Thread: Door Latch Switch

Question Door Latch Switch

The door latch "switch" on the pass side of my '93 that signals the door ajar dinger and the function of the shoulder belt works intermittently. Most of the time, it fails to function, though and the pass side belt stays in the down position and the door ajar dinger stays on.

Is it possible that the switch just needs to be cleaned out and retightened, or is it toast? I'd like to know in advance so I can decide whether or not to buy a new one. It seems odd that the pass side one would wear out first!?

By the way, what is the part number??

THANKS.

The striker on the B-pillar might need to be adjusted (vertically or horizontally) to ensure that the door latch is closing correctly and activating the switch.

I'll try this out, thanks. I always ask people not to slam the door and they just don't seem to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    The striker on the B-pillar might need to be adjusted (vertically or horizontally) to ensure that the door latch is closing correctly and activating the switch.

You can try to clean it. It is a fairly common problem. Otherwise you can replace it. In the mean time you can disconnect the switch but you will lose the auto seat belt feature.

Dude my '96 Cougar just did the same thing about a month ago, the light all of a sudden came on one day and it would only go off if you slammed the passenger door really hard. And the guy uptown at the coop said the latch in mine was about $200 to replace and with insalation and everything it would be somewhere around $400! What a crock of crap! So i figured i would wait until i found one in a salvage yard and just do it myself. But it is to cold up here to do it this time of year! high of like 40 for the next week! I hate cold weather! Florida Here I Come!