Tubular Rear Control Arms

Would you be interested in Tubular Rear Control Arms?

• Yes, if the Price was "Reasonable"

Votes: 102 82.9%
  • Yes, at Almost any Price

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • No Thanks, Stock is Good Enough

Votes: 15 12.2%

• Total voters
AJE makes a tubular K member..need to use the complete setup ..COil overs to tubular arms..It gets rid of the strut rod setup..Unsure how good it is for handeling or ride quality however

Then it's useless. We need a tubular k-member for road course/street use. Then any negative ride quality aspects could be worked out with spring rate, sway bar, and adjustable shocks.

BTW, drink lots of juice, keep a cold compress/wash cloth on your forehead, and get plenty of rest. You need to get better before you come home.

I think the weight of a tubular upper rear arm vs. the stock one will be pretty much the same. The stock ones are fairly light already.

Thomas

True they dont weigh all that much...Any weight loss there would be negligable except that weight loss in suspension peices generally add to a better riding vehicle

I dont think that the upper CAN actually weigh any less than the stock for the mark VIII. They have holes cut in almost the entire top portion of them. I would sacrifice a bit of weight there for stability though. And we have discussed how to make that possible.

Chris

What about making an entire tubular rear subframe instead the the stock upper and lower controlling arms can mount to?

Shane

That would be the ideal solution. I think I would have to go to another company to get the subframe done. I wonder if AJE would be interested in do that?

Thomas

That would be the ideal solution. I think I would have to go to another company to get the subframe done. I wonder if AJE would be interested in do that?

Thomas

That would be fine just as long as they dont turn out like the AJE front tubular kmembers did.

Shane

A rear subframe using STOCK geometry with solid mounts to body..Sounds good to me. If anything diff mounting can be changed to be solidy mounted as well or to use COBRA irs mounts..That would be ideal

I'm in

Anything that would give us a stable rear upper arm would be an improvement, espically if it were designed to give us adjustability without those eliptical washers. Since '99 Cobra rear shocks fit, wouldn't '99 Cobra coilovers squeeze in there? But, if some company were to go to all the trouble of giving us a new subframe, wouldn't a new mount for the pumpkin be nice? And, how about two rear shocks? Surely there's room on that LCR to mount the thing, then, with a stablizer bar mounted between the tops of the rear shocks, we ought to be able to bounce it over curbs at speed. One note, I added a rear tortional load brace and that made a huge difference in handling -- I can actually keep the rear under control when hitting a pothole in a curve -- so let's get good bracing inbetween the lower arms, also.

While I like the idea of adding an additional set of rear shocks, connecting the tops of the two shock would be difficult given the elevation difference of the mounting points. One would basically be on the floor of the trunk. :(

I mentioned teh cobra coil over setup and Dave D mentioned the potential of loss of tire clearence....Kenny brown has an awfully nice setup if anyoen is daring enough to try

If anything diff mounting can be changed to be solidy mounted as well or to use COBRA irs mounts..That would be ideal

Damon,

Kenny Brown makes or used to make solid aluminum diff bushings for cobras with IRS. Those bushings are obviously the very same as ours. I have a pair on my 35th, they are nice.

Shane

SHane,

I iknwo and you can adjust teh pinion angle with them as well...However I was afraid to use it with a factory rear rubber mount. I was thinking when all is said and done to set pinion angle then just tack metal plate to rear diff bushing to make it solid

Thats what I am going to do with mine. I am going to set the angle and then add the weld to that mount. THEN, I am going to add a brace to the rear cover AND the front to make that bioch solid...It will be cool.

Chris

Thomas, I would need a print of the control arm, and we would need 100 sets to cover tooling.
Thanks,
This won't happen unless some vendors want to step up and make a rather large investment. :(

This was through ADDCO, which is a great company. Maybe someone else would be willing to work with us on the number needed?

Thomas

Back