Exhaust Pipe Diameter Confusion

MSG419

I'm looking at some stainless 2 1/4" pipe for my exhaust and am wondering about the pipe size.

The outside diameter is 2.25" with a wall thickness of .065".

Is this the correct size if I want to run 2 1/4" pipe for downtubes to cats and resonator then to 3.0" center section and back to 2.25" to mufflers?

Thanks,
Mark

Stock manifold exits are around 2" diameter give or take. I have always went from the flange which can be no larger then 2 1/4 to fit right (or at all) directly to 2.5 inch Dual in to 3 inch out back out to dual 2.5....If you have the later model gas tank you can go 3.5 inch even on the center section or dual 2.5's. Although not needed on a stock motor I perfer to go the larger exhaust. Even if you do dual 2 1/4 into resonator and 3 inch out you can still split to dual 2.5.

If you are building a nice setup for yourself you may want to conside rthat late model gas tank option regardless of what size you plan on going..Much straighter pathway with less bends and restrictions

I went with the late model tank and ran 2.25 inch pipes to the mufflers. I really think it was worth the work. I got mine out of a junk yard for $75. Make sure you get the straps if you do it. One of them is differant, I dont remember which one but you have to have it.:eek:

Back