New SC in the Driveway

Another thought, have you tried replacing the DIS module?

They are pretty expensive, but I have a couple spare ones that are known to work if you wanted to try it. If it fixes the problem you could have it. I ended up with 2 spare DIS modules through out the years of junkyard hunting.

I may have a spare cam sensor too, but I'd have to look through my parts boxes.

The throttle position sensor can also screw up your idle. If the computer doesn't know when the throttle is shut (due to bad TPS) it will command odd idle air control functions. If you have a voltmeter you can test this sensor, as it is simply a variable resister on a 0-5 volt refrence.

Jeramie

Another thought, have you tried replacing the DIS module?

They are pretty expensive, but I have a couple spare ones that are known to work if you wanted to try it. If it fixes the problem you could have it. I ended up with 2 spare DIS modules through out the years of junkyard hunting.

I may have a spare cam sensor too, but I'd have to look through my parts boxes.

The throttle position sensor can also screw up your idle. If the computer doesn't know when the throttle is shut (due to bad TPS) it will command odd idle air control functions. If you have a voltmeter you can test this sensor, as it is simply a variable resister on a 0-5 volt refrence.

Jeramie

I let ya know what happens once the cam sensor is replaced, Dont think they checked the DIS but he did say something about the ignition bla bla that was not giving him the right information bla bla, we did replace the throttle sensor too however. Should be today or tomorrow with whats up.

My son is fine and thanks for asking, we have had a lot of snow and with all the freezing and thawing it gets dicey, but he got caught in a ice rut and the car took him for a ride, his slid into what he thought was a snow drift, more like an ice drift...oh well no biggie. BY the time I was 17 I had rolled a car twice....:p

yeah ohio got some snow....we didnt have school for 3 days...:D ...roads are pretty slick.

As far as the overall reliability goes, I think the Thunderbird is really pretty good. There are things that will go bad eventually, but I think it's really on par with any car of similar age, weight, and complexity. The one thing that I do find difficult is finding parts, or anyone that knows how to fix it. So I just learned how to fix all the MN12- and SC-specific things myself. This club has been a giant help, as have all the vendors that hover around. Best wishes with the car!!!

P.S. - I think I am a pretty good snow driver (grew up in Pittsburgh, PA), but I have had some "incidents" myself. Almost got stuck on a hill because everyone in front of me slowed down. In retrospect, I should have probably kept further back. And I took a 360 on the highway one time because I hit a patch of ice that I just didn't expect. Things like that happen - you just have to think "worst-case" when the weather gets crazy. I'm sure your son learned from the experience.

I run $75 snow tires from TireRack.com they are called winter force 225/60/16.

The car handles awesome in the snow with them, it was scary before with standard tires.

I've ran with and without the jackshaft belt, it's easier in the snow without, you can't go sideways while driving unless you really get on some ice. With the belt on you can go sideways on any surface anytime if its the slightest bit wet out. The car is dead slow if you pull the jackshaft belt off, but it's safe.

I put mine back on now since I went to Chicago and you can get run over if you are too slow there. The car would still go 100 mph down the highway with the belt off, but it would take a while to get there.

Yeh I like the car but I got an issue, no place to put it, five dirt bikes, five cars now. So the wife says something has to go, I volunteered but that didnt work. So my choice is the T-Bird or my Dad's 1973 Datsun 240Z (since my father passed in 05) which has a lot of sentimental value, I remember him bring it home new.

So after a lot of money and a huge loss Ill take on it I am going to have to sell the T-Bird I am sure. Just when it was getting good too. I have 6K into this car now but hey sometimes things dont work out. One thing for sure the engine will be about perfect.

Sorry to hear that. What about getting rid of the dirt bikes? You'll take less of a financial loss on those I'm sure.

Back