Calgary Tuning with DD!

SCaddict

We started our tuning session with Dave tonight. I went first and the car was only making 230rwhp and running lean. Dave added in fuel and it still was lean. Dave added more fuel with the same result. I was making 18psi with very little or no belt slip at 25%OD. My IC and alky injection was doing the job as I was seeing ACT's around 75-80 degrees. We could not figure out the lean problem and as Dave added the fuel, the car would run badly after about 4000rpms. We thought the spark may be blowing out, so we gapped the plugs down, still with the same result. Then we switched from a tailpipe O2 to the down pipe and it turns out that the other 02 was not reading right at all. The car was actually running at about 9.8 a/f. Dave took out about 20% fuel and got the tune real good. The car made 250rwhp with the tune for the alky. On the last pull I decided to run the Snow Performance Nitro booster just to see if any gains could be had. I had to drain the system and put in the correct mixture of Meth and Nitro. Well something happened and the Meth did not spray and though the A/F stayed good the extra timing in the tune caused the motor to detonate and blew the HG's. The car did not blow white but the overflow was full and bubbly. There was also HG gunk in the rad. So I did get it tuned, but now have to do some repairs. 2 sets of HG's in 2 years, aren't I luckly! DD says I am not building as much power on the dyno because of the non-locking conveter. So if you add that in and the mustang dyno reading low I guess I am building some good power. Not as much as the AR setup, but I will leave that alone. I guess I won't know how much power I gained with the MPIII but I am getting about 6-7 more pounds of boost. I wanted to test the car out to see how different it feels but that will have to wait till I fix her.

Marty

Marty....alot of learning happened tonight, for all of us. The biggest has got to be to ensure that the methanol is spraying after draining the lines.

I've gotta give you credit though, you scared the hell out of everyone when the intercooler tube blew off!

Toms-SC said:
I would like to metion that nobody can pin this on my doing as I was picking up donuts :D
So it's your fault because you weren't there to supervise, right?? ;)

Ira

Oh man! That sucks. Do you think it was the nitro/methonal mix or did the snow unit not turn on? Anyway, will you be able to fix it before the shoot out? Good luck to you.

Mike

Super XR7 said:
Oh man! That sucks. Do you think it was the nitro/methonal mix or did the snow unit not turn on? Anyway, will you be able to fix it before the shoot out? Good luck to you.

Mike

I was not coming to the shootout anyways. I don't know what happened with the pump, but it did not spray. I will check it out when I do the HG's. It did work great all night and did allow for extra timing and cool act's.

Marty

ss_scuba said:
Marty....alot of learning happened tonight, for all of us. The biggest has got to be to ensure that the methanol is spraying after draining the lines.

I've gotta give you credit though, you scared the hell out of everyone when the intercooler tube blew off!

Almost shat myself!:D I thought the motor went south and then I thought you guys said I blew up the SC top! Quick fix and we were off. It was very funny when people starting searching for ear muffs cause of the blower.

Marty

Marty,

Sorry to hear the HGs blew. Might be a good idea to go with a set of the Felpro Permatorque MLS gaskets this time.

David

David, I'd be surprised if somehow he hasn't already got a set of gaskets and tools in hand today...

We actually talked about it last night when it happened, and that's the route he's gonna go anyhow. He's already got the ARP headstuds, and with all the stock ic tubing gone now it shouldn't take overly long to do.

Tazer999 said:
wheres the rest of the updates, :p

I will let others post that. But I will say tha Dave's old rusty couger threw down like 260. I will also say that the MPIII is a let down. I did see lots of boost with no slip at 25% and it made less power than the ported late model blowers.

ss_scuba said:
David, I'd be surprised if somehow he hasn't already got a set of gaskets and tools in hand today...

We actually talked about it last night when it happened, and that's the route he's gonna go anyhow. He's already got the ARP headstuds, and with all the stock ic tubing gone now it shouldn't take overly long to do.

I am going with the Felpro ones for now and I am getting a cam and head package and then I will do the MLS.

We think the HG's didn't blow, but it may have lifted a head. When I did HG's 2 years ago we tourqed them down to 70ft/lbs. This time I will go about 85. I drove the car home last night and it never overheated or filled the overflow tank and there is no smoke. I am changing HG's just to be sure.

My Results

The Ryan Harris ported blower performed like a champ. I saw 16+ PSi of boost and low outlet temps. I beleive around 80-90 degrees for the duration of the pull.

The car made 258.8 RWHP at 4900 RPM and 342 lb/ft of torque at 2900 RPM. Here is the kicker, that is with a stock tune. Give the milage on my block we decided that the number that is was making were good enough and that I would stop there . . . suffice it to say that there is a bit more left in this combination, but I held off with the 280,000 kilometers i have on the stock longblock.

Dave

Last edited:
Tazer999 said:
wheres the rest of the updates, :p

My 52000km 95sc auto,with full exhaust(no cats,3in centre pipe,magnaflow resonator,hemi turbo rear mufflers.76mm c&l,75mm tb,mp inlet plenum,mp raised top,dic with fan and 5% pulley made 203 hp,330 tork.Changing to a stock 91 pulley increased the hp to 224,and dropped the tork to 315.

This car wont tolerate any additional timing,and wouldnt even tolerate stock timing with the 5%.

The mp111 cars did not live up to the hype.

SCaddict said:
We started our tuning session with Dave tonight. I went first and the car was only making 230rwhp and running lean. Dave added in fuel and it still was lean. Dave added more fuel with the same result. I was making 18psi with very little or no belt slip at 25%OD. My IC and alky injection was doing the job as I was seeing ACT's around 75-80 degrees. We could not figure out the lean problem and as Dave added the fuel, the car would run badly after about 4000rpms. We thought the spark may be blowing out, so we gapped the plugs down, still with the same result. Then we switched from a tailpipe O2 to the down pipe and it turns out that the other 02 was not reading right at all. The car was actually running at about 9.8 a/f. Dave took out about 20% fuel and got the tune real good. The car made 250rwhp with the tune for the alky. On the last pull I decided to run the Snow Performance Nitro booster just to see if any gains could be had. I had to drain the system and put in the correct mixture of Meth and Nitro. Well something happened and the Meth did not spray and though the A/F stayed good the extra timing in the tune caused the motor to detonate and blew the HG's. The car did not blow white but the overflow was full and bubbly. There was also HG gunk in the rad. So I did get it tuned, but now have to do some repairs. 2 sets of HG's in 2 years, aren't I luckly! DD says I am not building as much power on the dyno because of the non-locking conveter. So if you add that in and the mustang dyno reading low I guess I am building some good power. Not as much as the AR setup, but I will leave that alone. I guess I won't know how much power I gained with the MPIII but I am getting about 6-7 more pounds of boost. I wanted to test the car out to see how different it feels but that will have to wait till I fix her.

Marty

Sorry to hear that.

So is anyone other than Kevin L seeing good results or is at least satisfied with their MPIII?

Thats not a poke or a dig at anyone, just want to know who has tried a MP3 amd been satisfied with the purchase...

tbirdsc357 said:
So is anyone other than Kevin L seeing good results or is at least satisfied with their MPIII?

Thats not a poke or a dig at anyone, just want to know who has tried a MP3 amd been satisfied with the purchase...

Going to have to see what a heads and cam package does to wake it up. This blower is 'suppose' to make its power 5000 RPM +. Kinda hard to do that when your heads and cam is stock. I will give it another try although the faith is slipping.

Back