Is Ford showing too much bias

Is Ford giving too much attention to the Mustang and not enough to its other cars?

• Too much to attention Mustang not enough for other cars

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • Adequate amount of attention to both

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Not enough attention to Mustang too much towards other cars

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
I strongly disagree;

AWD is a fantastic benefit to have, and a RWD based AWD system similar to Nissan's ATTESSA system.

Like RWD with optional AWD.

That would be super.
Or at least make AWD an OPTION for just about everything. I can certainly tell you they'd sell more windstars in the midwest with AWD as an option.

I'm probably going to buy a Suzuki SX4 as my next vehicle because it's the cheapest new car I can buy with a 5-spd and AWD at just 15k, and that's with a 10 year powertrain warranty.

While AWD is not always necessary, it is FANTASTIC to have should you ever actually need it...

Having driven cross-country during February of 2004 in a RWD car through the Rocky mountains and through a snow-covered midwest, without the benefit of snowchains, I can say that RWD is VERY difficult to manage, BUT FWD can be just as difficult-- I used my 280ZX and a towcable to help pull a Sunfire out of a snowbank because it couldn't pull itself out.

-Ghost

thats what i said. awd is great in the dirt and crap. dont need it on pavement. i cant have awd cause i love brakestands! :D

I too am going to be replacing my work car soon. Its a Suzuki. Ok I know. But its been a great car. After a lot of thought I have decided to try an American car again. I want a bare bones 4 banger good gas mileage and it has to be dependable. Price is important too. I am really a penny pincher when it come to a daily driver. What does Ford have that wont make me want to throw up?

The Ka.

What I would do if I was you, is find a supercheap Fiesta / Festiva, or an Aspire.
That's super-mega-economical. With a 5-speed Fiesta, you can pull close to 50mpg out of that teency 1.0 liter 4.

The Focus is a good car, but you know what? The only good one was made in 2004, and CA only-- the 2.3L 5-speed PZEV package, and the last of the good-looking US focuses. The PROBLEM, however, is the lack of a tachometer. ~~~, no fricken tach in a 5-speed car, and the shiftup light doesn't come on till you're practically bouncing off the rev limiter?
While I can override this and can bring up the digital tach through the odometer, I don't want to have to sit there and do the ford service digital odo override code EVERY TIME i want to go somewhere. For an extra $1.00 per car they could've included the tach on a stickshift car. Why does my Windstar need a tach when it's automatic, and my Focus doesn't have one when it's a 5-spd??
Ford currently doesn't make anything as economical as the Fiesta anymore, or as competitive as the Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris. Unfortunately it isn't there.
Ford doesn't have what you want, at this time.

Suzuki's got what I want in my price range.
http://www.suzukiauto.com/

When Ford can give me a Focus ST or a Fiesta RS, I'll buy a new ford.

-Ghost

Last edited:
thats what i said. awd is great in the dirt and crap. dont need it on pavement. i cant have awd cause i love brakestands! :D

I don't know what you are even trying to say. Get your facts together and ONLY when they are then you can post.

AWD on pavement is far superior to rwd or fwd when it comes to going around corners. When you figure out that traction around corners, and OEM under steer are 2 different things then maybe we can have an adult conversation, until then I'm glad you're not out there increasing our insurance premiums driving an awd car.

I don't know what you are even trying to say. Get your facts together and ONLY when they are then you can post.

AWD on pavement is far superior to rwd or fwd when it comes to going around corners. When you figure out that traction around corners, and OEM under steer are 2 different things then maybe we can have an adult conversation, until then I'm glad you're not out there increasing our insurance premiums driving an awd car.

Unfortunately, carlislewhatshisface is right-- most AWD cars have understeer dialed in DELIBERATELY, for 'safety'.

While I do enjoy gloating to my WRX-driving buddy that I can do a burnout and he can't, I know that given how much drastically lighter than me he is and with AWD grip, mechanically, his car is far superior to mine. I would gladly have AWD over just RWD or FWD.

-Ghost

Unfortunately, carlislewhatshisface is right-- most AWD cars have understeer dialed in DELIBERATELY, for 'safety'.

While I do enjoy gloating to my WRX-driving buddy that I can do a burnout and he can't, I know that given how much drastically lighter than me he is and with AWD grip, mechanically, his car is far superior to mine. I would gladly have AWD over just RWD or FWD.

-Ghost

Ahem, LAND OWNER, I own land in carlisle. Ok, you probably haven't heard the story or seen my movie. Its ok.:)

Pretty much all cars have understeer dialed in deliberately from the factory for safety reasons, regardless of drivetrain configuration. It's not just an AWD thing.

i have no idea what you're talking about.

There's a cargo company called carlisle something or other and marie callendar's here has a cargobox trailer that says that behind the restaurant. Anyways, at least I didn't insult you or do anything else terribly vulgar. :p

Unfortunately almost everything has understeer dialed in from the factory-- just less with some cars than others... the supercoupe in particular had amazingly controllable, neutral handling. It is my belief, however, that the average joe would not be able to control the car, as wild as it was, despite the neutral handling.. it was not very forgiving.

Interestingly enough, the windstar does not exhibit understeer-- I think the elongated rear and weight behind the front wheels gives it a little bit of an oversteer characteristic.

I test drove a Suzuki SX4 today, and was quite impressed by the little car. The interior quality was good and it wasn't crummy, like Suzukis past. Now, if only Ford could turn around its act like Suzuki's trying to. The only complaint I had with an otherwise outstanding vehicle was that the engine itself was noisy at idle-- only from directly under the hood, it sounded a little tappety, otherwise it was dead quiet. With the Focus we had or my tbird, our windstar or mustang, they all idle quite loudly and exhibit a loud sucking noise, almost vacuum-esque.

Anyways, as opposed to the 2007 Focus ZX3 hatch I drove, which cost $3,000 more, by the way, the Suzuki is better equipped, safer, roomier, seated better and drove better. If I was to buy today I can already tell you where my money'd be going.

Though I haven't driven a 05+ Mustang 5-spd Pony Pkg yet, or even a 5-spd 05+, I am betting it won't drive half as well.

-Ghost

wow ur a jerk. but i drove front wheel, all wheel, and rear wheel drive. i loved my rear wheel drive the best. so i do not care what u think. stop acting like my sister.

OK. So what if ford didnt put as much work into the mustang as they did? Does anyone realize how well those things sold. The new mustang was a test. They wanted to try doing things differently to improve overall quality and reduce the production costs. They nailed a bullseye. Now not only is the mustang making ford some nice cash but its redesign has tought them a thing or two that will now trickle down to other ford products. GIVE IT TIME!
They can't do a major redesign of every car and truck all at once. "Good things come to those who wait"

Last edited:
I witnessed the making of the movie

Do you know of anyone that has pictures of video of the event other then D?

i have no idea what you're talking about.

There's a cargo company called carlisle something or other and marie callendar's here has a cargobox trailer that says that behind the restaurant. Anyways, at least I didn't insult you or do anything else terribly vulgar. :p
-Ghost

I had my car rotating on Axis in the field behind the Hotel Carlisle. D video taped it, while about 50+ people cheered it on. In the end I recieved a ticket for tresspassing, and paid to fix the grass. Hence the name Carlisle Land Owner ... I own land in Carlisle! :D

the only thing ford has going for them is there stang and truck. every thing else is a piece of chevy. if i wanted a 4 banger, i'd buy Japanese. end of story:eek:

Here is thae way I see it. Look at the economy, where would you like to buy from??? North America or Japan??

I wouldn't buy a GM because thier reliability is terrible. They do not have any products that are true quality anymore. Even thier 5 ton trucks (T8500) are junk with the small Japaneese motor in them. The old Cat powered ones were 100% better. Sinking ship

Chrysler is a different story, if they had staled as Daimler Chrysler and not launched the gas guzzeling products when gas was $140/ barrel thier possition would have been different.

Now on to Ford. Yes much of the line up is not appealing to many people at the moment but they are doing something right. They seem to be a hell of allot more reliable and they are allot cheaper than an import to fix. I drive a diesel 7.3 F350 and every day it starts it drives and always ready for whatever is throwen at it. (except it hates the -35c temp). Now the SC was not the most reliable car in the world but it sure did appeal to all of us. Now Ford should take input from its customers on what they want to see in the future. Bring back the Tbird and offer a range of packages. The Turbo Coupe was a hit when it was launched, the same with the SC so why can't the next one be a sucess??

I think these hybrids are not going to stick, wait and see what the repair bills on those are going to be, let alone the resale value. Or how about GMs Impala the V8 that can run on 4 cyl, ok lets see how the engine wear on that goes.

The Mustang has been around for along time and will continue. Mabye allitle too much attention, but it has never steered them wrong.

This is a quote off SCCOWC from John who posts as Vtgecgrs and it hits the nail on the head in my opinion " You do realize that Ford did not get any of the bailout money right. They did not need the money as they had enough capital to run until the end of 2009. Ford also have alot of new products coming out that are pretty good.

I have an employee that has an 07 toyota camry and it need an alternator with only 61k on the car and toyota wants 900.00 to do the repair. Ford and GM would be less than 1/3. If we do not support north american products we will end up losing in the end. Even Toyota's quality has been droping too. I did not like the bailout either I would actually like to see GM and Chrysler go down as it will give Ford a chance as they are the strongest of the three by a long shot and they may become more viable as a result. The problem is if GM or chrysler go down they will drag down all tjhe other companies too as suppliers that provide parts for all of them will likley go bankrupt too and that will make it difficult for all the manufacturers from being able to produce cars in north america which means even more job losses. the residual effect on the economy is likely worse than the bailout. I just wish there were better controls on where the money was spent.

All car manufactuer's are hurting right now even the foreign ones. Toyota and Honda are even offering 0% which is unheard of for them. The fact they are private owned means we will never know how bad they are doing financially and they would never tell us if they were in dire straights as that would hurt them even more. Ford was stupid to try and get money for free with GM and chrysler. "

IMGP1191.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Here is thae way I see it. Look at the economy, where would you like to buy from??? North America or Japan??

I wouldn't buy a GM because thier reliability is terrible. They do not have any products that are true quality anymore. Even thier 5 ton trucks (T8500) are junk with the small Japaneese motor in them. The old Cat powered ones were 100% better. Sinking ship

Chrysler is a different story, if they had staled as Daimler Chrysler and not launched the gas guzzeling products when gas was $140/ barrel thier possition would have been different.

IMGP1191.jpg

Greg

I'd still rather buy American than Japanese-- I'm still a Ford loyalist, and I am drooling over the new SHO...

Here's what's wrong with Chrysler -- Not enough products people want to buy, complete dependence on rental fleets to sell cars.
When was the last time that someone you know bought a NEW Sebring by CHOICE? Sure, they still have the Caravan-- but hardly any of those sell. And what about that awful Dodge Caliber and Dodge Nitro? Sure, you can get one used in SRT4 trim for less than 10k, but the primary problem is that 90% of Chrysler's crap is UGLY, hateful to drive and expensive.

The other problem is that Chrysler basically has no plan to get out of this besides keep asking for money.
Before the end of the year, sad as it is, I am betting there will not be a Chrysler as we know it. The Jeep brand will be saved, and likely Dodge, but Chrysler will not be mourned.

Join me on jalopnik.com as we follow Chrysler's death. They stopped production back in December with no promise to resume and still haven't.
They're storing unsold cars on their test tracks. You can even get Employee Pricing ++ on a 6MT Challenger (see the jalopnik article!).
I also speculate that someone will buy out the VIPER as a brand... But what do I know?

Back