Thermostat housing gasket???

sc steve

Ok folks, I changed my t-stat about 3K miles ago. Over the weekend I blew that gasket. Yesterday I was changing it out and noticed quite a big gap between the hole for the pressure relief and the outside edge of the neck. So anywho, I put in the new gasket and it was leaking.... again. I am not sure if I was using the right gasket or not (looked to be ok, except for the hole on the housing for the pressure relief was a bit smaller than the one on the gasket, which is where the leak is). When I went to NAPA they gave me the wrong gasket initially and ended up bringing it up to the shop where they gave me the right one. Anyone know if there is another gasket shaped like ours out there for any other car? If so, then I think I have the wrong gasket. If not, then I think the neck may be warped..... any feedback would be cool.

thanks guys
-Steve

Steve,

Same thing happened to me. Turned out the auto parts store gave me a gasket for a NA 3.8 not the Supercharged version which is slightly different. Mine leaked until installing the correct gasket and a healthy dose of Permatex water pump/thermostat housing sealer.

David

Thermostat gasket

This is one of those little thing that gets lost along the way. Back at the dawn of the SCCOA this was a FAQ. Through trial and error it became clear that Ford only gaskets were to be used for this very reason. Old becomes new again. :(

Paul

same thing with me...i got 3 gaskets from napa and they were all the same.....wrong. I ended up getting one for a Buick...that looked the same but fit better. The guy grabbed that for me in the back. I had that on there for about 2 weeks and it started leaking a little, so i got some gasket material, and made my own gasket...and it hasn't leaked since. I suggest you just make your own.

Back