fast rattling sound out of exhaust...

HappyHourHero

ok, ever since i got my exhaust done a few months back, every time i rev it past 3 grand (usually in neutral, 1st or 2nd) i hear a loud, fast, sharp rattling sound out of the exhaust. almost like the heat shield for the cat is loose. could this be a bad motor mount?, also my shifter actually moves to the left an few inches when i gun it in 1st and 2nd.
thanks

The noise could be a heat sheild or the material in the converters breaking up. Get under the car or take it for a free exhaust inspection and check the heat sheilds.

Shifter moving is often motor mounts. Best way to check is to open the hood and have a friend gun the motor while you watch it. If it moves more than 1" on the drivers side, then that mount is broken. It is usually the first one to go.

hey, thanks for the reply. yes the engine does move quite a bit, the car almost has 100k so thats probaly it. i'll take it my mechanic in a few weeks when i get enough money, how much do you think this would cost? as for the cat, its probaly the heat sheild, i'll check that out in a few days. i don't think its the material inside, well, it better not be their brand new magna flow cats ha ha ha

thanks

If it is a loose heat sheild, you can do what I did.
Buy an extra long hose clamp, you can get them at a sears hardware store or home depot, wrap it completely around the sheild and cat. Tighten it up, cut off the excess, and no more rattle.
About a 10 minute job.

Back