early years, maybe 89-91.)
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~180,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Yea, my 91 xr7 has the change oil now indicator. When it was new it was pretty accurate at warning the factory 7k mileage.. The older it got the sooner it came on. I pretty much just watch it blink now. I know when to change the oil. Cute little gimmick back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by 91cougar View Post
    Yea, my 91 xr7 has the change oil now indicator. When it was new it was pretty accurate at warning the factory 7k mileage.. The older it got the sooner it came on. I pretty much just watch it blink now. I know when to change the oil. Cute little gimmick back in the day.
    If it comes on very soon (say, 1500 miles), then the oil temperature sensor has probably gone bad. It happened to me on one of my past Thunderbirds. I don't know if it's possible to clean it or what.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~180,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Yeah mine has always gone off after like 1000 miles. Sensor is probably bad, it seems to indicate it has low oil when I check it and it is full. So I'm assuming we can't buy these sensors anywhere now?

That's right. However, I think that it was made by modifying a standard temp sensor to also incorporate a simple on-off conductivity test to check the level. So it might be possible to replace it with a readily available temperature sensor, if you can do without the level sensing. I am not sure of the thread size, though.
    God bless!!!