Buying new car mabye...need help

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
Man, I wish I had a $20k budget when looking at cars. I was originally looking at cars around $10k, but then realized I would have to get a cosigner, and my folks wouldnt do it cuz they didnt want me to get rid of the Saturn. That is when my mustang dreams went away. My ideal car to purchase was going to be an '01-'04 Mustang GT manual.....At that point, I wouldnt mind taking a mach 1...but thats even higher than just the v8 mustang...so I was looking around, and was ready to give up, when an SVT contour came rolling around to Jim Keim. Shane said i should give it a shot, saying its a good car for what I was interested in, and especially with my budget. You can get the CSVT for like, $5k, if not even a little less. I absolutely LOVE how this car handles as compared to my other one, and it is still practical and gets fairly decent milage. The only downside, is that it still only take the 93 octane, just like the SC would, but I filled it up just the other day, and it cost about $32, as opposed to the $45 it would take to fill up the SC. Even a '97 cobra could be fun...sporty, and can be had for a little under $10k (or so)...but I guess it is all about how old you are really wanting to go....and I mean, like a few guys have already said, sports car, good gas milage, and practicality, dont really all add up too well. But hey, what can ya do? I just say, get a cheaper, nice car that you like and can enjoy for the next few years, then eventually go for the more expensive cars. For all you know, one of the new GT500's might be in your price range, and i'm sure you'd love to have one of them!

Lyndsay

That car is priced way outa his leage.

Shane

yes, i do know that it is NOW...but in a few years, I'm sure the resale value is lowered (probably not by much), but also, his budget that he is able to work with, could be higher....doubt that high, yes...but ya never know...he can have dreams, you have plenty yourself:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Pablo, the Cavalier is hibernating now. The SC has hit the road again in the last week.

The GTP WAS avaiable with a manual trans in the previous generation, but you don't want one. It was before the supercharged 3.8 was in the Grand Prix. So you had the old POS 3.4L engine, but a really decent manual trans, Getrag design I think. This was 1994 - 1996 I think.

I know a guy who had one. Those engines were a HUGE warranty problem for GM, the trans was great, but my friend somehow cracked the case on his (hit a rock or something) and lost the fluid and burned up bearings. Then he learned there were NO service parts available for the trans.

So, yes they exist, but you don't want one.

But the NEWER (2005+) GTPs and I think GXP Grand Prix do have paddle shifters on the steering wheel avaiable...

Shane, do you know if mitch still has that GS-T available? Just wondering. How are those cars with regards to reliability?

Back