removing lower IC tube

thundrburd

My brother is trying to take off his lower IC tube , but is having alot of problems, is there any trick to getting it off ? or is there a bolt that is hidden ? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I think there is a bolt close to the bottom of the ps pump on the side under the tube like there was on the top tube. When I did my headgaskets i pulled the whole ps brakets.

That's right, you'll have to remove the power steering bracket to get enough clearance even with the lower bolts removed. There are 2 of them, one horizontal and another vertical. The IC tube will hang up on the power steering pump and not slide out unless the whole bracket comes loose.

Does he need to completely remove the tube? If so, he will need to move the PS mounting bracket forward. I've always removed the PS pulley to make it happen, but others say you can do it without removing the PS pulley. But like said above, there is a bolt that you can see and actually reach with an assortment of swivels and extensions. I seem to remember using a 1/4" swivel and extension and a 6 pt socket (can't remember the size). I think there might be another bolt holding the tube too.

thanks guys, we got it off, and now back together for the most part, he had to change the line for the power steering , which was a pain in the ~~~

This is something you will be doing a lot of. I'd highly recommend you buy the PSP pulley puller tool and remove the bracket each time you need to take the tube off. It will save you a lot of headaches. :)

Back