Turbo cars

Jason,

I can't see why anyone would install that jungle jim looking mess in a mid 11 second car, when all you need is a 5 point roll bar.

David

Last edited:
If you're going to install a cage you might as well get with the idea in building next to a full cage so you can run faster times legally. The only bars added are ones that go along the A-Pillar and the front windshield cross bar.

Jason, why no main cross bar?

with all this talk about cages and street driven vehicles, I would like to hear some feedback on John Garner's 9 second street driven stang setup which is certified to 8.50:
http://www.superstang.com/cage.htm
pass-rear2-800.jpg

Paul

Not bad if you dont mind breaking T 8-10 in a rear end collision. Not a fan of the steel bar behind the bendable buddy ford drivers seat.

Jason,

I can't see why anyone would install that jungle jim looking mess in a mid 11 second car, when all you need is a 5 point roll bar.

David

That is a cage for an AE86, aka toyota rally car. As I said, you need to talk to a good chassis builder not depend on that picture. And honestly, I would rather have the added roll over protection.

That is a cage for an AE86, aka toyota rally car. As I said, you need to talk to a good chassis builder not depend on that picture. And honestly, I would rather have the added roll over protection.

Jason,

The only reason I would put a roll bar or cage in one of my cars is so it would be legal to race on an NHRA track. After looking at what type of cage is required for my turbo car to run faster than 135, it's just not going to happen. It's not a race car....it's street car with a race car motor. I wouldn't even be able to drive it safely on the street with a 25.2 chassis. To be safe with that kind of cage, I would have to be strapped down with a 5 point harness and wear a helment everytime I pulled out of the driveway.

I don't need a cage for personal safety, because I'm not racing on the street. According to NHRA rules the 91 is only quick enough to need a roll bar if I use the nitrous and since I only use nitrous on the track, there is no need for a roll bar the other 99.9% of the time.

If these were cars that were raced on a regular basis and were always trailered to and from the track, it would make sense to do it. They aren't, so I'm not doing it.

David

Mild steel cages are the only ones that can be MIG welded. Chromoly cages can ONLY be TIG-Heliarc welded.

You should see the welds on my TA. They are nice nasty welds from Jeg's whenever they built the car in 1988. I don't see how it is approved either, but it is to 6.50. I just don't want to have the cage cut out and a new one put in for $15,000.

As far as I know they dont test the welds..At least I have never seen them test welds..Perhaps they do..I can tell you though without proper welds the cage itself means nothing

The welds may look crappy, but they fully penetrate. MIG welds don't penetrate or hold Chromemoly well so you have to TIG weld them. They start to overlap the welds from side to side, but it's only visual. I was just saying it's hard to believe that they would allow that, but they DO testing to each NHRA certified shop that does the cages.

The cage works as one whole unit. If one bar or weld breaks than many go, not one alone.

This guy doesnt build cages or is a shop..He did it as an individual with no mention of weld testing...

In my buissness you need to be a certified welder and go through a series of tests to assure you know what you are doing. I even have thier welds tested to confirm soundness. How can you tell if a weld fully penatrates if its not tested?...How do you know if it was welded to hot thus making the metal around the weld weaker then the weld itself....Was the metal properly preheated? Who knows?

Than again..You should see how I weld:O)

The welds may look crappy, but they fully penetrate. MIG welds don't penetrate or hold Chromemoly well so you have to TIG weld them.

With proper setup MIG will penetrate just as far as TIG, but since the Tungsten is not consumed the weld is cleaner, beyond that with a good welder (on that knows what he's doing and has experience) they are capable of doing the exact same metals/alloys.

Jason,

The only reason I would put a roll bar or cage in one of my cars is so it would be legal to race on an NHRA track. After looking at what type of cage is required for my turbo car to run faster than 135, it's just not going to happen. It's not a race car....it's street car with a race car motor. I wouldn't even be able to drive it safely on the street with a 25.2 chassis. To be safe with that kind of cage, I would have to be strapped down with a 5 point harness and wear a helment everytime I pulled out of the driveway.

I don't need a cage for personal safety, because I'm not racing on the street. According to NHRA rules the 91 is only quick enough to need a roll bar if I use the nitrous and since I only use nitrous on the track, there is no need for a roll bar the other 99.9% of the time.

If these were cars that were raced on a regular basis and were always trailered to and from the track, it would make sense to do it. They aren't, so I'm not doing it.

David

I totaly agree. Any time I get into a car that doesn't have front and side air bags I just don't wear a seat belt at all. :rolleyes:

Dave, as I said before, do what you want, but quit complaining that you have to find a new track.

I totaly agree. Any time I get into a car that doesn't have front and side air bags I just don't wear a seat belt at all. :rolleyes:

Dave, as I said before, do what you want, but quit complaining that you have to find a new track.

I think Dave is more proud that he has to find a new track. Quite acting like a two year old.

-Steve

Jason,

You just don't seem to get it, so I'll spell it out one more time.

In order to race my turbo car at an NHRA track with MPH over 135, I will need a cage like this.

PICT0072.JPG

If such a cage were to be installed in the car, it would no longer be safe for driving on the street unless wearing a helmet and being strapped in with the 5 point harness at all times. Even if I wanted to do it (I don't), wearing a helmet while driving a car on the street is against the law in MO.

It's not a race car....it's a street car.
David

Last edited:
It's not a race car....it's a street car.

Actually its probably illegal to be on the street anyways if we want to get technical.

And with that cage, a properly setup seat, a 5 point harness and no helmet you should be pretty dam safe..Because if you fly out your seat hard enough during an impact to hit your head on the cage....Youde be dead anyway

Back