Who would be interested in an autocross or road race (drivers school) event?

quick35th

Guys since many of you feel that adding an autocross event or a drivers school would be to much added to the shootout schedual, how many people would be interested in attending a completely seperate event of the shootout that would take place earlier in the year of the shootout and be mainly an autocross event or a drivers school? I want to use this thread for people to give me their ideas and inputs on this. The more input the better, possitive or negative, let me know what you think cause I want to hear it. The amount of input I get will determine whether its an autocross event or road race (drivers school) that I try to setup. Again eveyone use this thread to post your thoughts and ideas here and if you'd go to an event of this type post here and let me know.

Shane

I'm in for AX or a road course. Honestly, I think an oval is a little dangerous for amateurs, since there's no runoff area. Besides, the size of an oval you'd need to really let these cars run fast would be incredibly expensive to rent.

Honestly I think the thing to do would be to get as many SCers as possible to show up for an established local or regional NASA or SCCA event so that the logistics are already handled.

This would be a great event for SCers to experience. Just about everyone who tries it, finds it to be way more fun than drag racing.

If it does I go, I would certainly try to lend a hand with the organizing and execution of the event.

cheers
Ed N.

I'm up for an event like that....

Anything that involves my SC would be fun....

Especially large wet parking lots behind Quaker Steak and Lube.....

Last edited:
Honestly I think the thing to do would be to get as many SCers as possible to show up for an established local or regional NASA or SCCA event so that the logistics are already handled.

Actually that is almost exactly what my plan is. There is a local car club here in Columbus that rents road courses out all the time. They brake you down into groups based off experience. At the end of the day you get a few hours of track time. The price would be very similar to what it costs to compete at this years Shootout as well.

Now if I am to setup an autocross event then I would work something out with my good friend which used to the the chairman of the Ohio Valley Region, in which we would have a fun event where the local autocrossers could volunteer to be corner and grid workers for us and inturn they would at the end of the day get to run free runs with some of us working the course for them. It would work and it would be great fun. I just need to talk with the current chairman to see about using timing and scoring and then talk to the course designer to make us a fun, fast, and challenging course. As far as rules would go I would be fallowing the SCCA rules to keep things simple.

Guys keep the input coming! I really couldn't have just a handfull of people show up to make it worth while for everyone there. I'd need probably a group the size of our typical shootout otherwise we would just have to have a meet of our own tied into an established local or regional NASA or SCCA event.

Shane

I would be all in for a weekend Driving school on any Road course. I have done both AX and Road, and IMHO, there is nothing like Road!!!!!! Letting your car loose (with an instructor present for those of us in Class 1-2), is not only exhilerating, you just might learn a thing or two about yourself and your car. I cant see myself driving 9-10 hrs for AX.
Fast Ed is a great resource re: this, and if you wish, I can put you in touch with Laura Geurin of the SVTOA (Toronto) who organizes such an event in Ontario at Shannonville Race Track. It was well organized, well attended, well run and well worth the money.
I am not sure what car I will have (probably the same LX), but rest assured, she will be better prepared for her next track excursion. Though she did everything that I asked, the cars limitations were obvious. The S/C already has better suspension and handling. KONI's and Race Tires are on my to do list, for sure.
I have listed the SVTOA (Toronto) site and the Page from last August's Track Days for your perusal and info. There is a contact link for Laura on the sites home page. If I can be of any assistance in this, though I am a bit far away, do not hesitate to ask. tbirdmedic@sympatico.ca
http://www.svtoa-toronto.ca/
http://www.svtoaontrack.ca/gallery/2006/index.html

Be Safe

I have looked into this before and not knowing prices you been quoted but I looked in to Road Atlanta (2.4 miles and home of Panoz and the ALMS) is $15000 a weekend. I have no clue what Mid-Ohio would be though, since it appers event is planed for Ohio.

If funding and be arranged I would go to a road event a quick as I can get there. Auto-X maybe and Oval not at all.

I am very interested, just depends on when and where. I would not be ready until spring, but would like to do it in the spring and not conflict with the shoot out. I would be entering as a rookie, so driving school would be a must.

Mike

If I get my 5-speed car going and upgrade the brakes I'd be interested in a road course and driving school event. I've never done it before but I hear its a load of fun. I just think a 5-speed car would drive nicer on the road course where as even my lentech auto would still shift up and down too much.

I've only drag raced and I love it, but I'm up for something new. I do have a video of a ford lightning on the track at an SVTOA event here at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan which is like 25 minutes from my house. You can tell the auto likes to shift up but he seems to run good with it and even passes a Ford GT.

i think its a horrible idea shane...simply horrible, nothing else can be said about it other than its horrible. lol

just playing shane, i think it would be fun as hell...i could have the cougar runnin around all crazy, growling at people. lol

Back