New SC in the Driveway

obgod3

Just bought this 89 SC, my brother had one just like it but a 1990. Anyway, it has 74K miles, a few paint imperfections but otherwise someone took very good care of the this car.

111277660-M.jpg

111277689-M.jpg

111383333-M.jpg

111383346-M.jpg

111383355-M.jpg

Car fax is really clean, the car never left Colorado, a few owners but not a lot of miles.

The stereo is ok, but I think it will get replaced.

Electric Mirror switch doesnt work.

But hey its for my Kid, he really thinks it is nice and so do I.

Hope to have good luck with this, the 96 Acura RL with 300K was starting to nickel and dime us.

ML

Last edited:
wasnt that one for sale on here?

Yes it was. Looked at this weekend, real nice, actually I didnt think I would buy it really, but it was in such good shape for what I wanted to spend on some new wheels for my son I couldnt find anything close, most everything was crap.

Hope it works out.

do you know a way to make it drive better in snow ;-)

do you know a way to make it drive better in snow ;-)

Yes Dont drive it:rolleyes:

They really are not that bad in the snow....just accelerate slowly or for the winter months it couldn't hurt to remove the supercharger belt.

I have to say I have always been a Mustang or Toyota guy, this is a really solid car and a lot of fun, maybe I should have got it for myself and not my son, god I hope he doesnt wreck it.:D

Where in Colorado are you?

We have very close "family" of SC guys here. As well as some highly modified cars (both show and go).. We have lots of spare parts, and know the cars inside and out. Not much going on in the winter, but when the weather is nice we do cruises, cookouts, racing, and dyno tuning. A couple of us have some pretty big projects coming up this winter. I'm pulling the engine again in my car for "upgrades" :D

Send me an email if you and your son would be interested in meeting the group. We usually meet in the North Denver area, around Westminster. Check out my member page for pics and details on my car.

92bird (at) comcast (dot) net

Jeramie

1992 Thunderbird SC
345.5 rwhp and 399.9 rwtq
2000 Grand Prix GTP
223 fwhp and 319 fwtq

Last edited:
well I wanted to give an update. First my son spun the car in the snow, ripped off part of the bumper cover, no internal damage but the red duct tape looks pretty good. Wait till spring to fix that. Hey things happen right.

But although it seemed solid mechanically "we have a problem houston":

- well we knew there was a leak, we thought oil, nope.
- one day I see PWR sterring fluid all over the Driveway, high pressure hoses broke
- so I bring it in to get it fixed and we start taking it apart.
- Radiator has a leak(s) along with a cracked overflow bottle, replace
- Tranny lines are leaking badly, replace
- oh crap the water pump is bad and leaking, replace
- checked everything when it was apart and replaced anything that was so so
- Seals for the IC tubes are gone, rpelaced, work great
- Bearing for the SC is going bad...fix it later or rebuild in the spring
- 2K later it is fixed, right, nope
- Now the car stalls when we let off the gas and return to idle
- so back in we go
- check the cam sensor and replace, nope didnt fix it
- now we are waitng on the idle module, hopfully it fixes the problem

However we have added: Keyless entry and remote start, Alpine deck and focal speakers.

So now I have to decide if I keep it, seems like there isnt much more to go wrong, Harmonic Blanacer is in good shape, who knows about the head gaskets. I have a lot of money in this thing now.:(

We still like the car and we want to keep it but zeesshh I am not sure. Oh and getting parts is no fun either.

I still have my 73 240Z I need to fix up. And I that much better.

Last edited:
Car looks really sweet in the pics but now you say its wrecked :( Its never a good idea to give an SC to someone thats just learning how to drive.

Shane

Quick35th, I agree somewhat but I am a car and motorcycle collector and dont mind the kids driving them, accepting the risk myself of course.

He drives fine and is very responsible, more so than most adults I see out there. He got caught on some black ice and looped it on a down hill, had nothing to do with foot to pedal, just bad luck and probably would happen to half the folks out on the road. I dont really care much about that but the mechanical issues do leave me to think it might not end. But I disagree with giving him the car statement, myself, my brother, father all had muscle type cars since we were young and learned how to drive them. Most folks around here cant drive a 4x4 in the snow let alone a rear wheel drive, he will be a better driver in the end after learning to drive the car better. To be honest I proabably didnt do a good job talking to him about black ice since we dont usuaully see it here, while I grew up with it in NE.

He actually takes very good care of the car, wanted to get a job to help pay for the things we have to do and fix but I prefer him to work on school.

And it is not wrecked really, needs a new bumper cover, not a big deal, chump change. I have seen much worse on this forum.

I was just surprised as we dug into this car how much work it really needed. Anyway we have done a lot and I think we will most likely keep it, I do like the car myself and even with the temp repair to the bumper it still looks great. Heck i sometimes let him take the Lexus so I can drive the SC to work.

Last edited:
Car looks really sweet in the pics but now you say its wrecked :( Its never a good idea to give an SC to someone thats just learning how to drive.

Shane

And you might be right, so I am getting it fixed and I might keep it as my Toy, but if I do the wife said something has to go...yikes that means the piece of sh.t 240Z, I cant let that go....I need storage.....

I picked up a Scion TC for the boy. Actually a fun little car...it was funny watching him learn to drive a 5 speed.

Got your email.. Not sure what to make of the stumbling.. Still thinking about that one.

If you find a bumper in the junkyard, grab it.. They are very hard to find out here. There are rarely any supercoupes in the junkyards here.

I don't fault your son for spinning out. These cars are difficult for experienced adult drivers to drive in the slippery weather. In fact, a local member's wife just did the same thing, but tottalled their '94 SC.. It was a nice car, brand new paint job, nice wheels, strong runner.

The limited slip axle and lots of low rpm torque make for a very easy spinout.

I don't drive my SC unless the weather is nice. I drove it to work today because its 50 some degrees, but it still dangerous with all the pea-gravel on the roads leftover from the snow.

If I think of any ideas for the stumbling I'll let you know.

Jeramie

Well we think it is the cam sensor, Ill update when we get it changed out.

As far as a bumper cover, I think I found a place back east but have yet to confirm it is an SC.

The bumper cover is torn up pretty good from the lower center around to the drivers front tire. It has a lot of red duct tape right now, Im pretty good at this, but you can hardly notice from 20 feet away. NO internal damage.

My son is fine and thanks for asking, we have had a lot of snow and with all the freezing and thawing it gets dicey, but he got caught in a ice rut and the car took him for a ride, his slid into what he thought was a snow drift, more like an ice drift...oh well no biggie. BY the time I was 17 I had rolled a car twice....:p

Got your email.. Not sure what to make of the stumbling.. Still thinking about that one.

If you find a bumper in the junkyard, grab it.. They are very hard to find out here. There are rarely any supercoupes in the junkyards here.

I don't fault your son for spinning out. These cars are difficult for experienced adult drivers to drive in the slippery weather. In fact, a local member's wife just did the same thing, but tottalled their '94 SC.. It was a nice car, brand new paint job, nice wheels, strong runner.

The limited slip axle and lots of low rpm torque make for a very easy spinout.

I don't drive my SC unless the weather is nice. I drove it to work today because its 50 some degrees, but it still dangerous with all the pea-gravel on the roads leftover from the snow.

If I think of any ideas for the stumbling I'll let you know.

Jeramie

Hey I was told that there are two of them up at the u-pull-it lot...not sure the level of accuracy on that however.

Back