hope this is ok to put here

92sclikenew

ok this is about my 97 taurus sho ,people on the shoforums.com hate me well kind of because im goin to rebuild my motor after it has spun a bearing. I just want some more 2cents on doin this, They say its not worth it because the motor will have metal shavings every were. Ok i can belive this but i know an engine shop that will hot boil tank the engine. They are tellin me its still not worth it. Ok what my car need is 1 connecting rod (got it from ebay $20 shiped). I also can ether get my crank turned or i have a used good crank. it only cost me $50 compared to a NEW $1200 one, Now all i need is bearings,about $200 i can get new bearings for the whole short block. then gaskets about $200 . What im asking dose anybody on here say the same as the others on the shoforums.com . They are sayin its not worth it because there will be metal shavings all thru out the motors oil passages.

I am saying how if its all cleaned out.

sorry if this has made anybody mad, i just want some more 2cent on this befor i go farther and its not worth it.;) ;)

Last edited:
Id say do it. I dont know much about the processes involved with cleaning or reconditioning used engine blocks, but it sounds like it would be cleaned out.
Especially since you have most of the parts, just give it a try. Who knows, it might start right up and run for years. If you have the knowledge, time, and money to do something, just give it a go.

I tend to have some odd/unorthadox ideas myself, so i'm supportive of others who like to be unique.

Let everyone here know how it turns out.
-Nick

I say go for it, The v8 SHO's are getting pretty rare because no one fixes them. Also If you havn't had it done yet I reccomend you send the Cams out to be welded for when that bolt fails (and they do) it takes alot with it.

Depends how much damage your engine got when you "spun" the bearing. There may not necessarily be metal shavings in the engine at all .. sometimes when you wear down a bearing it just gets hammered flat and wears down the crank and / or rod.
So if you are really serious, since the engine is no good as is, you should tear it down and inspect the damage. Have the crankshaft, rods, and block measured to see how much work needs to be done. You can have the crank welded and polished, rods re-conditioned, and the block honed or bored out. You may need new pistons, rods, crank, ... complete gasket set, new timing components, oil pump, recondition the heads, etc etc .. but you'll have a new engine when its finished. If you plan on doing the work youself, you should have some experience or do some research on blueprinting an engine. Its not all that hard if you have the proper tools, or have a shop do it for you. Its just going to cost $$$, or compare that to the price of a remanufactured engine to see which is going to be more cost effective for you ( unless you plan on some mods while rebuilding )
If you just plan on replacing a couple parts and throwing it all back together .. well .. I could care less but im sure the SHO people would still be mad, its not going to last.

- Dan

ok this car did have cam failur about a month befor the car spun a bearing, they been welded and all.put motor back together and it ran good and stronge till it started to get a little bit of a knock so i parked it were i lived . then about a month later i took it to my mom and dads house and pulled the oilpan and ther was one bent connceting rod (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23722&d=1164657455) this pic. a spun bearing just one, and the crank wasnt badly damaged i was told that it could be reground. but i got another good used one for 50$ so i bought it just for backups never know what might happen its a sho lol. pic of crank http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23743&d=1164760200 .

and the newly used connecting rod. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23787&d=1165273843

so now all i need is gaskets and bearings to put this together

thanks for all you guys that given me info on my sho i know this is a thunderbird site but i owne one to lol.:D

If you can get the motor hot tanked, then I wouldn't worry about the metal shavings. But the thing about rebuilding a motor is machine shop work can get very expensive very quick. What I would suggest you do is first take the motor out and pull it completely apart. Next you will need a machined straight edge and new piston ring and a set of feeler blades. Use the straight edge to check the block decks for straightness, and then lay the straight edge across all the main journals. With the straight edge laying flat across all the main journals, if you can slide a .001" feeler blade between the straight edge and any one of the main jornals, then the block will need to be align bored. Once you have satisfied that decks and the mains are straight, we move on to the cylinder bores. First check for a ridge at the top of the bore. If you can feel it with your fingernail, then the cylinder will likely need to be rebored. If it passes that test, take a new piston ring and insert it into the cylinder bore. Use an old piston to push it down so that is is in the cylinder bore squarely. Use feeler blades to check the ring end gap. The spec will probably be something like .012"-.016". If it is too high, you will likely need a rebore. Next, use a dial caliper to measure the cylinder bore both horizontally and vertically. The measurments should both be the same. If they aren't then the cylinder is ovaled and has to be rebored.

All of these checks are pretty simple, and while they aren't as accurate as what a machine shop would do if they were checking everything out, they will give you a good idea as to what kind of machine work the block needs, if any. Once you do all this, you can decide if it is financially worth it to rebuild it, or to just buy a used motor, or a known good block. The actual assembly of an engine is pretty easy, and can easily be done in one day if you know what you are doing. If your block doesn't need to be machined, then have it hot tanked and rebuild it. If you do all this and determine that it does need machine work, you aren't out much money, and that's a lot better than putting everything back together and still having a problem because of something wrong with the block. Good luck.

Mike

Crank didnt look that bad from what I can tell. Check cylinder walls...If they appear ok then I cant see why A good hot tank of all parts..A rehone and fixing that crank cant be done.

I'd also replace rings and get the heads checked out to see if there are any bent valves

yea all the upper was just rebuilt like 1 month befour this. because if you know anything about the V8 shos they have cam probs, well mine happened to spin a cam sprocket like all of them. well i fix that prob and put it back togethere and drove it about a month and it was knock like hell. owell thanks for the opinions..:D ;)

anymore welcome

Are those V8's considered interference motors?

Yes, they are. If they weren't, the cam sprocket letting go wouldn't be that much of a problem-it would just require a new cam. But since it's an interference motor, the sprocket letting go has the same effect as a timing chain letting go. Which is bad.

Back