! Problem: Am I in for Headgaskets? L.A. folks chime in please.

The_Ghost

Hey guys.

I've been driving around all day at a normal speed (no hot-rodding, just cruising around) and when I stopped at Best Buy earlier, after coming back to the car I noticed that there was a pool of coolant under where the reservoir is. I wasn't sure it was me, so I drove home (5 mi) whilst checking my gauges, finding that outside of being low on gas, there was nothing wrong-- the coolant temp gauge was right where it always is, just to the left of the center of the gauge, well within the range of normal. After parking, I discovered that the reservoir tank was boiling over.

Now, I realize that this is a good indicator for headgaskets being gone, so I went through with the regular tests, checking the oil for milkshake, putting your hand under the exhaust to feel for moisture, and it passed the milkshake and moisture test but it's still quite worrisome that it's boiling over.

Is it possible that the rad cap failure could be a possibility or is it straight up headgaskets?

What's most frustrating is that I already took steps to correct for the HG's failing by replacing the resonator and shifting at 4900-5000 when going full throttle, and typically I am happy shifting at 3900 or so with just the kick in the pants of torque that I am used to, and what's even more frustrating than that is the fact that I just finally LEGALLY passed smog today, and finally got the radio in the car working.

As a last resort, if I eliminated the cats, could one of those pour-in block-sealers such as "Head Gasket Repair" from BAR help or alleviate the problem?

I was even going to eliminate the cats to get rid of the backpressure.

It always works this way... :(

Anyways, if someone could come by and give me a second opinion on the headgaskets or whatever the problem is, I'd be much appreciative.

-ghost

i had the same thing almost the temp was overheating so i though the hg's were gone for sure but it turned out to be the fan not working i even boiled over the coolant and it steamed forever so i turned it off and let it cool and noticed that the fan whirl wasn't on check that first then go from there
good luck
cody

Ohhhhhhh!
You know, I haven't heard the cooling fan coming on, so maybe that's it.

Okay, I just turned on the car and watched the cooling fan, it's still warm so the fan should've clicked on, but it didn't.

How long does the car have to be running for the fan turn on?
What are the computer's criterion for turning the fan on and off?

If the fan is the problem, how do I fix it? What did you do to remedy the problem? Do I replace the motor or the whole fan assembly (minus shroud)?
Since I am going to be draining the radiator and changing the belts out anyways, it should not be too difficult, from the looks of things. What did parts cost you for it and where were you able to source them?

Thanks,
Nick/Ghost

Last edited:
is your coolant mixture correct? i would first make sure you have a 60/40 mixture of coolant and water, cuz obviously a lack of coolant will cause a boilover evern though its not overheating. also you may want to pressure test the cooling system, if the pressure drops and you dont see an external leak, theres a good chance you have an internal leak(headgaskets). the head gasket can blow in such a way where coolant doesnt enter the crankcase,so you dont get the "milkshake" appearance, however combustion gases can enter the cooling system causing a "boil over". personally i would not use that stop leak on an sc but i have had luck with it "fixing" headgaskets on other $hitboxes.such as my taurus and my buddies cougar:D

Do the $6 new radiator cap test. A leaking radiator cap will do that. If you've ever tried taking the cap off while it's hot you will see it pressurize into the overflow tank.:)

before buying the fan supplies let the car warm up to normal temp and let it go from there if it goes past the m in norm its too hot and should come on wiggle the wires and check the connections that kinda worked for me you can go to rockauto.com and find the parts i just heard about that site and it has lots of thing for these cars almost the whole engine but try the wires and go from there
good luck
cody

95scfan said:
before buying the fan supplies let the car warm up to normal temp and let it go from there if it goes past the m in norm its too hot and should come on wiggle the wires and check the connections that kinda worked for me you can go to rockauto.com and find the parts i just heard about that site and it has lots of thing for these cars almost the whole engine but try the wires and go from there
good luck
cody

Okay, I will try that. It is just upsetting that I am losing coolant out of the reservoir, despite the fact that I haven't overheated or overreved... :(

I really can't afford to do a headgasket set right now, especially since it's like a 80 hr job for someone who knows how, and what's worse is that I really can't afford to let this car go out of comission since it's my ride to work everyday.

-Ghost

Last edited:
wow you sound like me i deliver pizzas so i know how you feel just hang in there, is it still losing coolant?

cody

Does your A/C work? If so turn it on while the engine is running and your fan should come on low speed. If your air doesnt work, unplug the A/C compressor so it cant come on, then unplug the A/C pressure sensor thats back near the firewall on the line going into the canister drier. Then run a jumper between the two wires on the plug, then with your A/C switch on max or norm A/C the fan will run. If after that your fan doesnt come on, you have a definate issue.
I have been running my A/C switch jumped and leaving it on low for a few weeks now, the car doesnt get near as hot, and I dont have to worry about frying a winding because the IRCM is still in command.

call me 909-475-8352 or email me mannysc@msn.com

so we can talkm real time to many things to say over the internet this back and forth stuff sucks . but check see if fan comes on if so then you may have cloged radiator or bad tstat ,
if ya dont get fan to turn of try turning on ac if not then ground a wire and wrap one end around a naile or pin and peirce #14 wire fan should come on or ground #17 and highspeed fan should come on .

me i have my highspeed on all the time .

K.W.blocksealer will buy you some time but nothing stops the hg monster once it gets going.

Back