Porting my blower

I didnt get ripped off...It just LOOKS bad. In actuality, I stuck it on there and that bioch made 44lbs of boost a 2k:rolleyes:

If I were that guy, I would have driven the 9 hours one way and shoved it sideways up somebodys chocolate starfish...

Chris

i've already ordered a mpx and the 25% od kit for my '94sc. once i get the mpx i'm gonna stick my coated rotors out of the '94 blower in the mpx and then i'm gonna port the '94 case then stick that in my '89sc with the rotors out of the '89 blower, i'm also gonna switch over the mp inlet, 75mm tb,76mm maf and 36lb injectors onto the '89 since i'm upgrading the '94 to a 85mm tb, 80mm maf, 60lb injectors, ported and polished heads and a cam and chip from dave dalke, kinda getting upgrades on both cars just by buying upgrades for one....lol:D

Sounds like you've got a sweet fleet there. I have half the parts you mentioned to put on my '90, but can't find the time to do the work. (Or sleep more than 6-1/2 hours, for that matter.)

Sounds like you've got a sweet fleet there. I have half the parts you mentioned to put on my '90, but can't find the time to do the work. (Or sleep more than 6-1/2 hours, for that matter.)

thanks, but the cool part is that i still have my daily driver '94sc for everyday use that i think is a freak because it runs its a$$ off for just having a cai,'89 sc pulley,true dual exhaust and 3.73 gears:D :D

heres what i intend to cut out with the dremel

Attachments

• Picture 021 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 021 (Medium).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 257
so would welding them up do any harm?

Also still looking for pics of ported blowers.

Jamie, working on the outlet side of a stock old style blower is going to be largely irrelevant. The stock inlet port and crap old style inlet plenum can't flow enough air to use the existing outlet. Opening it up a bit won't hurt, welding the ports will just make it a bit louder (my ESM Dominion III has them welded closed).

Seriously, I'd spend my time welding and porting on the inlet side. If you're still going to use the stock inlet plenum, weld up the top side of the inlet plenum so it's about 1/2" taller. Then grind the opening up so there's more area for flow in the center (like between the bearings) and across the width of the stock opening. DO NOT make the opening any wider than stock unless you plan on overdriving the bajeezus out of it. Then, use some prussian blue dye on the flanges and transfer the size of the new opening to the case. Port the case to match (may need to weld it up some too). The key to getting more flow out of the older blowers is getting the inlet opening up higher in the case. I've lost all the pics of all the blowers I've had over the years, but the 94-95 cases had the opening up higher in the case and more rectangular. That was half of the performance increase from them vs the 89-93s. The other half was the coated rotors.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/blowerbuild.php

About 3/4 of the way down the page linked above, you'll see a pic of a 89-93 case and a 94-95 case. It's a crappy pic, but note the distance between the opening and the bearing caps on the 94-95 case and the 89-93 piece.

Steve

sme random port pics

Attachments

• 9495%20top%20outlet.JPG
    9495%20top%20outlet.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 200
  • HPIM0265.JPG
    HPIM0265.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 186
  • HPIM0266.JPG
    HPIM0266.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 207
  • proposed_change.JPG
    proposed_change.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
  • MP3Rear_sm.gif
    MP3Rear_sm.gif
    5 KB · Views: 164
i make these ones some for early some for newer the s port style is a 89-93

Attachments

• vvvvv.jpg
    vvvvv.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 261
  • wwww.JPG
    wwww.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 240
  • ccccccccccccccccc.jpg
    ccccccccccccccccc.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 161
  • xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Ed,

As for the silencer ports, they do exactly what the name implies. They probably do bleed a little boost off, but I doubt that it's that much. Besides, they should help the blower to spin up more easily at the same time. I will leave them alone on my blower, but it depends on your priorities.

I can't see how there would be any benifit to welding up the silencer ports. The only place the boost could "bleed off" to is in to the engine, which is where we want the boost. The air is let out through the silencer ports before it is let out the large 'V' port. The way it silences the blower, is by bleeding off boost slowly and avoiding the pulse caused by all the air exiting the blower at the same time. The benifit of the silencer port will be mostly dependant on time, and thus the pulsating will get louder the faster you spin the blower. The only change you will see if you weld up the port will be less power and more low rpm noise.

Of course, I could be wrong. Until someone comes along with dyno sheets from before and after welding up the silencer ports, I am going to leave them alone.

Jason

well the MPX doesn't even have them so I assume it should be fine.

Manny how did that triangular porting workout? Did you ever test it? What about the one where the oval opening is opened up more and squared off at the top? That looks decent, but how good does it work?

ive tried all kinds of ports the squared off is the best on the street my D port was good gave more low end boost but the squared one puts it to shame.

the smily faced ones are top enders need 20% or more overdrive to be effective, not a good street blower bearings are pushed to the max and beyond rpm wise. + rotors are really turning some major rpms

no I dont its with its owner now
but weld in fill the grey area in pictures after yopuve filled it in cut were the red lines are then sand file and finish .

ill do one soon and do step by step pictures .

Attachments

• proposed_change.JPG
    proposed_change.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 135
You just cant cut them off.

WHy not?..Mine are on my DIII

As for teh silencer ports we had closed this discussion a few year sback..They were there merely to reduce sound...And it is not a bad thing to close them up however you dont want to warp your case

Back