New guy with some important questions on harmonic balancer & fox mustang conversion

Cox Abele

New guy with some important questions on harmonic balancer & fox mustang conversion

I purchased a 91 supercoupe for $350. The previous owner claimed to have rebuilt the engine and transmission 12k miles ago. In doing so he reused the old harmonic balancer bolt that of course snaped off in the crankshaft. As a result, the balancer came loose and shattered the collar. The guy supplied a new balancer but not the pully that should have been left attached. I am going to use this new balancer but want to get it as closley balanced as possible. The old balancer has a few counter weight dowel pins in it and I've read in Haynes that they should be swapped.

1.) do these dowels act as the balancers weights in order to take it to 0 balance when matched with the old pully? eg. If the balancer is balanced to 0 from the manufacturer, and obviously the pully can't be weighted, do they bolt the pully to the 0 balanced HB then set the dowels in to adjust for the pullies imbalance

2.) Should they really be swapped, or won't it matter seeing as how every balancer should be balanced individually anyhow, making this extra work that would leave me no better off than if I just bolted the pully up? eg... the balance will be off weather I swap the dowels or not.

Once I get the balancer back on with a new bolt (obviously) I plan on driving the car for the winter since its completely rusted to ~~~~ on the underside. Being a 91 it has an AOD which shouldn't pose any leingth problems.

I have an 88 Mustang coupe (ex v8) that is dieing for an engine...Introduction: Project Snotch.

How difficult is this swap if I have a doaner car? I plan to swap the computer and engine harness over, but will wiring be a complete PITA? I am extremely skilled in auto-wiring so I could pretty much wire the entire car if I had to, but would hate the hell out of it.

1.) What would be necessary to get the computer in the 88? Does the computer controll much more than the engine and fuel pump relay? I've looked at a pin out and didn't see too much outside of what would attach to the engine harness.

2.)Its a fox, which has the same cradel as the 94-95 v6 mustangs. The stangs use the same block dimentinos as the super coupe. It should bolt right in with 94-95 mounts, and no other modification, correct? Probibly even able to clear the factory hood right?

3.) I'm also interested in the fuel lines. It looks like the supercoupe has an extensive length of flexible hose. Is it long enough to find its way to the factory (near the firewall) fox fuel lines or will I have to lengthen them at all?

I really can't find too much on the supercoupe engine to fox body swap. If anyone has any web pages to suggest it would be greatly appreciated!

Finally, a lil about myself, or I should say my cars. I also own a 1994 v6 5spd stang with 210k miles on it that has never missed a beat. With great care its still able to crank out 34mpg on the highway, ~22mpg city beatings. I also own a 1989 Mustang GT that got a little too out of hand...custom twin turbo kit, gt40P heads, C4 trans. Its been run a few times but has been a work in progress for ~3 years now.

searched a little bit. Looks like the swap questions have all been answered in the past...shouldn't be too tough.

Anyone have info on the balancer?

searched a little bit. Looks like the swap questions have all been answered in the past...shouldn't be too tough.

Anyone have info on the balancer?

Cox,

Don't transfer the pins to the new dampener....they were only used for final balancing of the motor at the factory. After rebuilding the motor your better off with a zero balance unit. Ditch the stock crank pulley and get a set of ASP or March underdrives which will include a zero balance crank pulley. If you really want to use the stock crank pulley have it balanced seperate from the dampner.

David

PS: The balancer broke the bolt......not the other way around.

If you really want to use the stock crank pulley have it balanced seperate from the dampner.
I do not agree, the damper and pulley should be nuetral balanced as a unit. The only time the pulley is to be balanced alone is if an aftermarket nuetral balanced damper is to be used with it.

Paul

Back