Rad fan(Fixed lmao...)

neverfastenough

Hey guys, I tried a seach but The ones I find all seem to have ircm probs. Ive jumped the fan and both the high and low speed run but once pluged back in the car can go all the way past M without coming on, even with defrost on. Like I said I tried 2 IRCM's and it has a new ECT sensor, I remember reading that theres 2 more coolant sensors? Could these be causing my problems? If you need more info on the prob let me know, Ill be in the garage playing:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What year is your SC. Early models, like 89-93 had a fusible link for the fan power and 94-95 actually had fuses under the hood. Have you checked these out? Also have you tried cutting the IRCM wire # 14 to see if the low speed now runs all the time. Plus put your a/c or defroster on and the low speed should run at idle & up to 47mph.

You'll have to trace the wiring harness from the fan motor. I recall it runs around the back of the battery to the power bus.

i found this one its a 20ga and its green for 3in and yelllow untill it goes into shrink wrap, sry for the quality my hands were shaking the garage is cold

fl2.jpg

That's the bundle of wires that have the fusible links. I believe there are 3 or more of them. When a link melts, it usually looks like it. You may have to dig around the group of wires to find all of them.

It must be buried in a wire sleeve some where I doubt thats the prob I think melted wire would stand out.

My 90 melted the fusible link for the fan when the fan motor burned out. On mine the fusible link is a 16ga and you will find it connected to the starter relay on the driver side inner panel. Trace the wire and you will find the link about 4 or 5 inches from the relay. I believe it is a black wire section connected to a yellow wire. If you follow the yellow wire it will lead to the IRCM. It will probably be obvious if the link is melted, however they can separate without showing on the shielding but usually you can feel the soft center if blown. Good luck. John

OK guys Im lost I pulled out the battery and the fusebox and cut back all the sleves. AnnivSpeCpe, I pulled the connector apart (circled) that connected the black and yellow wire and traced the yellow wire about 1.5 ft to were the harness spreads off by the powersteering pump back to the fire wall. I cant find any links at all. The othe end of the connector the black part, goes right were the other fueable link and the white wire are going.

fl2-1.jpg

According to my 89 EVTM you are looking at the correct fusable link for the fan motor.....

Does your fan come on if you unplug the ECT?

hey man i bet ya anything its the fuseable link that went...my 90's rad fan went and i put the new fan in and still couldnt get it to work...i tryed almost everything you tried and it still wouldnt turn on .... so i called a bud and he found the link for me..mine was a blue wire on the solinoid between the batt and fusebox...it cost like 3 bucks to get the stuff to fix it

Ok well the green and yellow fuseable link must not be it then since its 20ga and the fan one, where ever it is, is sposed to be 16ga. Ill take a look for this blue one you speak of in a few min but if anyone has a pic I would greatly appriciate it.

I dont have a single blue wire anywhere in that area now after the years im sure one could have faded but I coulnt locate one. The green one I took the picture of is 20ga fuseable link A The one for the fan is 16ga fuseable link B, Which is MIA, IM beginning to think ford threw theses anywhere on this wire and not just behind the battery by the fuse box because I would have found it by now. Is there any wire I can test for power By the ircm that would let me know that my fuseable even bad.

Ok the fuseable link is good where ever it is. These are results after testing 2 IRCM's

IRCM.jpg

#'s 3 and 4 boh have power going into the IRCM with key on and off..... #'s 1 and 2 have no power with key on or off with defrost or ac on.

Last edited:
I hate to do it in the middle of winter but would cutting the 14 wire and splicing it to the 17 make the fan run in the cars as in condition.

I am not sure about that....

Cutting the #14 wire will cause the slow speed fan to come on.....

At this time of year, it will take a very long time for your SC to get to normal operating temperature.....

Maybe you got 2 bad IRCMs.....:rolleyes:

Are you sure the IRCMs you used were the same part #s as the original one on your SC?

Back