A New Cylinder Head for the SC.

XR7 Dave

I want to thank everyone for your participation in our previous poll and discussion regarding a new cylinder head for the SC. We have nailed down some specific details regarding this proposed new product and are ready to share some of the info with you.

For the most part the discussion of what to do, how to approach the project, what to expect, and what will sell the best, etc. is over. As I stated before the design details are best left to the pro's and our job was complete when we let them know what we thought we were looking for. Now it remains for us to drum up the support necessary to make it a reality.

If something we present doesn't sit well with someone please feel free to speak and we will explain the whys and wherefores here in this thread. I expect this thread to carry us into production so lets keep our thoughts and comments focused on the fact that this thread is going down in history. :D

So. Here it is.

In the beginning some of us where a little - ok a lot - optimistic about what to expect from the new ports "out of the box." After a detailed look at the stock head as well as a fully ported version, the designers are convinced that an out of the box intake port flow number would be responsibly targeted at about 240cfm. Before anyone gets a long face about that, a quick look at the AFR 165cc Street SBF head shows 245cfm and the AFR 180cc Street SBC head flows 260cfm out of the box. To shoot for 240cfm out of the box puts us within reach of some of the best street small block cylinder heads on the market.

It was brought clearly to my attention that there are several things that we need to consider when looking at flow numbers for our heads.

1) Because we have an injector port in the head directly above the intake port, it follows that port height is limited by the need to have gasket material between the injector and the port. This limits as-cast potential.

2) Our heads are on top of a small 3.811 bore. Big flow numbers need room to work and big valves to go with them. The AFR heads refered to above all run with 2.02 valves. We can run that big of a valve but it will create shrouding problems at higher flow rates. Out of the box our heads will run smaller valves.

3) Runner volume. It is comparatively easy to get a large flow number from a large port but the problem begins when you consider that these heads will also be targeted as part of the marketing mix, at NA 3.8L engines. A large port volume would make the head useless on a normal NA 3.8.

So for these reasons it was suggested to me that we stay on the conservative side with port volume and concentrate on an efficient port that maintains better velocity.

So what is involved in an efficient port? This is where it gets good. There are so many revisions to our existing design it's almost too much to put into words so I'll start with the basics.

1) Valve angles and alignment will be retained. There is no real need to relocate any valves or change the angles. This is good when considering the number of stout shortblocks already out there not to mention those contemplating new heads for a stock pistoned motor.

2) By altering piston to valve clearance slightly and increasing deck thickness it will be possible to increase the stock short turn raduis by nearly an inch. This is a critical aspect of flow efficiency on the head. By raising the port floor we can achieve a turning of the air before it hits the cylinder. As it is now the air/fuel is simply slammed into the cylinder wall opposite the injector. By raising the the floor and initiating a turn prior to hitting the back of the valve, the mixture in the cylinder will be much more homogenous and will burn faster with less tendancy to detonate. This is one of the greatest benefits of this port design and it doesn't show up in raw flow numbers.

3) Port configuration. We have all agreed that from a marketing perspective it would be simply be asking too much to move the center port to a symetrical location. For most applications a proper redesign of that port will be sufficient. By moving the pushrod over and straightening the port we will be able to achieve a close balance between all ports. It is conceiveable that at some point through extensive porting someone will come to a point that the center port will not keep up any longer. We have kept this in mind and we have asked for (and received) the option to have the center port made symtrical with the end ports. It is something that will be designed into the molds making the change a simple matter of ordering a production run of symetrical port heads.

4) It was not felt that there is any particular need to dramatically depart from the basic exhaust port design that we already have. The welded radius exhaust ports currently in use already reflect modern exhaust port design technology and will be incorporated into these heads. No significant changes are planned and the port should flow 200cfm as cast giving us an 83% IE ratio out of the box. Stock exhaust hardware will most definitely fit.

5) Expect smaller combustion chambers. A more efficient layout with dual quench pads and a relocated spark plug are the biggest differences. Expect to raise compression by about a point over what you would have had otherwise. We feel that with a more efficient combustion chamber and better flow that higher compression will not result in any increased octane sensitivity. Driveability, fuel mileage, and throttle response should be expected to be noticably improved.

6) Valvetrain will be completely different. The valves will be longer and larger (1.94 intake and 1.60 exhaust as cast), and the rocker arm geometry we now use will not be carried over. The rockers will be stud mounted and the base for them to attach to will be a solid bar accross the entire head. It will be made in such a way to allow for a custom shaft system like T&D to be made for extreme rpm and solid roller cam applications. The heads will accept readily available hardware for cost effectiveness and servicability.

7) Most likely due to increased deck height, overall stock intake manifold height will be raised some - target is less than 1/2" raise. Of course while it will accept a stock intake, these heads are intended for an aftermarket intake and in most cases an aftermarket hood for clearance. However that will not be required for those simply using a stock intake and an M90 for that stock look.

These heads will be truely bolt on although their dimensions may differ slightly from stock and may require some slight accomodations (such as increased intake manifold height). They are made from 356 aluminum and will be heat treated to maximum hardness making them MUCH stiffer overall than the stock head.

So that's what is on the table. This is what we have been offered by the designer/manufacturer and I feel it truely represents what we have been waiting for. It will allow us to bolt on the head as is, it will allow us to develop the port for maximum flow, and it will allow us to develop other parts to compliment the heads without worrying about over-running them. The designer assured us that with this head we WILL be finding the next weakest link.

What thinks you??

David

how much and when will they be done?? will we have the option of purchasing a manifold that is already modified to fit?

As far as pricing goes, we are aiming to keep it lower than expected, but it is really too early to jump to a conclusion on pricing. He has a couple of projects in front of him, so depending on everything that goes well, we could possibly see some head castings third or fourth quarter of next year.

The stock intake will be usable and a better intake manifold is planned to become part of a package. Considering the stock intake is currently the weakest link.

Sound good to me (actually perfect), now just cost?

What is the current Stock CFM of the heads?

Sound good to me (actually perfect), now just cost?

What is the current Stock CFM of the heads?

I believe they are something like this:

Intake-1.78 intake valve
.025-13.7
.050-27.1
.100-51.6
.200-81.5
.300-110.6
.400-144.3
.500-169.9
.600-181.0
.650-183.1

Exhaust-1.46 exhaust valve
.025-10.1
.050-20.3
.100-40.1
.200-71.4
.300-95.3
.400-113.4
.500-122.5
.600-127.3
.650-129.3

Flow numbers vary a lot. I've seen numbers all over the map for stock heads and ported heads vary even more. Here is what I have compiled over time on my bench. This isn't to suggest that my bench is the last word, but it helps to use the same bench for comparison purposes.

I'll state flow at .500" lift only because that is the best indicator of what is really happening.

Intake:

Stock ---------- 170cfm
Normal ported -- 195cfm
Steig ---------- 232cfm

Exhaust:

Stock --------- 120cfm
Normal ported - 155cfm
Steig --------- 205cfm

Obviously results vary but you can now see where we are coming from with our 240/200 target #'s. We will beat the best ported heads out there straight out of the box and then with additional porting the possibilities are much greater.

Sounds good to me Dave.>Exactly what I'd want..And would expect a majority of 3.8 owners to want as well making them very marketable

Interesting to say the least but I am very concerned over the lower intake manifold. :eek:

The lower intake is not a big concern. The investment of time and money into a new head casting is many times what it takes to do an intake manifold. Once the heads are a reality there will likely come into being more than one manifold option. An intake manifold alternative will be available before the heads will be. Because these heads are going to be direct bolt in, it follows that there is no need to wait for the heads to begin design and production of an intake. It's already in the works.

:)

5) Expect smaller combustion chambers. A more efficient layout with dual quench pads and a relocated spark plug are the biggest differences. Expect to raise compression by about a point over what you would have had otherwise. We feel that with a more efficient combustion chamber and better flow that higher compression will not result in any increased octane sensitivity. Driveability, fuel mileage, and throttle response should be expected to be noticably improved.

6) Valvetrain will be completely different. The valves will be longer and larger (1.94 intake and 1.60 exhaust as cast), and the rocker arm geometry we now use will not be carried over. The rockers will be stud mounted and the base for them to attach to will be a solid bar accross the entire head. It will be made in such a way to allow for a custom shaft system like T&D to be made for extreme rpm and solid roller cam applications. The heads will accept readily available hardware for cost effectiveness and servicability

Dave,

Can you please post some pictures showing what the revised combustion chamber and valvetrain is going to look like. I'm a little confused about dual quench pads and the solid bar across the entire head. How do you do a solid bar with canted valves...I'm thinking shaft mounted rockers, but maybe your talking about something else.

Pics of similar design v8 aftermarket heads would make it much easier to understand.

David

Dave,

Can you please post some pictures showing what the revised combustion chamber and valvetrain is going to look like. I'm a little confused about dual quench pads and the solid bar across the entire head. How do you do a solid bar with canted valves...I'm thinking shaft mounted rockers, but maybe your talking about something else.

Pics of similar design v8 aftermarket heads would make it much easier to understand.

David

Here is the TA Performance Buick V6 head.
TA%203850SE.jpg

The structure on which the rocker attaches is a solid cast area machined flat to accept rocker studs. Since this surface is CNC machined it is a minor detail to incorporate the angles necessary to match the valve angles. The base would be flat and just the surface would be treated to the minor angles necessary to match the valves. Guide plates would be built in and are not shown on the example heads.

For a shaft rocker setup the surface is milled flat and then the rocker shaft setup has the angles built into it. Here is an example.
page10.gif

And this is a dual quench pad.

0606phr_15_z+pontiac_engine+combustion_chamber.jpg

So far everything looks good Dave....Do you have any idea how long the design to production process will take? I understand that it will be awhile before any of this gets going...just curious.

Last edited:
So...I am guessing that this is just a bit different than I had read before? I thought this was going to be a top end package. Are you saying that these will be a bare head, a head loaded with valves and springs, or a "ready to bolt on" head with ALL of the rockers and correct valve geometry equipment?

(This is not a complaint. I am just wondering when/how to plan my next year.)

Chris

Chris from what I get is they will be offering a fully put together head with a certain size valve. There will be options for larger valves and to run shaft type rockers.

Dave,

Can we bore our blocks out enough to utilize a 2.02 valve without shrouding?

The stud mounted rocker system is widely available through dealers such as Jeg's and Summit. If desired, we can supply them in some type of complete "top-end bolt-on" package.The heads will be available assembled or bare.

The largest safe overbore is about .040" and that really isn't enough to cure shrouding of the valve within the cylinder, but of course it would help.

It will take around 3-5 months, once it is started, to complete depending on how everything works out.

The heads will be available as bare castings or complete assemblies much like any other head is offered by anyone else. There will also be a fully CNC ported version available for those who want that. However, it would be quite pre-mature to quote ultimate flow #'s considering that the heads haven't even been made yet.

Damon, the seats will accept a 2.02 valve. Whether or not it will perform effectively in our cylinders is something that would have to be tested on a finished product. There is a point in time during the development perhaps when we will know how it will work but that point will come after the committment to the project has already been made. We just can't make a definitive statement on that matter right now.

Back