Hi guys, doing all maintenance work this week. Some suggestions on parts?

HK416SC

Okay, I wanted to post this in the Canadian forum as our climate...is well...ummmm...our climate and our parts availability is...ummmm...our parts availability. :)

Anyways. What plugs to buy? I will be running with full exhaust, no catties from the manifolds back by the end of the week. What gap to gap them with? Where to buy? ie, Ford, Crappy tire, etc.

I would like to replace all belts too, ie, serpentine belt, blower belt, etc. Which belts to go with? Ford, Crappy tire, or any auto parts belts?

All fluids will be replaced, brake, clutch, rear end, tranny.

Also, I'm getting my suspension set up too. Where is the best place to buy my springs and strut combo? Installation? I will be doing everything but the exhaust and suspension by myself I think. Who works on these cars and knows them??? That is a must for me to bring my car into any shop!!!!!

Sorry for all the newbie questions AGAIN!

Any help appreciated, I'm on a tight budget and don't want to waste all this money, when I could have got a better deal. ;)

Much thanks, ronnie

I think most will say stick to the original Motorsport plugs. I have the 32PP and the gap is at .047

The belts you can get from CT or Ford. I don't think they are that expensive from Ford.

You never mentioned if you are lowering the car or just replacing the stock springs. If you are lowering the car you can go with the Eibach Pro Kit. Lowers the car 1.5" I have had these springs for over 3 years now and they are excellent in terms of comfort and handling. For shocks you can go with Koni's, Illumina II, or the stock Ford shocks. Not sure who has a strut/spring combo.

I'll let someone else with more knowledge respond to the fluid questions.

Hope this helps.

Sorry. Re: Springs, I will be lowering the car. Will I be dealing with any camber issues at all? Who sells them for a decent price and installs them? I would, but I have a ban in my townhouse complex about any 'major' car repairs in my driveway. They think it's 'ugly' and I've had six warnings already...

thanks, ronnie

Ronnie, we have either the original number or the AWSF 32 PP Motorcraft plugs in stock here, if you're interested in making the drive to Bolton to buy the parts and / or have them installed. Spark plugs are $9.00 each, wires are $58 if you need some of those too. Labour for a tune-up (install plugs, PCV, fuel filter and air filter) is $130.00.

For suspension, I can get you Eibach springs, they would be around $425 for a set, I'd have to confirm that. You'll probably want to change shocks as well if they haven't been done. Labour would be about 5 to 6 hours for those. Alignment afterwards can be a problem, I know on my car the rear camber was excessive until we slotted one of the control arm to spindle bolt holes to allow some more adjustment.

Give me a call or e-mail here if you would like some more info on any of this.

905-857-1252 or parts@finesford.dealeremail.com

cheers
Ed Nicholson

I had my suspension and exhaust done at Master Performance in Brampton. Talk to Tracy at 905-452-9700 and say Steve Richards referred you.

I forgot about Master Perf. for suspension installation. They did the stainless exhaust on my car, nice job. You can also tell them that Ed with the black SC recommends them as well, if you go there.

BTW, I forgot to give you some prices on belts, I'll try to do that tomorrow morning before I take off for the balance of the week (moving time !!)

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks guys!!!!

Ed. How long of a drive is Bolton from Toronto? Re the springs, I bought some off of Joe at J&P for 400 plus the taxes. Seems to be the best so far. :) Alignment is what I'm worried about though. I will be needing all the tune up parts soon. I wouldn't mind the drive out to save a couple of bucks. :)

Steve, thanks for the tip, I will definitly call them. How much did they charge you for the install? Straight line wants 3.5 hours labour at 70.00 an hour.

I have to do the belts tomorrow, along with my starter. :rolleyes: So Ed, I will just be buying them from ford down here for now. I picked up a reman starter and solenoid for 90 tax in.

Getting my exhaust on Thursday @ Selmon's. 460 with turbo mufflers and reasonator sound good?

Do you think that 10W40 is going to be a good oil to run for now?

Thanks guys. Also anyone have any idea what labour is to do gears?

thanks, ronnie

Ron, Bolton is about 1/2 hour or so from downtown T.O. Go north on 427 till it ends, left on Hwy. 7, next intersection is Hwy. 50. Go north up there about 10 minutes, we're on the right side. I'll be off later work later this week, but the other guy in parts, Rob, can certainly help you out for the tune-up stuff. I'll be back Monday if you want to wait until then.

10W40 oil is fine to use in the summertime in an SC, the crank and bearings are taking a pounding with that whirrly thing on top of the motor.

Labour for rear gears would be about 4.5 to 5 hours I believe.

cheers
Ed N.

I did my exhaust at Selmons and he did and excellent job. You should be very happy with the job.

Is the price for the parts and installation of the resonator & mufflers on the stock pipes?

That price from Selmon's is everything. Parts and installation. good or bad?

I am probably picking up a set of gears from Joe, used 3.27's from his street car for a hundred.

Ed, if you could check for me on the labour for doing gears, that would be much appreciated.

On a side unrelated note. Anyone know why my centre lights on my tail lights don't light up? My corners and third brake light come on though. I have a 92? Are they LED? Are they expensive to replace?

thanks, ronnie

HK416SC said:
Ed, if you could check for me on the labour for doing gears, that would be much appreciated.

On a side unrelated note. Anyone know why my centre lights on my tail lights don't light up? My corners and third brake light come on though. I have a 92? Are they LED? Are they expensive to replace?

thanks, ronnie

Sounds like your not sure about the year of your car :D

Yes, those are LED, and are known for being non-functional when as time goes by. Ford sells them as complete units only, last time I looked I think they were something like $300 + per side. Not sure if anybody's come up with a repair method ... can anybody else answer that ?

I'll confirm the gear labour pricing, pretty sure it's around 5 hours.

cheers
Ed N.

Gimme a break, new to 'luxury' cars. :D

I now know that they work the way they're supposed to. Phew... :p

thanks, for the tips Ed and the rest. Much appreciated. I'll try not to ask so many newbie questions.

ronnie

Master Performance charges $65 per hour.

Looking at the bill I got, I am having a tough time unbundling the labour since I got the exhaust, gas tank, shocks, coils, pinions, bearings, brakes, bushings all done at the same time.

Best to just give them a call.

Sorry.

Ronnie, just checking the labour guide here this morning for the ring & pinion. I was a bit low, it shows 6.5 hours. Our door rate is $76.50, we can discount that 10% for SCCoO people. Our service guys will be fair with you though, if it takes a lot less time than the labour guide shows, then they wouldn't charge you the full 6.5 hours.

cheers
Ed N.

Back