Tubular Rear Control Arms

Would you be interested in Tubular Rear Control Arms?

• Yes, if the Price was "Reasonable"

Votes: 102 82.9%
  • Yes, at Almost any Price

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • No Thanks, Stock is Good Enough

Votes: 15 12.2%

• Total voters
You guys do realize that there have been some pictures already posted of the anti thrust arms in another thread that I actually started a few months ago. There's only been a few modifications of that original design to what you see there.

I guess I just might as well post them on this thread. Would that be helpful?

You guys do realize that there have been some pictures already posted of the anti thrust arms in another thread that I actually started a few months ago. There's only been a few modifications of that original design to what you see there.

I guess I just might as well post them on this thread. Would that be helpful?

This thread is about tubular lower control arms. That's what I'm here for. There is a lot of confusion over what's going on in this thread, and since tubular LCAs are clearly not on the way, I'd be all for locking this thread and putting an end to the confusion.

The tubular rear control arms were being looked into by Thomas A as a means to eliminate wheel hop. But, as Thomas stated he doesn't have the time to pursue it any further. He also said that anyone else who wanted to continue on with his initial beginnings were welcome to carry on.

There are no tubular rear control arms and never have been. However, there are many of us on here who could probably make a set up if you want some. :D The problem is.... they won't eliminate wheel hop on there own and still have to be connected to the same bushings at the same locations.

There is nothing wrong with the mk viii or t-bird LCA'S except they need to be end restrained because of there instability due to the moment of inertia produced by the excessive thrust produced by 5 speeds.

If you want to reduce weight, I would think the mark viii's are a great alt. But I can still get you aluminun tubular control arms. I just don't understand why?still confusing??

At this point, I don't really need tubular LCAs. But I'm always interested in new products that the development of the MN12 platform alive. There are probably other people who are still interested in tubular arms, even though the Mark 8 option is readily available. So it's not that I have anything against what you've done, Tinman, but the fact that your other thread and this thread have become accidentally intertwined, combined with the fact that, as you say, the original intent of this thread is sort of dead, makes me think that this entire thread is past its usefulness.

No real need, to close it; I'll just unsubscribe, and people who are still interested in either Tinman's efforts or the tubular LCAs can continue to check this thread out.

There are probably other people who are still interested in tubular arms, even though the Mark 8 option is readily available. So it's not that I have anything against what you've done.

No real need, to close it; I'll just unsubscribe, and people who are still interested in either Tinman's efforts or the tubular LCAs can continue to check this thread out.

I was originally looking to develop tubular rear UPPER control arms, not lowers. That was a few years ago, and most people felt there was no real benefit to them, so I dropped the idea.

And yes, this thread has essentially been ruined with all the discussion of an unrelated subject. But considering it was a dead thread to start with, no big loss.

Thomas

The first thing I noticed is that there is no provision for a spring. Then I looked at the photos and found they used coilovers. I think there is more work to be done than just a bolt in swap. Not that it is a bad thing, but just so you know. Looks good though. That was the kind of thing I was looking to make when I lost all of my time.

SWS

However Id like to see an upper arm option.

A triangulated UCA would only be necessary if the knuckle attached to the LCA at a single point, as it does on the '99-'04 Cobra IRS.

With two attachment points between the knuckle and the LCA, the stock UCA only exists to provide camber control and works fine with the bushings that you already have on your car. ;)

It might look nicer, but it wouldn't change a thing. :p

The first thing I noticed is that there is no provision for a spring. Then I looked at the photos and found they used coilovers. I think there is more work to be done than just a bolt in swap. Not that it is a bad thing, but just so you know. Looks good though. That was the kind of thing I was looking to make when I lost all of my time.

SWS

Seems like a spring perch could be fab'd and welded to these? http://www.performanceartworks.com/Products.php
I'm a newbe so forgive me if this has been researched....

I'm looking at using the Mark-8 arms but nearly $200 for the "UHMW"? bush'ns seems steep?(is the UHMW material that high $ ?)....do like the split design for install'n.....Found these http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...=product_info&cPath=21_88_192&products_id=472 Are they a cost effective/sutable alturnative to the UHMW's ???....Or are these the way ta go??> http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...=product_info&cPath=21_88_193&products_id=476
My 5-speed 90 is emberassing with wheel hop.....Soon to order rear cover brace and poly front dif bushings.....is this the best/cost reasonable first upgrade for wheel hop?
Are their Motor/trans mounts worth the effert for wheel hop.....Will put on my wish list for pour'n money into this pit>(Worse than coke or a younger woman but she and the T-Bird are OH SO FUN ta DRIVE!!)

Super-6 weld+port'n...Wiesco .020 pistons+eagle rods,balanced rotate'n assy, March under drive pulleys and 10% jackshaft pulley, 3" intake+flow master x-40,3"exhaust:D.......160K on fact suspension.:eek:

Thanks and forgive the off track thread last question and veh descripsion,:rolleyes:
Steve French/Hydroracer100N:cool:

Last edited:
Hydroracer - One thing to consider. Since it's a full IRS, I sincerely doubt much of what you're doing at the diff will affect your wheel hop.

Try the Delrin LCA and knuckle bushings FIRST.

Oh, replace the old diff bushings - but again, that flexing won't cause or cure wheel hop, that ain't what's shifting!

Remember, INDEPENDENT rear suspension ...

RwP

Back