IC tubes HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DemonSC

what can i use to seal the IC tubes besides the gaskets from texas t-birds (the sites down or something) could i just use a bunch of teflon tape or rtv?

Hey I bought a set of those teflon gaskets, anyone want to tell me how they are installed, never done this before. I am not sure exactly how they go on the tubes...:confused:

Great stuff black silicone works wonders if you cant get the teflons gaskets. Its just about goof proof and hard to get off the fingers.

S

ok you have 4 gaskets 3 with flange bolt holes and one round one. The round one goes between the SC top and the upper pipe. just unscrew the top using a spanner wrench ...(at any NAPA) if you are holding the top in your hand the tops coller nut loosens turning it LEFT..... Then one of the ones with flange bolt holes goes between the upper pipe and intercooler...just put the holes on the studs and bolt the tube to the intercooler making sure the gasket is even all the way around and tighten it down. do the bottom tube the same way at the intercooler. then put the last one between the air return manifold and the lower tube where they connect being careful on all of them to make sure the gasket is even all the way around the seal. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO TORQUE THE BOLTS AT THE SEALS DOWN SO THAT THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO VACUUM LEAKS!!!!!!... then your done...:D .. a couple of things.. 1) it may be easier to get the top loose from the upper pipe if you take them off together and remove the top after it is off. 2) the lower pipe has a bolt holding it stable just behind the PS pump and it is usually esier to get off when you have the top pipe off already.....Good Luck
Rick

ok you have 4 gaskets 3 with flange bolt holes and one round one. The round one goes between the SC top and the upper pipe. just unscrew the top using a spanner wrench ...(at any NAPA) if you are holding the top in your hand the tops coller nut loosens turning it LEFT..... Then one of the ones with flange bolt holes goes between the upper pipe and intercooler...just put the holes on the studs and bolt the tube to the intercooler making sure the gasket is even all the way around and tighten it down. do the bottom tube the same way at the intercooler. then put the last one between the air return manifold and the lower tube where they connect being careful on all of them to make sure the gasket is even all the way around the seal. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO TORQUE THE BOLTS AT THE SEALS DOWN SO THAT THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO VACUUM LEAKS!!!!!!... then your done...:D .. a couple of things.. 1) it may be easier to get the top loose from the upper pipe if you take them off together and remove the top after it is off. 2) the lower pipe has a bolt holding it stable just behind the PS pump and it is usually esier to get off when you have the top pipe off already.....Good Luck
Rick

ON the top tube near the IC the collar of the Tube doesnt touch the IC itself, is that ok and is it between the IC and collar that the gasket is placed, thats what I think Im hearing.

loosen the collar nut on the sc top and screw all the way off of the i/c tube and that's where the gasket that looks like a big washer goes. remove the 2 nuts on the i/c end of the tube and then remove the tube and slide the new gasket with the 1 big hole and 2 little holes onto the studs on the i/c, now the bottom tube gaskets ought to be self explanatory.

on the upper tube both ends must be snug. The round gasket goes between the coller and the upper IC tube and then the coller must be screwed onto the top snugly!..Then the intercooler will move a bit back and forth just use a small pry bar to do it. then the other end of the upper tube must be bolted snugly against it with the gasket hung on the 2 studs sticking off the intercooler and make sure the gasket is even all the way around when you tighten it down. YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT HAVE ANY GAP ANYWHERE OR YOUR CAR WILL RUN LIKE $#!+......

personally I never used one...I always took my top off with the upper tube together then put it in a vice used a piece of wood (piece of broom handle) and a hammer to loosen the nut on the top....works great for me...

I always use a strap wrench to get the collar nut off....

When you reassemble with the teflon IC gaskets, you don't have to tighten the crap out of the nuts.....:eek:

It doesn't take much pressure to make them seal....

Just make sure you are tightening the flange nuts equally....

The O ring gasket for the collar nut can be a pain to get it to stay put while you assemble, but if you have a pair of extra hands, it helps......:rolleyes:

When I do the collar nut, I treat it like an oil filter....

Hand tighten then put the strap wrench on it and turn it ¾ of a turn and your done.....:D

Just to add a FYI tip ! -I had some leaky tubes that had factory seals in them. I packed plumbers putty around the joint to seal things up.

I need to make some teflon seals for my SC, I'm in the middle of the head gasket repair experiance. Can any body tell me the thickness to use for teflon replacement gaskets?

Just to add a FYI tip ! -I had some leaky tubes that had factory seals in them. I packed plumbers putty around the joint to seal things up.

I need to make some teflon seals for my SC, I'm in the middle of the head gasket repair experiance. Can any body tell me the thickness to use for teflon replacement gaskets?
if your talking about head gaskets??? use felpro

tin-knocker sells them for $17 a set now ? when i got mine they were $12..... guess bc the competition is long gone eh ?

You could make head gaskets out of Teflon if you wanted to, there are people doing this on other engines but Ive never heard of anybody wanting to do it on an SC. :D

- Dan

The Teflon gaskets worked great but we are still chasing a problem, car idles much better but dies a bit when you come off the gas, cam sensor replaced and didnt work, now we are trying the Ingition module.

Last edited:
if your talking about head gaskets??? use felpro

Sorry I wasn't clear, The teflon thickness I was asking about is for IC tube seals. I will need some IC tube seals to complete my head gasket job ( and I took your advice and used Felpro) . I have source for teflon material, and thought I would make my own.

Back