Clutch pedal repair/removal

Emu Bird

A while back I posted about having difficulty shifting gears in my SC,and was advised that it could be my syncros. Well the clutch pedal went to the floor. After investigating I found that the plastic clip had broke, and the pin that secured the clutch pedal to the slave cylinder actuator had deformed making it impossible for the assembly to work properly.I have searched the boards in regards to clutch pedal removal and my unanswerd question is can I remove the clutch pedal without having to go inside the engine compartment? Also once this is corrected I believe my difficult shifts will be no more. Thanx for the input.:confused:

A while back I posted about having difficulty shifting gears in my SC,and was advised that it could be my syncros. Well the clutch pedal went to the floor. After investigating I found that the plastic clip had broke, and the pin that secured the clutch pedal to the slave cylinder actuator had deformed making it impossible for the assembly to work properly.I have searched the boards in regards to clutch pedal removal and my unanswerd question is can I remove the clutch pedal without having to go inside the engine compartment? Also once this is corrected I believe my difficult shifts will be no more. Thanx for the input.:confused:

replace the clutch pedal clip... www.fastpartsnetwork.com has 'em. buy a couple. i've gone through 3....

How badly is the post deformed? If you need to remove the clutch pedal you will need to go under the hood and remove the clutch master cylinder since it passes through and locks onto the clutch pedal bracket.

How badly is the post deformed? If you need to remove the clutch pedal you will need to go under the hood and remove the clutch master cylinder since it passes through and locks onto the clutch pedal bracket.

think he said the clutch pedal clip was deformed

The plastic part that wears and allows the clutch pin to be worn by the master cylinder operating rod is the Clutch pedal to master cylinder linkage bushing E7SZ 7A581 A.

Do a board search........several posts on this problem and what others did to fix it.

Just to update this post,

The part # has been updated to 6C3Z-7A581-A Seems like trucks have this bushing in their clutch pedals so we get to bennefit from a still avail part.

I busted mine when I was changing the Hydro line.

Just to update this post,

The part # has been updated to 6C3Z-7A581-A Seems like trucks have this bushing in their clutch pedals so we get to bennefit from a still avail part.

I busted mine when I was changing the Hydro line.

that stupid clip is 7 dollars????:eek:

Yep round clip that if you dont fix will cause lots of headaches because you will have to pull the whole pedal out and replace Not fun since the dash pins it.

AHHHHHH help.

my super coupe keeps breaking this clip. i had the car for 7 months and never had a problem.. now... i break the clip once a week. i bought 2 and every time one breaks. i switch it and take the broke one back to ford and they warranty replace it for me.... but ithink they are gettin tired of me. so any sugestions. thinkin bout puttin a fabricated metal metal bushing and a 3/8 e clip on it and calling it done. any one got any other ideas?

I removed the pedal from the car, just the pedal, not the entire bracket. I fabricated a bushing to go over the stud on the pedal out of oil injected brass. used a flapper wheel to clean the eyelet. Took the pedal and a drill, drilled a small hole through the grooved part and reinstalled. Used a cotter key to lock everything in place. 6 months now and everything still like new. It's easily serviceable and wont break.

Same thing happened to mine..clips kept on breaking. Now I need to change pedal and master rod....Does the pedal come out easy>?

I wouldn't say it's easy (tight fit). I believe the bolt that holds the pedal onto the bracket takes a 13mm. The nut is between the outside of the bracket and the kick panel. I removed the seat so I could lay on the floor on my back. You can't see the nut, its by feel only. Taking it apart is not as bad as going back together. The bolt is stepped, trying to get everything lined up involves a lot of swearing. Like I said, you can't see whats going on. Your hands are your eyeballs.

I wouldn't say it's easy (tight fit). I believe the bolt that holds the pedal onto the bracket takes a 13mm. The nut is between the outside of the bracket and the kick panel. I removed the seat so I could lay on the floor on my back. You can't see the nut, its by feel only. Taking it apart is not as bad as going back together. The bolt is stepped, trying to get everything lined up involves a lot of swearing. Like I said, you can't see whats going on. Your hands are your eyeballs.

I looked under awhile back an dsaid...eehhhhhhhhhh..But I really need to change it soon as shifting is now getting hard

I have some UHMW to make a bushing out of but I need the id of the clutch rod.

If someone has that it will really save me a lot of grief and heartache taking mine apart.

Regards

Sean

Autozone carries the bushing now. Comes in the help section under Dorman 14041. Has several in there, but the little white clip will work. Couple bucks cheaper than the Ford clip and usually available when needed. Least the stores around here keep better hours than the Ford parts department.

Follow up to clutch pedal removal

I have a replacement clutch pedal assembly and looks as though I can replace the clutch pedal by removing it from the assembly hopfully avoiding having to go under the hood. Anybody tried this approach before. All so what about using a c-clip or e-type clip on the end to secure the pedal to the post.:cool:

I have a replacement clutch pedal assembly and looks as though I can replace the clutch pedal by removing it from the assembly hopfully avoiding having to go under the hood. Anybody tried this approach before. All so what about using a c-clip or e-type clip on the end to secure the pedal to the post.:cool:

They end up not working if the back side is worn smooth. Nothing for it to attach too. Tried this with several clips. Ended up just using a small hose clamp on the end until I could pull it and get it remade. Little welding and filing and it was all back ready to go.

Back