Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SC in the Driveway

New SC in the Driveway

Just bought this 89 SC, my brother had one just like it but a 1990. Anyway, it has 74K miles, a few paint imperfections but otherwise someone took very good care of the this car.

Car fax is really clean, the car never left Colorado, a few owners but not a lot of miles.

The stereo is ok, but I think it will get replaced.

Electric Mirror switch doesnt work.

But hey its for my Kid, he really thinks it is nice and so do I.

Hope to have good luck with this, the 96 Acura RL with 300K was starting to nickel and dime us.

ML
    Last edited by obgod3; 11-19-2006 at 03:08 PM. Reason: More Pictures

that is a very nice car.

wasnt that one for sale on here?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoToneThunder View Post
    wasnt that one for sale on here?
    Yes it was. Looked at this weekend, real nice, actually I didnt think I would buy it really, but it was in such good shape for what I wanted to spend on some new wheels for my son I couldnt find anything close, most everything was crap.

Hope it works out.

do you know a way to make it drive better in snow ;-)

very nice.... congrats

Quote Originally Posted by obgod3 View Post
    do you know a way to make it drive better in snow ;-)
    Yes Dont drive it

They really are not that bad in the snow....just accelerate slowly or for the winter months it couldn't hurt to remove the supercharger belt.

I have to say I have always been a Mustang or Toyota guy, this is a really solid car and a lot of fun, maybe I should have got it for myself and not my son, god I hope he doesnt wreck it.

Where in Colorado are you?

We have very close "family" of SC guys here. As well as some highly modified cars (both show and go).. We have lots of spare parts, and know the cars inside and out. Not much going on in the winter, but when the weather is nice we do cruises, cookouts, racing, and dyno tuning. A couple of us have some pretty big projects coming up this winter. I'm pulling the engine again in my car for "upgrades"

Send me an email if you and your son would be interested in meeting the group. We usually meet in the North Denver area, around Westminster. Check out my member page for pics and details on my car.

92bird (at) comcast (dot) net

Jeramie

1992 Thunderbird SC
    345.5 rwhp and 399.9 rwtq
    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    223 fwhp and 319 fwtq
    Last edited by 92bird; 02-07-2007 at 03:59 PM.

The car looks nice. Get an extra set of rims and mount some snow tires on them.

S.c.

The body looks as clean and bright as my 92' does. Very nice find you have there.

well I wanted to give an update. First my son spun the car in the snow, ripped off part of the bumper cover, no internal damage but the red duct tape looks pretty good. Wait till spring to fix that. Hey things happen right.

But although it seemed solid mechanically "we have a problem houston":

- well we knew there was a leak, we thought oil, nope.
    - one day I see PWR sterring fluid all over the Driveway, high pressure hoses broke
    - so I bring it in to get it fixed and we start taking it apart.
    - Radiator has a leak(s) along with a cracked overflow bottle, replace
    - Tranny lines are leaking badly, replace
    - oh crap the water pump is bad and leaking, replace
    - checked everything when it was apart and replaced anything that was so so
    - Seals for the IC tubes are gone, rpelaced, work great
    - Bearing for the SC is going bad...fix it later or rebuild in the spring
    - 2K later it is fixed, right, nope
    - Now the car stalls when we let off the gas and return to idle
    - so back in we go
    - check the cam sensor and replace, nope didnt fix it
    - now we are waitng on the idle module, hopfully it fixes the problem

However we have added: Keyless entry and remote start, Alpine deck and focal speakers.

So now I have to decide if I keep it, seems like there isnt much more to go wrong, Harmonic Blanacer is in good shape, who knows about the head gaskets. I have a lot of money in this thing now.

We still like the car and we want to keep it but zeesshh I am not sure. Oh and getting parts is no fun either.

I still have my 73 240Z I need to fix up. And I that much better.
    Last edited by obgod3; 02-02-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Car looks really sweet in the pics but now you say its wrecked Its never a good idea to give an SC to someone thats just learning how to drive.

Shane

Quick35th, I agree somewhat but I am a car and motorcycle collector and dont mind the kids driving them, accepting the risk myself of course.

He drives fine and is very responsible, more so than most adults I see out there. He got caught on some black ice and looped it on a down hill, had nothing to do with foot to pedal, just bad luck and probably would happen to half the folks out on the road. I dont really care much about that but the mechanical issues do leave me to think it might not end. But I disagree with giving him the car statement, myself, my brother, father all had muscle type cars since we were young and learned how to drive them. Most folks around here cant drive a 4x4 in the snow let alone a rear wheel drive, he will be a better driver in the end after learning to drive the car better. To be honest I proabably didnt do a good job talking to him about black ice since we dont usuaully see it here, while I grew up with it in NE.

He actually takes very good care of the car, wanted to get a job to help pay for the things we have to do and fix but I prefer him to work on school.

And it is not wrecked really, needs a new bumper cover, not a big deal, chump change. I have seen much worse on this forum.

I was just surprised as we dug into this car how much work it really needed. Anyway we have done a lot and I think we will most likely keep it, I do like the car myself and even with the temp repair to the bumper it still looks great. Heck i sometimes let him take the Lexus so I can drive the SC to work.
    Last edited by obgod3; 02-02-2007 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quick35th View Post
    Car looks really sweet in the pics but now you say its wrecked Its never a good idea to give an SC to someone thats just learning how to drive.

Shane
    And you might be right, so I am getting it fixed and I might keep it as my Toy, but if I do the wife said something has to go...yikes that means the piece of sh.t 240Z, I cant let that go....I need storage.....

I picked up a Scion TC for the boy. Actually a fun little car...it was funny watching him learn to drive a 5 speed.

Lightbulb sc

there is no bad luck when driving
    its called learn how to drive