tire deflation at the track??

MKTSC

ok i always thought that if you let some pressure out of your tires, that you would get better traction at the track. i just checked out the tccoa tech articles, and one said that an underinflated tire will spin more than a properly inflated one. so here's my question.

i'm going to the track tonight, should i deflate my tires? if so, to what pressure?

I've gotten the best traction with street tires by lowering the pressure to about 25 psi. I've heard the same thing about lowering the pressure will make them spin more. That wasn't true in my case.

David

It will depend on the tread compound and the sidewall stiffness.

If the sidewalls are too stiff, you won't gain contact patch with less air pressure. You just end up riding on the sidewalls giving you less patch.

You'll have to test it to find the optimum tire pressure setting for the track temperature.

so what would you guys suggest for stock tires?? i lowered them to 20psi last time, and while i spun, i still got better traction. maybe i'll try 25 tonight.

also i have a 94 auto equipped with trac control. i usually race with it on, because i dont have to feather the gas. this gives me great 60' times. should i race with it off or on? you guys with 94's what are your stratagies??

Back