Turbo and supercharger

Kurt13R

I just read a lot of forums discussing the use of a turbo along with the supercharger. I'm by no means an expert on this topic but don't you think it would be possible to have a turbo feed the m90. Have the exhaust from the engine feed the turbo and have the turbo feed the supercharger? Anyone have any comments about this matter. Thanks

Kurt

It has been done here in Australia. It was a 304 chev motor with twin turbo's feeding a B&M blower for memory. I will try to find the artical in one of the magazines. Made some good power. This was in a local built car from the 70's, a Holden Torana.

Last edited:
Yes, like mentioned abve somoe guy had a turbo and SC on one car after a certain RPM or Boost level i cant remember wich the sc was dirverted and the turbo was used:confused:

Dave why do you say it's not very practical?

Because you can already make more power than you can drive on the street with either a supercharger or a turbocharger...you don't need both. But it could be done. I would use a rear mount turbo and feed the supercharger in it's existing configuration.

David

I don't know if I'd like to use a rear mount for the turbo. It'll loose a significant amount of heat that way. The more pressure and heat from the exhaust in the turbo will make the turbines spin faster. I'd like to mount it somewhere under the hood.

I know that a turbo kit is in the works for the supercharged cobalt ss. For that twin forced induction principal. Volkswagen also has a twin charged (turbo&sc) setup for the new rabbit. Its a european only option offering a 1.6 4 banger twin charged.

All you need is exhaust pressure and velocity heat is the enemy. A rear mount Turbo is excellent for a street vehicle... saw a rear mount LS1 that is friggin awesome.. Also the new GTO has a rear mount kit that is impressive , and the rear mount has a built in intercooler being the long return plumbing under the car overall given no leaks a very impressive packaging and performance option.

If doing a turbo alone, I wouldn't go with a rear mount because I don't think they are nearly as efficent because the exhaust gas spinning the turbine won't be as hot or moving as fast.

If just using the turbo to supply positive pressure (4-6 psi) to feed the supercharger, I think using a rear mount would be much easier to package.

David

for all out performance I have to agree, but for balanced street muscle and ease of packaging on bigger v8s the rear mount makes sense.

Back