10% pulley

RGuy

I hate to sound like a newbie, but how much boost will the 10% pulley allow the SC to put out?

Rob

answer

I believe the 10% pulley will put about 3 more PSI. I dare not use one of those though, Im too paranoid that i will blow a headgasket even though my engine only had 10K on it. Our superchargers, although very durable, spin at about 14,500 RPMs and adding a 5 or 10 percent pulley makes it spin much faster. They say that engines with high miles should not use on of these but do what you please haha, good luck--
Damon
95SC www.cardomain.com/id/frozenrope

Any idea what the equates to in horsepower? And for that matter, on a late model, any idea what the boost increase and approximate hp increase are for the following:

going with early model sc pulley
going with 5%
going with 10%

Here you go:

http://www.sccoa.com/faq/faq.pdf

Short version:
Says that the 5% pulley is good for 2 psi 10 hp and the 10% for 3 psi and 15-20 hp.

Seems to me the 5% offers enough without the risk associated with the 10%, but I haven't done any mod's to mine since I just got it. Exhaust first, regardless though. Might find someone going from 5% to 10% willing to sell one?

I'm wondering how this affects torque too?

im not exactly sure but i think that if you have a '94 or a '95 SC and you put an older model pulley on, then you are using a 5% pulley. then would that make the 5% pulley on the older models a 10% on late models? then a 10% on the old models is a 15% on the late models? or am i just making things up now?

Each car will react differently to a bigger blower overdrive. I have run a 10% pulley with both stock, and modified exhaust. It will create more boost, make more power, but also create more heat and can cause the motor to lean out. Be aware that a 10% pulley will increase the likeliness of you blowing your head gaskets.

Back