Thread: Small tire size for 16" spare rims?

Small tire size for 16" spare rims?

The smallest tire size that I can find for a 16" rim is 195/80/16. Has anyone been able to locate a narrower tire for the Mark VIII spares?

I wasn't able to locate anything small enough to fit the 16" spares. You have a lot more choices in 15", or go to the larger 17x5 LS spare.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas A View Post
    I wasn't able to locate anything small enough to fit the 16" spares. You have a lot more choices in 15", or go to the larger 17x5 LS spare.

Thomas
    Yeah, I know, but I've got the two aluminum spares sitting here now. The tires themselves that I did find are 7 lbs lighter than stock. I'm not sure how much lighter the rims are than stock though, but it's got to be a significant difference.

I was just curious if anyone had found anything smaller than that for a 16" rim. I hear people running with 185s on the 15" rim, but the smallest I could find was the 195 for the 16" rim...

You may want to look into 16 inch motorcycle touring tires. I am sure you could find some with a weight rating high enough,

Quote Originally Posted by 392Bird View Post
    You may want to look into 16 inch motorcycle touring tires. I am sure you could find some with a weight rating high enough,
    Thanks...I'll look into that. That's why I post here...never thought of that!

Yeah, I don't know if they make a tire small enough to fit the width of the rim in a car tire. What is the rim, 3.5" wide?

Thomas

I think it's a 4" wide rim... Not 100% sure though and I don't really feel like checking right now. But I'll look into the motorcyle tire thing to see if any will work or not.

If that doesn't work Sam, trying using 3 or 4 bicycle tires mounted together. That should work for you; at least, it works for me, albeit with a somewhat stiff ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlesd View Post
    If that doesn't work Sam, trying using 3 or 4 bicycle tires mounted together. That should work for you; at least, it works for me, albeit with a somewhat stiff ride.
    Tubeless or not?

I am a sales manager for Goodyear and I can tell you you wont find any...not in a 16 inch. That said I'm curios in trying to figure out what it is your working to achieve here..is this just for a spare? NOw if you want to go lower with the 16s just drop to a 225/55/16 you can get away with them without lowering or haveing a hard over scrub...Dunlop makes a super handling awsome tread bite FM901...I happen to like the stock rims on my 89 so I opted for the 225/60/16 Eagle response edge a fairly new multi tread bite that is a directional tire but damn does that tire handle...corners on rails baby...rides like glass...down side forget about any tread wear warranty or decent milage and be prepared to rotate (NEVER CROSS ROTATE) every oil change..thats 3000 miles and to dig deep in the ole pocket book....I suggest a semi-synthetic blend as well..a normal suggested rotate is of course twice that.. I have tried the GT's, RSA's.(COP TIRES), I even tried Nittos..eh SH**os "talk about dry rot..Bleh!! not to mention they have a rep for belt seperation. Anyways back to your delema...tell me what your application is I'll help all I can....

Rick

Rats I just noticed you looking for a mark VIII spare...I suggest a full size spare rim and just match them up...
    Last edited by Sweet90SC; 12-03-2006 at 04:39 PM.

I'm shooting for drag skinnies up front. I've got the Mark VIII brakes which eliminates the use of 15" wheels. I've got two Mark VIII spares and they will help reduce the roling weight going down the track. But there aren't any drag skinnies for 16" wheels...just 15" and 17" wheels. So I want to eliminate the need to get the Lincoln LS spare wheels if I can use these wheels, even with a slightly larger tire or even motorcycle tire if one will work.