Got some work done tonight on my project (pics inside)

quick35th

Tonight I tackled getting my block clean of rust and then applied four coats of Ford Engine Blue paint to the block. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have the engine fully assembled and in the car with drivetrain installed as well.

Pics before it was wire-wheeled down all the way:

IMGP0310.jpg

IMGP0311.jpg

IMGP0312.jpg

IMGP0315.jpg

IMGP0316.jpg

IMGP0319.jpg

Pics after the four coats of paint were applied to the block:

IMGP0325.jpg

IMGP0326.jpg

IMGP0327.jpg

Shane

PS: David Neibert, does this engine look like a junkyard engine anymore :D

I personally like the look of a little bit of overspray here and there.

Why the bright blue?

everything that isn't painted blue on that motor is being replaced with new chrome/some black parts..it will look utterly beautiful when its done.

is it your stock engine? or a junkyard block? cuz thats alot of rust dude...

Motor came out of a fully running wrecked '92 Sport Tbird with 50k miles on the clock. Engine is stock for now but I have just over $2k worth of parts for it sitting in my living room :eek: :D

As Sean said once its done its going to look beautiful.

Shane

Shane,

Yes, it still looks like a junkyard engine.

David

What about once all this stuff is throw on it :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

IMGP0343.jpg

IMGP0344.jpg

The only thing not pictured is the second TFS Twisted Wedge head, new timing cover, Luniti cam, solid lifters, pushrods, the motor and the 747 :D

Shane

Dude..They are going to hot tank that SOB no?..If your bored you can come on over to NY I have plenty of stuff ya can do :O)

I think that I would have hot tanked it and had it magnafluxed if you are dropping that kind of $$$ into performance upgrades......that and had new freeze plugs put in....

just my .02

I think that I would have hot tanked it and had it magnafluxed if you are dropping that kind of $$$ into performance upgrades......that and had new freeze plugs put in....

just my .02

now that was the pink elephant in the room and nobody wanted to mention it..... i mean you already spent all that money on the parts, whats another 40 bucks for the hot tank and stuff...

Only reason I did not hot tank it is because it ran perfectly fine before I pulled the motor, Josh you should know that one. Plus frankly I am just so excited I just want to go hurry up and build it all tonight but I dont have the rings yet :( I know I should not be in to much of a hurry but I just cant help it. I really want to see this thing right right NOW! :D

Shane

Are you at least honing it a little bit? Honestly, you might as well have it hot tanked and checked. Otherwise it could all be a waste of money. Just my opinion though. The parts look awesome...how long did it take you to arrange them all for the picture? :D
-Thomas

It's irresponsible to put a motor together without a fresh block. The rings will never seat properly if you don't have the cylinders straightened up and/or honed depending on the cylinder's condition.

If it isn't hot tanked you are risking material that is likely throughout the oil galleries restricting them, getting into the check ball inside of the oil pump which bleeds off next to all of the oil pressure, or it can get trapped in smaller areas such as the lifter galleries.

If your bearings are down to copper or worse, the crank will need to be turned down and polished to put it back to round. They also do this to ensure good clearances to provide the crank with sufficient oil supply.

Back