signs of a torque going bad??

ddw350

my 94 sc auto has devoloped of steady clunking with appears to be almost directly under the shifter,i cant quite pin point it.years ago i had bad motor mounts with created a vibration/clunking,but it wasnt a steady rythmic sound like this.this just started when it got cold outside,and it does go away once the car is warmed up,or it is warm outside.there is no slippage or hesitation in the trans as of yet.i heard someone mention torque converters doing this..any ideas?? oh yea my odometer started working again!

Fluid fine? Checked your tranny mounts lately? try checking the tranny line pressure when its doing its new trick, should shed some light im thinking.

The odometer has nothing to do with the transmission. Personally the 94 4r70w's and the converters that came with them are junk. 95's got the updated lockup piston in the converter but the transmisions didn't change enough until 98. I would drop the pan and see what kind of crap you find in it I doubt you want to spend the money on a converter for a 94 transmission however.
Alan

i know the odometer doesnt affect the trans,after a post i usually mention whether or not its working! im on a roll,its worked for like a month,i dont feel like fooling with it,thats all....i have checked the fluid,looks like it normnally does for 15,000 miles on it..ive been changing it and draining the converter every 20k forever.the converter use to have the dredded shutter at low rpms,i added some friction modifer afetr it started doing this like back in 2000.i would change filter,drain pan/converter fill half up,add modifer,and top off,and have had no trouble at all with it since i started doing that,till this,i will check the tranny mount when i can,i doubt it will be that easy though,i will keep an eye and ear on it to see if it gets worse.why would it stop after the cars warms up,guess the fluid would be thinner and flow better if it is something internal? damn car...thanks for the input

Back