sc vs turbo

95scfan

well i have been reading alot about turbos and i was wondering(and before you grill me i am in this for the info) why some of the supercoupes don't have turbos (aside from the obvious SUPERcoupe jokes) my buddy has a sho and he has been watching turbo sho videos and is really hyping them up and i didn't have a defense to his questions on why sc's don't use them. so if anyone can shed some light on this and not be too harsh i'd love to read up on it

thanks
cody

The sc's already have a supercharger...So its a no brainer...It's easier to install a turbo setup on an N/A Tbird then an SC....And teh reason why they dont install them on those is because they just wouldnt live very long...And peopel would rather do a mustang

no just a turbo could you switch out the sc for a turbo? i am just in it for the info please tell me the pro's and cons of both
thanks
cody

I think that cost of the convertion is what scares most people away from having a custom turbo kit installed on their SC. You could have yourself a screaming AR powered SC and money left over compared to that cost of a one-off turbo install. Its all about the money.

Shane

RadiumSC said:
Is he talking about having both the supercharger and turbocharger on the car at the same time? :eek:

VW already has a golf with a supercharger and turbocharger coupled with a small 4 cylinder that offers great performance and economy. It was discussed in the recent issue of either motor trend or car and driver where they pitted the GT 500 against a regular C6 vette and the GT 500 lost.

First off MT and C&D can't drag race for ~~~~, plus they are biased towards Supercars and Exotics. Good bathroom reading material.

A turbo setup that is sized and tuned properly for this application would make autorotor numbers pale by comparison. Think about it, less parasitic loss from not having to turn a pulley. Think it doesn't take power to spin the blower guess again. On the same motor at say 18 psi from a turbo and a supercharger I bet the turbo puts down at least 120 more rwhp at the same boost level. If you go up to say 22-24 psi and can keep the heads down that gap widens. The M90 could never efficiently boost that high, the autorotor might be capable of low 20's pressure, but to get up near a turbo's efficiency you'd need a centrifugal and then again you'd have a loss of low rpm torque and parasitic loss from a pulley.

A turbo might lag, but a transbrake and gear swap could take car of that for track purposes. From a rolling start above 30 mph the turbo gets my vote.

Besides even if the s/c car pulls away at the start, once the turbo spools up I feel at the same boost it would make the power to pull past the s/c car.

Scott Long said:
First off MT and C&D can't drag race for ~~~~, plus they are biased towards Supercars and Exotics. Good bathroom reading material.

I'm talking about the "twincharger" VW is testing in Europe. A 4 cylinder with both a supercharger (low end) AND a turbocharger (high end) installed on the same motor with a narrow portion of the powerband powered by both at the same time. Seems like a cool idea to me!

It was discussed in the recent issue of either motor trend or car and driver where they pitted the GT 500 against a regular C6 vette and the GT 500 lost.

I just read MM&FF and they pitted a vette against a roush stage 3 supercharged 3 valve. Just about even but the vette had the edge. The vette cam eout a wee bit more expensive as well...Two totally different cars very comparable..Later on in the week they ripped of a better time out of the stang...But we are still talking very close.

The gt500 has been getting 11.2 1/4 times on stock tires..Havnt read a legitamate comparison yet of the zo6 vs the gt500 however when I do I'll be sure to post about it:O)..I know teh people who do these tests so I get the inside scoop :O)

Again though..Different cars...Different owners.

The Mustang is not a sports car nor will it ever be one..Teh vette is and shall always be.

Now all that being said....Give me a turbo anyday

well i just wanted to know if its possible and what the benefits of it were but if the AR is less expensive and can give me the goodies that i want in my sc i might just stick with the AR in the end but for 3000-3500 for the kit the go fast is not cheap but i have a long way to go before that. what would it take for the turbo to work on the sc? what would i have to change and do different in the engine.....
thanks
cody

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
The Mustang is not a sports car nor will it ever be one..Teh vette is and shall always be.

Now all that being said....Give me a turbo anyday

HEHE! Damon am I missing something here? I thought we were comparing the Vette to a GT 500, not a Mustang.:confused:

95scfan said:
well i just wanted to know if its possible and what the benefits of it were but if the AR is less expensive and can give me the goodies that i want in my sc i might just stick with the AR in the end but for 3000-3500 for the kit the go fast is not cheap but i have a long way to go before that. what would it take for the turbo to work on the sc? what would i have to change and do different in the engine.....
thanks
cody

Cody,
Having completed the installation of a twin-turbo kit on my '00 Mustang GT I need to tell you a few things.
1.) This project would be VERY possible with a Supercoupe.
2.) This project could be completed by a capable shop if they had time for you as opposed to Vettes, stangs, Scamaros, ect...
3.) If your shortblock could handle the boost a turbo could take you ten miles ahead of a blower. Like someone said earlier, a transbrake or stall would do you wonders, but gears would NOT be necessary at all. TRUST ME!
4.) Our SC engines are actually STRONGER than the 4.6L V8 in my stang.
5.) IF YOU CAN FABRICATE THE HEADERS AND TUBING YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF. You can buy other parts separately like the turbo(s) and intercooler, BOV's, wastegates.
6.) Tuning the car would be your only obstacle, but we have guys on this board that are more than capable of helping you out.;)

My stang is making over 400rwhp without a damn tune and 7psi!!! I never thought I would see the day I would take out one of the local "crotch rockets!" :eek:

Last edited:
more turbo questions

aside from the headers, would i have to do anything to the engine internally for it to handle about 10-15 psi?? is boost the same no matter what? or are turbo boost and sc boost the same? i realize that the turbo it off the exhaust and the sc is off of a belt but is it the same? (don't know if i explained it how i wanted it to sound)to clarify basically boost is boost no matter how you apply it.....if the stock sc engine is strong how much turbo boost can a stock engine handle? and from the supercharger how much?(AR MPIII MPII and S-PORT) oh one more thing how big of a turbo could i use on a stock engine?

thanks
cody

95scfan said:
aside from the headers, would i have to do anything to the engine internally for it to handle about 10-15 psi?? is boost the same no matter what? or are turbo boost and sc boost the same? i realize that the turbo it off the exhaust and the sc is off of a belt but is it the same? (don't know if i explained it how i wanted it to sound)to clarify basically boost is boost no matter how you apply it.....if the stock sc engine is strong how much turbo boost can a stock engine handle? and from the supercharger how much?(AR MPIII MPII and S-PORT) oh one more thing how big of a turbo could i use on a stock engine?

thanks
cody

Your stock Supercoupe engine should handle about 12 to 14 psi with no issues whatsoever. It does not matter if it is Turbo or Supercharger boost.:cool: If you have a properly sized and tuned turbocharger the difference should be an extra 100rwhp over any of the SC's. Also if you decide to turn up the boost with the turbo you will DEFINATELY need to build a very strong short block. Also start looking for a new tranny.;)

will i be make 100 more torque too? how much hp do you think a stock block will handle in a 95 5 speed? and the stock trans??
thanks
cody

If you take an SC motor take the SC off and properly set up a turbo at the same exact boost level you will be making more power and going both faster and quicker. You wouldnt need a very large turbo to do that and would probably get 0 to no lag. Bigger turbo of course = more potential..You may get some lag but that feeling can be taken care of on an auto car with a good converter..Personally I dont think there is much a comparison here. Turbo is the way to go if you are willing to put the time and energy (and money)into getting it setup right

Back