Turbo SC woes

Call back or email back whome ever you spoke to and tell them to try a proper dyno ... you know, the one that is too far of a drive ...

So, since we don't know what you make at the flywheel, I think 900+ is a bit of an exageration.

Do you have test data on the drive train loss for an AOD with an open converter and 8.8 IRS from a "proper dyno" to support your statement ?

Unless you do, the 20% estimate for AOD and another 5% for open converter sounds like a reasonable number to me.

David

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

someone is beyond removing all doubt.... i mean, you might as well stamp him with the LOSER stamp that i had made....

Last edited:
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

someone is beyond removing all doubt.... i mean, you might as well stamp him with the LOSER stamp that i had made....

Oh. so. very. true.

BTW, David, good luck in getting this thing running!

David, go back and re-read what I posted. Not all AOD's suck up the same power. What I alluded to and wanted you to catch on to is that it is dependent on engine power produced, and what parts are in the aod, there is a ratio and a fixed amount combined. It is NOT a straight percentage. This is a proven fact in the tuning community. What was that about opening your mouth and sounding like an idiot? There is a simple solution to this, and I make zero money on it. But, so far David is happy with his car blowing up. :eek:

Just to add to that, I haven't lost an engine yet on the dyno, even at 1,500+ hp. Nor have I lost traction. Food for thought. ;)

Oh, and the view from over here is great.

Whoa...david's car blew up? When did this happen :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh man.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Was it because you were on hte = wrongz dyno?

David, go back and re-read what I posted. Not all AOD's suck up the same power. What I alluded to and wanted you to catch on to is that it is dependent on engine power produced, and what parts are in the aod, there is a ratio and a fixed amount combined. It is NOT a straight percentage. This is a proven fact in the tuning community. What was that about opening your mouth and sounding like an idiot? There is a simple solution to this, and I make zero money on it. But, so far David is happy with his car blowing up. :eek:

Just to add to that, I haven't lost an engine yet on the dyno, even at 1,500+ hp. Nor have I lost traction. Food for thought. ;)

Oh, and the view from over here is great.

Jason,

Why don't you quit alluding and start give some straight answers. I mean if it's a proven fact in the tuning community and your supposed to be a guy who's in the know, then simply tell me what you feel is a more reasonable estimate and why. If it is a proven fact, there should be some type of technical data or research papers to back it up. If you could post a link or two or even cut and paste a few excerpts, I would appreciate it. Is there a formula..a chart..or do you just shake one of those 8 balls and see what it says.

I'm sure you have a number in mind or you wouldn't be so vocal about my estimates being overstated. Oh wait...I just remembered that's what you enjoy doing. You know...telling people they are wrong or stupid but never really backing up your position. I would honestly like to know the correct number, and you telling me to call someone with a proper dyno isn't getting me any closer to knowing that number.

David

Well..

I dont think Jason stated that David blew his car up otherwise he would have worded the below statement differently

But, so far David is happy with his car blowing up.

I believe it was meant to be more in the meaning of..>Well if David is happy doing things to his car that will cause it to blwo up..So be it. Not that I agree or disagree with Jason..I personally dont think David does anything intentionally to blow his car up..Why would he?

Regardless...Not everyone is out to prove what they know or in some cases write a thesis on it. Some do like the whole thesis writing process even if wrong..Makes em look smart to the untrained eye...Also makes them look quite foolish later on.

Now if I were to see something someone was doing that was wrong or harmfull to thier car I could say

"Hey that's a bad thing to do and will cause such and such to happen"

Or I could just say

"Hey that's that's a bad thing to do"

Or I can say

"Hey Not only is that wrong to do and will cause such and such to occur...But this is why...."

Now it's up to that person to listen and take whatever I say to heart...Believe me....Not believe me...Or do the research to see why I felt that way or believe something to be that way. It shouldnt be up to me to explain everything or even anything more then what I had offered up in the firstplace.

On the other hand you can also listen to someone elses opinion that gives a three page long explanation of why they are right even when they are wrong. It's all up to you to believe or do the research or....

Now when I say "I"...."I" is in general terms of anyone giving or offering information, not "I" ~~~ in just me..

I personally have a great view of the empire state building from my window as well as other cool building at the particular moment

Hmmmm. I see what you are saying. So for instance, my car hasn't blown up yet, so does that mean it is blowing up too? I mean, in the same manner David's is? Granted, he's turbo and I'm autorotored. One big difference though, while David may be happy about his blowing up, if mine is blowing up too....I'm not happy about it.

If one continually does things to ones car that would cause it to perhaps blwo up..One might say that person is happy with thier car blowing up.

Me, I love blowing things up...Fixing them I dont like

Damon,

Turns out the made in China POS timing cover was the source of the coolant leak. I'm guessing that when the balancer started self destructing something smacked into the timing cover hard enough to move it slightly (because one of the allignment holes was ground oversized by CHP) resulting in a small internal leak at the point where the timing cover seals to the block coolant passages.

The new Ford timing cover should be in in a couple days and he can start putting it back together.

David

PS: My motor didn't blow up.

Last edited:

QUOTE]

NEVER lost traction? Ever? You have some sort of secret tire that glues itself to the rollers or do you just do engine dynos? I am thinking there is some point above 1000 hp that some cars will lose traction no matter what. I wonder what that Buick made in the video that was smoking them on the Dyno. I think it was near 1200 but I could be wrong...

And on that note, how do you keep a 1500 hp hog from losing traction at full throttle? Or is full throttle the key?

Chris

Tire Slip

Simple answer,
Jason is full of it, and loves to irritate people. I truly don't understand why you guys respond to guys like him...

Last edited:
This conversation should be a helpful exchange of information, but I think all that is being lost simply because the discussion has taken on such an argumentative tone. Some people just like to get up in a person's face a little bit when they talk. That's just the sort of conversation that they enjoy. Some people prefer a more relaxed, perhaps a more polite discussion. The trouble is, communications between the two simply does not work unless each side makes some concessions. Now my future in-laws have both in the same family, which can make for some interesting dinners, let me tell you.

So, it would be nice if we could all try to make an effort to really reach the other person instead of expecting them to bend over backwards to see our point of view.

(I do not mean this comment to apply equally to all parties - some people are being difficult on purpose, and they should know who they are.)

This conversation should be a helpful exchange of information, but I think all that is being lost simply because the discussion has taken on such an argumentative tone. Some people just like to get up in a person's face a little bit when they talk. That's just the sort of conversation that they enjoy. Some people prefer a more relaxed, perhaps a more polite discussion. The trouble is, communications between the two simply does not work unless each side makes some concessions. Now my future in-laws have both in the same family, which can make for some interesting dinners, let me tell you.

So, it would be nice if we could all try to make an effort to really reach the other person instead of expecting them to bend over backwards to see our point of view.

(I do not mean this comment to apply equally to all parties - some people are being difficult on purpose, and they should know who they are.)

I couldn't agree more...

QUOTE]

NEVER lost traction? Ever? You have some sort of secret tire that glues itself to the rollers or do you just do engine dynos? I am thinking there is some point above 1000 hp that some cars will lose traction no matter what. I wonder what that Buick made in the video that was smoking them on the Dyno. I think it was near 1200 but I could be wrong...

And on that note, how do you keep a 1500 hp hog from losing traction at full throttle? Or is full throttle the key?

Chris

Chris,

The type of dyno is 100% key. Non inertia dyno's are the best way to keep tires from slipping. I have posted video's before, and they usually just get deleted. So far there are only 2 dyno's that I have used that do not slip. 1 does not have a tire to roller connection. You remove the wheel and it bolts directly to the dyno. The other straps from the suspension and pulls the car down on the dyno ... not back and forth by the body. SO, its really not me keeping the 1,500 hp hog from loosing traction at full throttle, its the technology of the dyno.

fwiw i think Jason has been much more helpful, with a much less demeaning tone in this thread than i have ever seen him before. Despite this you are all still attacking him.

Back