The 'other' M112

Feld

Ken sent me a few pics of my blower installed on his car - his engine bay is quite a bit cleaner so it will look a bit different once it's installed in mine.

The installed pics are when the blower was still painted silver, but it's now black while all of the tubing is still silver.

It should be ready sometime before spring, I still need to gather up a few parts.

Attachments

• M112 install.jpg
    M112 install.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 132
  • M112 installed 3.jpg
    M112 installed 3.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Blakes.jpg
    Blakes.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 132
wOW.....really nice! Refresh my memory, is that a stock lower intake? Any pix of the rear of the plenum? Im interested to see how the plennum was fabbed up.

Also, that looks like a stock (or stock-ish) SC top...is it?

The lower intake is just slightly modded IIRC.

The top is a stocker that was stretched out to fit over the larger outlet of the M112.

The plenum is bascially a heavily modified stocker, made a whole lot larger, as you can see in the pics.

Glad you like it! She should rip pretty well after all is said and done.

Attachments

• M112 rear 1.jpg
    M112 rear 1.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 102
  • M112 top.jpg
    M112 top.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Painted Plenum.jpg
    Painted Plenum.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 99
Actually the top is an all new fabrication only the the neck and nut came from the stock top so the original top IC tube can bolt right up to it. Blake wanted it to fit under a stock hood so he can surprise the the other guy in to thinking he's stock.

Ken

Wow!!! :eek: That setup looks fantastic. Excellent job fabbing things up and getting it to look so slick. I want one!!!

Looks good Blake! Can't wait to see results from you or Ken.

yeah i want one too can we keep it a nebraska thing? j/k

If we keep it as a Nebraska thing, you gotta get in line - there's still a few SC's ahead of you :p

-Melon

Looks great Blake. Do you think the black paint will retain heat more so than silver? Or is that a fallacy?

ok i'll jump in the line no problem as long as u want to give it to me.....i still have a completely stock sc and i need to go and do some other mods before i put a new blower on my car but it was the thought that counts:rolleyes:

cody

I don't think it will absorb enough heat to matter, but I guess we will find out after I get some road time. I'll keep you posted on how fast the heat builds up.

Never really considered black as a heat factor. A lot of the blowers I have seen on mustangs were black. And the AR on David Neiberts is black, in fact I liked it so much I went black on mine. I am still thinking of some red spark plug wires like his on mine to see if it helps me break into the 10s:eek: Just kidding:rolleyes:

Ken

Interestingly enough I have never done enough data testing on how various coatings can affect heat transfer however I can tell you that 99% of the population does not have any idea how to use an infrared thermometer leading to a crudload of false information and data out there on this topic. I can tell you however that the color and material of the substance being tested has everything to do with how accurate the reading is when using IR technology. Of course that is just one of many ways to measure "temperature" (you really arnt measuring temperature just infrared radiation)

For those that do chose to use IR devices such as these make sure to be close to the area tested and use a peice of black 3M electrical tape over that same area being tested. Thsi will give you as accurate a reading possable using handheld devices (or any IR device for that matter)

A lil off topic but figured it be semi resourceful because I sene it mentioned before.

I guess I am talking more about how the color of the SC might affect its ability to reflect engine bay heat and therefore add to the SC's heat output. I believe that dark colors attract and retain heat more so than light colors. Are dark clothes hotter than whites when coming out of the dryer? Remember mom always saying to wear light colored clothing on hot days? But maybe metal is different, kinda like how it is unaffected by windchill....windchill is a human factor. Sorry to derail the thread. Again, nice blower Blake.

Interestingly enough I have never done enough data testing on how various coatings can affect heat transfer however I can tell you that 99% of the population does not have any idea how to use an infrared thermometer leading to a crudload of false information and data out there on this topic. I can tell you however that the color and material of the substance being tested has everything to do with how accurate the reading is when using IR technology. Of course that is just one of many ways to measure "temperature" (you really arnt measuring temperature just infrared radiation)

For those that do chose to use IR devices such as these make sure to be close to the area tested and use a peice of black 3M electrical tape over that same area being tested. Thsi will give you as accurate a reading possable using handheld devices (or any IR device for that matter)

A lil off topic but figured it be semi resourceful because I sene it mentioned before.

Not that I want to take this thread off topic, but wouldn't 3M electrical tape give you some insulating factor. I agree that the emissivity of the tape is close to what you want, but wouldn't it be better to have the surface of the objects in question painted with an emissivity lacquer. Thinking about this as I typed the rest of the message, I suspect any insulating factors of the tape would be overcome by greater accuracty of the IR temperature device due to the emissivity of the tape being closer to the desired value. Regardless, I agree that most people are not aware of the effect of emissivity. I found an interesting link that shows the vast differences in emissivity of different materials if anyone cares to look at it. http://www.omega.com/literature/transactions/volume1/emissivityb.html]

edit: I found another link that seems to have some better information. It actually lists emissivity for Krylon paint :) http://www.infrared-thermography.com/material-1.htm]

Last edited:
Back